Thread: Caleb Giddings on "Off Duty/On Duty"

Caleb Giddings on "Off Duty/On Duty"

Our own @jetfire was on the "Off Duty/On Duty" podcast.

I enjoyed the interview, however Caleb made a statement that has really been rattling around in my head that I though was very poignant:

"I started shooting revolver to help build up patience and build a patient relationship between my eyes and the trigger. Because what I was doing back then was the same thing that a lot of people do when they start shooting fast, is they're letting the reset of the gun be their permission to shoot again and not getting their permission to shoot again from their eyes... [With my gun at the time] I would feel the reset, and I would be like, "Time to shoot!" even if my sights weren't where they should be on the target, which resulted in a lot of poor quality hits."

Caleb Giddings

Caleb referenced Darryl Bolke several times in the interview, and I though the above statement was a good rephrasing of the things Bolke says.
    Last edited by Guerrero; 06-13-2023 at 04:52 PM.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Daryl, imho, is the master of the pithy remark when it comes to defensive use of a firearm. I do not make that statement lightly. He has a knack for reducing a complex set of circumstances to a "truism" which is easily transportable with us as we go about our business in the world at large.

It is a gift. Both for him, and those who listen.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    ...and I though the above statement was a good rephrasing of the things Bolke says.
    Here's a DB quote that I have pondered a lot and my approach to training has shifted in the past few years. The whole conversation through the thread is also of very high quality, thanks to a mix of some of the finest competitive shooters and people-predators on PF.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It is a gift. Both for him, and those who listen.
    Agreed, and I think @jetfire does a fantastic job of translating and adapting some of those concepts; especially when combined with his (Caleb's) competitive accomplishments. I knew I had to miss Revolver Roundup this year but still kick myself as my fondness for wheelguns would have been overflowing with the DB and Caleb instructor combo.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

The things that generally resonate with me come from via the lens of "the street" since that's where most of my experience derives from over the course of a career and living in various locales, (urban and otherise) over several decades.

I've never been a competitive shooter outside of having to compete for a position on our SRT and in training with various domestic and international teams we had the privilege of running exercises with.

No doubt, Caleb has the gift of gab to go along with a steady trigger finger.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Thanks guys! I really enjoyed doing that interview with Bryan, and I’d strongly recommend listening to his other episodes as well!

As far as the idea of visual patience, it’s only been recently that I’ve had the right words to express the concept. It’s something I learned from talking with DB a lot as well as training with Ernest a couple of times. Back in 2012 when I got on the revo train I didn’t necessarily have a way to articulate it, I just knew I was outrunning my headlights but I didn’t know why.

User Tag List