Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strategy Games

Site Supporter

Strategy Games

I am three hours away from finishing a forty-eight hour biography of Ulysses S. Grant I've been listening too via audible. The biography is excellent and it has kept me interested throughout the majority of it.

One thing the book has done is rekindle my interest in strategy games. Years ago I played games like Side Meier's Gettysburg, Waterloo:Napoleon's Last Battle, the Close Combat games, and Medieval Total War.

Later on I tried to play Empire Total War, but the nation building aspect of it had become too complex for me. The original Medieval Total War was a fine balance between the battles and the diplomacy, but the new stuff seems awfully complicated.

Does anyone here play strategy games?

Any suggestions on games to try?

Can you make these old games work on new computers?

I'm playing civ 6 right now. Google has been my friend for navigating some of the more nuanced parts of the game.

XCOM enemy unknown is a classic that runs on new pcs and is available on steam.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I pretty much stay away from anything that is turn based, but I have always been a fan of the Close Combat series. The latest entry, "The Bloody First" is the first game in the series to use a 3D engine and it is a lot of fun. Definitely worth buying if you are a fan of the series.

"Firefight" by Sean O'Connor, available on Steam, iOS, and Android. I played the really, really, old Windows version and loved it.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Also try the Black Powder Red Earth game on Steam, been meaning to pick it up.

Does Risk count? If it does, don’t be the guy who just camps out in Australia ‘til the end.

My son is addicted to Hearts of Iron IV. It looks...complicated. The foundation of the game is a WW2 simulation, but the modders have adapted it to just about every conflict. The mod community is vibrant, and some of the mods (based around alternative histories - Kaisereich is probably the most popular) have impressive followings of their own.

I'm a fan of just about every XCOM iteration, dating back to the original. Combat Mission is another favorite, though I haven't played in quite some time.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Xcom is fantastic. I never played the first one but I played the second one, terror from the deep. I’ve replayed it a few times as an adult and it still holds up for me. I think the first one is called ufo defense and I got into the series as a teen with Terror one so that’s my nostalgic hit. I think the terror one may be better since there’s some research improvements.

XCOM Enemy Within is available for the iPad for about $5. Sometimes they drop it lower. Either way it's a bargain. Probably one of the best iPad games available. Tons of replay value. Personally I like it better than XCOM 2, which is also outstanding. XCOM Chimera Squad was just released last month for the PC; hoping other platforms come available shortly.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    XCOM Enemy Within is available for the iPad for about $5. Sometimes they drop it lower. Either way it's a bargain. Probably one of the best iPad games available. Tons of replay value. Personally I like it better than XCOM 2, which is also outstanding. XCOM Chimera Squad was just released last month for the PC; hoping other platforms come available shortly.
    Speak to me of this XCOM game. I've heard of them, but don't really know anything about them. I might finally have a computer soon that can run current (i.e. within the last 10 years) games.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

User Tag List