Thread: Book recommendation on founding of the US

Book recommendation on founding of the US

I was talking with someone who had immigrated here as an adult and they expressed an interest in learning more about the history of the founding of the USA. I struggled to point to a good summary since this was stuff I mostly picked up over many years via history classes and other sources since I grew up here. Is there a good book you guys would recommend I pass on for them to learn more? I think they'd prefer a book that provides a higher level view if possible, but they did express interest in understanding the arguments different groups made in setting up the government, constitutions, etc the way they did so that might also be hard to achieve.

The Federalist Papers at https://guides.loc.gov/federalist-papers/full-text has the definitive explanation of how the US federal government is structured and why.

Hillsdale College's video lecture series might interest him.

https://online.hillsdale.edu/landing...american-story

"This Great American Story: A Land of Hope. This course explores the history of America as a land of hope founded on high principles. In presenting the great triumphs and achievements of our nation’s past, as well as the shortcomings and failures, it offers a broad and unbiased study of the kind essential to the cultivation of intelligent patriotism."

For a detailed look at the Revolutionary War, try “The American Revolution” by Bruce Lancaster.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Revo.../dp/0618127399

Angels in the Whirlwind: The Triumph of the American Revolution by Benson Bobrick

Probably one of the best books I've read on the subject.

If I can recommend a podcast, try the "Revolutions" podcast. Start HERE for the series on the American Revolution.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

These are more about the Revolutionary War, but feature the personalities that would ultimately shape the nation. 1776 by David McCullough is terrific, though if you're looking for a lighter read, try Jeff Shaara's Rise to Rebellion and The Glorious Cause. Historical fiction, but I think most would agree that Shaara does historical fiction right.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

It’s two very long books but I really enjoyed “America the Last Best Hope” BT William Bennett. Volume one starts before the Revolutionary War. If I remember correctly it ends before WWI.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List