Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Barrington Declaration

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    So far I have not heard many opinions on the contents of declaration itself nor the validity of the experts and professionals who penned it and support it. They do brandish impressive credentials.

Their declaration states:

“Coming from both the left and right, and around the world, we have devoted our careers to protecting people,” the declaration states. “Current lockdown policies are producing devastating effects on short and long-term public health. The results (to name a few) include lower childhood vaccination rates, worsening cardiovascular disease outcomes, fewer cancer screenings and deteriorating mental health—leading to greater excess mortality in years to come, with the working class and younger members of society carrying the heaviest burden. Keeping students out of school is a grave injustice.”

Why does their opinion differ so much from the experts the government and the media enlist?

Annie Janvier, PhD, one of the declaration’s cosigners and a pediatric and clinical ethics professor at the University of Montreal, said that “it’s not science that seems to be leading what's going on with COVID, it’s public opinion and politics.”

Interesting stuff. What is the truth?
    As with most things, it's probably a little from column A, a little from column B. My guess, not knowing the individuals involved and not knowing as much about the problem as either group, is that that they're both right. Public health people have the job of ending the pandemic, and they advocate strategies that they believe, based on data, will end the pandemic. Their paradigm is "stop pandemic, then return to normal". To get that done, they have to use big picture, simplistic strategies, because the overall population is doesn't understand nuance well.

The opposing group is likely looking at a scenario where the pandemic isn't going to be solved any time soon, so they are aiming for the most overall good, which likely does involve some degree of responsible rules relaxation to allow the other important stuff some priority again.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Shouldn't expect much more than what, exactly? I've provided you with the information available to me; nothing more, nothing less. Do with it what you will but there's no need to be offensive as you do so.
    what's offensive about my post?

Pointing out that there is zero value in unverified 5th hand information and that those that do are creating problems worse than any pandemic?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    what's offensive about my post?

Pointing out that there is zero value in unverified 5th hand information and that those that do are creating problems worse than any pandemic?
    You appear to be characterizing the information I've presented as unverified 5th hand information. It is neither and characterizing it that way is tantamount to calling me, and my friend, liars. I find that offensive.

Site Supporter
    I'm grateful for the conversation here so far, and I think @Bio nailed it on why there's two very different groups of vetted medical professionals advocating very different courses of action.

One's responsibilities during a pandemic are an interesting dilemma, insofar on what's just bad luck, and what's being stupid, and what's legally and morally punishable.

Personally I think existing legal ramifications of knowledge and intent are very much applicable.
    Someone who brought COVID-19 or the Flu to a party unknowingly is just bad luck.
    Someone sick with a disease widely known to be lethal, and they go to a party without proper PPE or disclosure to anyone else might be legally considered to be criminal action. That feels like an easy policy to justify with something like COVID-19, but I fear the slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    You appear to be characterizing the information I've presented as unverified 5th hand information. It is neither and characterizing it that way is tantamount to calling me, and my friend, liars. I find that offensive.
    Because it is both impossible to verify, and you are presenting information that is (at best) third hand to you, making it 4th hand information here.

I do not think you're a liar or would desire to lie about this, but there's the truth we can say and the truth we can prove. Please do not take offense when someone interprets the truth you can say as unverified, because, it *is* unverified to them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Because it is both impossible to verify, and you are presenting information that is (at best) third hand to you, making it 4th hand information here.

I do not think you're a liar or would desire to lie about this, but there's the truth we can say and the truth we can prove. Please do not take offense when someone interprets the truth you can say as unverified, because, it *is* unverified to them.
    Fair enough and not offensive. Rob's approach, on the other hand, was unnecessarily so (as is often the case).

The information I presented is second hand to me, not third hand, and, more importantly, verified by me to my satisfaction. If it wasn't, I wouldn't present it. You don't know me, so you have no particular reason to know that, trust my standards of proof or believe (or disbelieve ) me. Believe me or not, as you wish, and do with the information what you will. I thought for a bit about whether I should bother posting in this thread at all because internet and I came out in favor of posting. It seemed like the more responsible thing to do since I do, in fact, know of two specific cases of reinfection. If nothing else, I feel better about myself for having done it.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Not all medical professionals agree on what this document states.
    • It assumes that that herd immunity is possible because reinfection is not possible. Do we know that yet?
    • Sweden does much of this now but they've lost more people than neighboring countries, and proof of their herd immunity remains elusive.
    • Opening universities has already failed because American college kids seem unable to avoid attending superspreader events.
    • It assumes that typical Americans are responsible enough and smart enough to do the right thing even when we don't know what that is.

Does that make sense?

Okie John
    Yes.

Except we can add now that we do know reinfection is possible: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...764-7/fulltext

Findings: The patient had two positive tests for SARS-CoV-2, the first on April 18, 2020, and the second on June 5, 2020, separated by two negative tests done during follow-up in May, 2020. Genomic analysis of SARS-CoV-2 showed genetically significant differences between each variant associated with each instance of infection. The second infection was symptomatically more severe than the first.
    Interpretation: Genetic discordance of the two SARS-CoV-2 specimens was greater than could be accounted for by short-term in vivo evolution. These findings suggest that the patient was infected by SARS-CoV-2 on two separate occasions by a genetically distinct virus. Thus, previous exposure to SARS-CoV-2 might not guarantee total immunity in all cases. All individuals, whether previously diagnosed with COVID-19 or not, should take identical precautions to avoid infection with SARS-CoV-2. The implications of reinfections could be relevant for vaccine development and application.
    ___

The Lancet is an extremely well respected biomedical journal.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The Lancet is an extremely well respected biomedical journal.
    The content is outside of my wheelhouse, but the Lancet isn't above putting politics over methods: https://www.nraila.org/articles/2016...i-gun-research

Re-Edited Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    The content is outside of my wheelhouse, but the Lancet isn't above putting politics over methods: https://www.nraila.org/articles/2016...i-gun-research
    Doesn't that article imply that The Lancet put methods ahead of politics? If afterall, neither The Lancet or the original authors retracted the study and at best you can quote some tangential third or parties saying, "It's a good journal."

Just because the authors of the original study didn't agree with the hook and sinker line of NRA politics doesn't actually mean the journal is "putting politics above methods". You guys managed to find plenty to cite in there that was positive...you guys argue that others have a political agenda to oppose the parts of the study convenient for your agenda, but argue simultaneously that the study is flawed, because it has parts that don't agree with your agenda.

It seems like the NRA not The Lancet put politics ahead of methods and data...

I'd say I was surprised, but I am not. The NRA is clearly all for maintaining ignorance...
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 10-13-2020 at 07:24 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I think a lot of people “in the know” are aware of the truth. Since the truth does not line up with certain ideologies or missions, it can’t be promoted.

The sciences and the medical profession have been seriously damaged by their handling of the virus.

User Tag List