Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 5900 Series Magazines

S&W 5900 Series Magazines

I’m picking up a 5906 this week and it came with some 10 round factory magazines. I’m looking for some 15 and 17 round magazines for it. I know the MecGar magazines have a good reputation. I’ve come across some 15 round magazines made by United Defense LLC, but I can’t find much information about them. They look exactly like a factory magazine with orange follower, same body style and witness holes, just missing the S&W trade mark. Are these any good? Are the ProMag 15 round magazines decent? ProMag stuff is generally hit and miss. Maybe they’re worth the cheap price for a couple range mags. I typically don’t buy “range mags”, but times are what they are. Thanks.

the 5900 series mec-gars I own have all worked, the pro-mags are shit, restrict them to being range mags, no idea about the united defense mags

Thanks. I had a feeling the pro mags would be shit. Would you say they’re worth $16 a piece or complete trash, wait for mec gars to come back around?

I've never had a Promag work reliably. Avoid, avoid, avoid. Get Mec-Gars.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I've never had a Promag work reliably. Avoid, avoid, avoid. Get Mec-Gars.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    Thanks. I had a feeling the pro mags would be shit. Would you say they’re worth $16 a piece or complete trash, wait for mec gars to come back around?
    There are ways to induce a malfunction with a good mag, but no way to make a bad one work well. Spend your $ on stuff that works.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Mec-Gar magazines work great and the company is the OEM supplier for probably a majority of pistol makers. Check Greg Kote LLC for availability.

Yes, Cote appears to have them in stock right now. That outfit has been great to deal with.

Site Supporter
    I found an original Smith mag on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMITH-WESSO...YAAOSwxatflwVu

It's expensive. But I'd rather spend my money on that, instead of a Promag. But if you can get your hands on Mec-Gars from Cote or somewhere else... I'd do that, for sure.

Edit: Oh, crap--it's a 10 rounder. My bad.

How many fourteen-round or fifteen-round magazines does the OP need? I probably have a few OEM magazines (I have magazines from the original 59 to the 5906) I can spare, and it will be a heck of a lot less expensive. I just need to find them.

User Tag List