Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone, iPad, iOS, Apple Watch thread

iPhone, iPad, iOS, Apple Watch thread

I was about to start a thread on iOS 14 and the iPhone 12 but then I thought it might be interesting to have a running thread about the devices and os. If you just want to blather on about android or hate on Apple maybe start a different thread. Hopefully we can keep this one positive and focused on the specific topic.

I watched part of the announcement yesterday. Kind of interesting, but I confess to being confused by the multiple models. iPhone 12, mini, pro, max... I think there’s 5 different models/configurations? Maybe more? Maybe less?

The claim of stronger glass is interesting. Even if it’s not really 4x stronger, stronger is better.

I love that the aesthetic has gone back to the “bumper gate” design. My iPad Pro has the same square edge and I love it, even if I never see it because it’s in a case...

I’m a little annoyed that the cameras still stick off the back. You basically have to get a case regardless of how much stronger the new glass is. But the new car era features and specs sound amazing.

I installed iOS 14 in my iPad the other day, and my iPhone Xs this morning. Some neat things there. Aim feature I’m happy about so far is the ability to change the default browser from safari to chrome.

The new widgets seem interesting as well but I need to play with them some more.

Pretty much the whole even summed up in 12 minutes, although the first 2.5 minutes is about the HomePod mini (which is actually kind of interesting too)

If you open this one in YouTube they’ve bookmarked all the features so you don’t have to watch the entire video
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Currently running 2 iPhone 6s here. Plus an iPad Mini for daily web surfing. Maybe going to upgrade the phones to 11s if there are some bargains to be had this fall. We always generally wait a generation to lower costs, as we buy the phones outright.

No issues with Apple. They make products that work. Heck I have my 30 Gb iPod in a drawer and besides the battery needing to be on charge all the time it’s still operational.

I do have a related question on wireless headphones. Right now I use a corded Bose set in the gym. I like the silicone ear pieces but the wire gets in the way sometimes. Is there a reliable (meaning no drop outs of audio) “go to” pair of BT ear phones that folks suggest these days? The Apple ear inserts never worked for me, I find the plastic too hard and uncomfortable.

I’m pretty deep into Apple products. I own an iPhone XR and iPad 7 for personal use. I use an iMac, MacBook Air, and iPad Pro at work. At work I have Around 200 iPads deployed and I have 200 more on order. I also have around 650 MacBook Airs, 50 or so Pros, around 90 iMacs, plus a few Apple TV’s in use. I manage everything in JAMF.

I’m currently enrolled in a class through the Mil that requires a lot of note taking and writing. I’ve forced myself to go all digital and I’m using my iPad and Air for everything. I would like to transition 100% to the iPad Pro for this but haven’t made the leap yet.

I have iPad OS 14 on my iPad Pro but I have not had time to dig into it yet. I appreciate the video link.

The biggest advantage of Apple products for me are the longevity of their products, the stability of their OS, and their cross device compatibility. Everything works together seamlessly. I also believe their cloud services are second to none. I can work on a project on one device and not worry about being able to access it on another device.

I don’t worry too much about having the latest and greatest Apple product because their hardware specs don’t really change that much from device to device. I would really love to have an iPhone Pro with a built in stylus. I don’t understand why that isn’t a thing yet.

Call me a fan boy if you want but I’ll never go back to Windows or Android. Both, especially Microsoft products, frustrate me to no end.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I do have a related question on wireless headphones. Right now I use a corded Bose set in the gym. I like the silicone ear pieces but the wire gets in the way sometimes. Is there a reliable (meaning no drop outs of audio) “go to” pair of BT ear phones that folks suggest these days? The Apple ear inserts never worked for me, I find the plastic too hard and uncomfortable.
    Not cheap, but check out the AirPod pros. They are designed to be noise canceling and so have a rubber tip that fits in the ear instead of the apple plastic.

Another option that I use with my non-pro AirPods is aftermarket silicone sleeves that fit over the earpiece but still allow the AirPod to fit in the charging case.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Not cheap, but check out the AirPod pros. They are designed to be noise canceling and so have a rubber tip that fits in the ear instead of the apple plastic.

Another option that I use with my non-pro AirPods is aftermarket silicone sleeves that fit over the earpiece but still allow the AirPod to fit in the charging case.
    Thanks, I'll look into that. The ideal shape/style as far as my ear is concerned is the Bose Wired ones I have now, looks like this:

Name:  Screenshot from 2020-10-14 08-23-12.png
Views: 434
Size:  31.6 KB

For work use, my iPad Pro is working quite well. We use OneNote for our in-court case files. I need to get a stylus for it, but thus far it’s a simple matter to take notes on that. Less weight than the work-issued laptop. Once trials start up again, I’m curious to see how running my presentation from it will go. A friend used one in a fairly complicated murder trial last year and spoke highly of it as a PowerPoint runner and notepad replacement.

For personal use, I’ve almost completely retired my own laptop in favor of it. The only major gripe is that I cannot get an Adblock feature running on Chrome.

The iPad Pro isn’t a full laptop replacement for me, but it is pretty close to that. I’ll probably go back to an iPhone next year.

This is a thread fraught with expensive danger.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I went from two refurbished 4s to a refurbished SE. The battery's getting wonky on the SE, so it's either $49 for a replacement battery at the "authorized Apple repair facility" or $400 or so for a 2nd gen SE. I think I know which way I'll go on this.

When it comes to this stuff, I'm very much towards the trailing edge.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    The 2020 SE is much faster, and has a larger, easier to read screen than the 2016 SE. plus, it’s waterproof to 3’ for 30 minutes. I killed my first 2016 SE by accidental drowning. I really like the 2020 and find it a useful upgrade. Mom tried mine and went out and got one the next day, again upgrading from a 2016.

My son’s non-apple phone died about two weeks after I upgraded to the 2020 SE. He loves his new, free 2016 SE.

I’ve had an iPad mini as a work device, and have had a mini 2 as a personal device for so long that the screen color/backlight is getting wonky. Apple store said I’d probably need to get a new device when that started - about a year and a half ago. Still running fine. My next one won’t be a mini, probably. I use it for so many things. About the only thing I don’t is for creative writing.

Apple devices seem to last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post

Apple devices seem to last forever.
    I'm still using an iPhone 5c.

And though we rarely use them anymore, I still have an iPod that's fully functional which I purchased refurbished, and my wife has an older generation iPad which she upgraded from a few years back.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List