Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: iPhone, iPad, iOS, Apple Watch thread

iPhone, iPad, iOS, Apple Watch thread

Welp the 5G thing got us to upgrade. I placed an order with Verizon for a couple iPhone 12s to upgrade our hand-crank steam-driven Iphone 6’s.

This is pretty unusual, as we are not exactly early-adopters. But after replacing the battery on both of the 6’s once, and the iOS going EOL, and random grumbling from SWMBO about “I’m running out of picture space!” (My perky reply of “well cant you just delete a few?” was met with pursed lips and stony silence), it was time.

Should be here in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Welp the 5G thing got us to upgrade. I placed an order with Verizon for a couple iPhone 12s to upgrade our hand-crank steam-driven Iphone 6’s.
    One of the phones arrived today. Mrs. RJ's is due in tomorrow. Setup and transfer via iCloud took about 10 minutes. I had backed up my stuff, but I ended up using their "phone to phone" option. All you have to do is scan a moving pattern on the new phone from your old phone, they connect up, then do their thing, setting one close to the other.

Name:  IMG_1512.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  59.9 KB

After getting that done, I had to remember to enable the MAC address of the new phone on my network, then it finished it's setup thing with a connection. Re-downloading my Apple content meant entering my password. I had to disable the "zoom" in movement feature; it makes me ill to have icons flying in. I also enlarged the font a bit, makes it easier for me to see with my high correction glasses and narrow field of view. I left the 5G setting in "auto", as the higher speed comes with a battery trade-off, from what I understand. I'm not honestly sure we have 5G Verizon in Tampa. Size is a bit longer than my iPhone 6, it is a bit snappier in response. There's a ton of new features in iOS 14 but I've not delved into that, really.

All in all a very seamless process of upgrading through Verizon.

I ordered a case by Spigen, we used to use them at work. I got one in basic black. It's just as functional as the last couple I've had.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:  IMG_7755.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  41.4 KB

I do need to get a set of ear pods, as they don't come with a set (or a charging brick lol) these days.

Site Supporter
    Getting close to going all-in on Apple, or at least Apple/Sonos.

We were already an iPhone family, since that is what my work gives me and all the relatives do FaceTime. Also, I got an iPad Air 2 back in 2016 I think. Then my wife got an I watch she loves since she can listen to music and accept calls and texts when she is out walking, and we got an Apple TV device for our bedroom.

Now my wife wants an upgrade to her iPhone 7 for Christmas and my iPad Air 2 is dying.

The only things left are our Sonos devices for music, streaming for the family room tv, my Fitbit inspire HR (which I love for step/mileage tracking but I can’t read the damn display in the daytime outside), and our PCs. I’ve had a MSFT pc since they were invented, and am issued a laptop PC by work. Don’t want to pay MSFT 99 a year for office when I retire in a year, and MS system maintenance is a pain. I’m paying close attention to the “office alternatives” thread, and will probably hold out for at least a few months after I retire in a year, surviving with my old desktop and the new iPad. But I’m leaning towards Apple as the long term solution.

The only thing that really irritates me about Apple devices is their lack of user-replaceable batteries. Well that and the price, but since my stepson works for Apple I get a bit of a price break.

I do need to get a set of ear pods, as they don't come with a set (or a charging brick lol) these days.
    I ended up buying a pair of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Sign...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Fit is critical, I had to experiment and ended up with the L ear inserts (I'm usually a M). Sound is decent enough for the gym, connectivity is solid, and the $50 pair comes with a combination charging/carry case, which is convenient.

I got them in white because I figured if I got black, I'd lose them in like 10 minutes.

AT&T has a $700 trade in for an old IPhone X, so I pre-ordered a Pro Max 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Hands View Post
    AT&T has a $700 trade in for an old IPhone X, so I pre-ordered a Pro Max 🙂
    Sim. option from ATT on an XR like I have, going in to discuss the details etc.

My 12 Pro Max came in yesterday, I’m digging it so far though the differences from the 11 Pro Max is minor from what I’ve seen so far. I probably would have waited until next year if they didn’t have the $700 trade in credit for my SIL’s IPhone X and she was paying for the difference on my old IPhone 11 Pro Max.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    ...or at least Apple/Sonos.
    Slight thread drift, but I've been extremely happy with our Sonos system. We have the soundbar (2018 model IIRC), a sub and a couple of the Play:1 for rear left and right on the 5:1. About the only negative I can think of is the lack of BT connectivity direct to the soundbar. Plus i can control it from my phone or iPad.

But I have a small Bose Solo 5 that we had in the RV if I need BT, though. Currently connected to the laptop at my desk where I stream Pandora in background. It also works very well.

PS Very happy with our 2 iPhone 12s so far. Playing with the widgets is pretty cool. I also made a couple shortcuts (call the wife, mainly lol)

They are a big step up for us, since we have iPhone 6s for the longest time. We got one of the two-pack hockey puck wireless charging stations at Costco, and it's nice just to toss the phone onto the puck at night if I need to.

The Apple stuff just works.

Slight thread drift, but I've been extremely happy with our Sonos system. We have the soundbar (2018 model IIRC), a sub and a couple of the Play:1 for rear left and right on the 5:1. About the only negative I can think of is the lack of BT connectivity direct to the soundbar. Plus i can control it from my phone or iPad.

But I have a small Bose Solo 5 that we had in the RV if I need BT, though. Currently connected to the laptop at my desk where I stream Pandora in background. It also works very well.

PS Very happy with our 2 iPhone 12s so far. Playing with the widgets is pretty cool. I also made a couple shortcuts (call the wife, mainly lol)

They are a big step up for us, since we have iPhone 6s for the longest time. We got one of the two-pack hockey puck wireless charging stations at Costco, and it's nice just to toss the phone onto the puck at night if I need to.

The Apple stuff just works.
    Further APPL/Sonos drift but agreed RJ. Bought the Sonos Playbar in 2016, added a pair of play 3's shortly after & a pair of Sonos One's on sale last yr.

Being a glutton/fool, the Playbar is in the bdrm. now w/ the 3's as the One's have the new Arc to compliment them in the liv. room & like you said all controlled by an ipad or ph.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Still love this phone overall, but it’s not much of an upgrade on the iPhone 11 Pro Max which I expected.
    But here are some differences:
    I like the redesign with the flat size, less bezel and the slightly larger screen.
    The 11 Pro Max was no slouch, but the 12 Pro Max does seem a little snappier in the aps opening/closing/switching etc.
    Battery life was fantastic on the 11PM and the 12PM seems about the same, more testing TBD.
    Both have great cameras with good lighting, the 12PM is better in low light overall and is noticeable.

Is it worth the upgrade? IMO it is not unless you get a fantastic deal like I did through AT&T where I traded in my SIL's Iphone X for $700 credit and she's buying my phone.

User Tag List