Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Barrington Declaration

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    • Opening universities has already failed because American college kids seem unable to avoid attending superspreader events.
    To some extent, this depends on the U. The private place I work at has preserved as much of the college experience as they reasonably could, including in-person classes. At this point, we are half way to Thanksgiving, which will see all the students just staying home for the last week of instruction and finals week. While we’ve definitely had kids test positive, it hasn’t gotten out of control (yet). Granted, they’ve thrown an ass ton of money at this, including buying PPE for all faculty and students, and opening an entire in-house contract tracing department, etc. There has been a lot of short term quarantining while waiting for an associate’s neg test, and a few 14-day quarantines over an associate’s pos test, but in all, it’s working.

Moreover Every. Single. Student. That I have has thanked me for being willing to teach in person.

At the state place, *everything* went online with rare special exemptions that were very hard to get. I have two of them, and those kids also thank me, and then tell me how much everything else sucks. Online ed does not have the rosy future that its champions extol. Online looks good on paper, but students hate it, by and large—the outcomes and experience alike just aren’t ready for the big time.

Sort of a sidebar, but there it is from my corner of the new normal.

Oh, and germane to point #1, my wife told me that NPR was reporting some 25 year old confirmed as a second reinfection—with more severe symptoms. I didn’t catch the story myself, but if true, that’s the last thing we need

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    My belief is that the virus pales in comparison to other threats we face, including the lockdown and non use of HCQ.
    Based on your vast knowledge and experience in medicine? Epidemiology? What? More likely your beliefs are based on articles that confirm your bias toward Covid19 being harmless.

Members here routinely defer to the long experience of SMEs on guns and ammo. But regarding a virus that causes inconvenience, and all of a sudden it's "the experts don't know shit". The opinions in this thread are largely like the new guy who joins and says "my Taurus is the best pistol ever".
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post

Oh, and germane to point #1, my wife told me that NPR was reporting some 25 year old confirmed as a second reinfection—with more severe symptoms. I didn’t catch the story myself, but if true, that’s the last thing we need
    I'll try to find out more details this week, but my boss has a friend (doctor, GP I think) who caught it early, was sick got over it. Caught it a second time, was very sick, his sister caught it from him, she died. I'll need to double check the story, but I heard that pretty early on, and that, in combo with the Chinese SARS study that showed that antibodies weren't as persistent over time as many other virii, made me personally skeptical of many people's idea of the easy button of herd immunity or vaccine. Could be different strains that vary enough, I suppose.

We need to get over this notion that we can educate or TLA people out of their biases.

Humans start and end with bias. If someone tells you they don’t, you should run the fuck away. If they tell you they don’t because:education or because:ethics (or god forbid because:religion) you should kneecap them and run away so they can’t chase you.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Based on your vast knowledge and experience in medicine? Epidemiology? What? More likely your beliefs are based on articles that confirm your bias toward Covid19 being harmless.

Members here routinely defer to the long experience of SMEs on guns and ammo. But regarding a virus that causes inconvenience, and all of a sudden it's "the experts don't know shit". The opinions in this thread are largely like the new guy who joins and says "my Taurus is the best pistol ever".
    Not comparable.

The virus does not just have an inconvenient effect.

The virus isn’t harmless. Neither is the over reaction.

Experts are not all knowing. They give their advice and you take in common conjunction with the totality of the situation.

Experts are often wrong.

The experts disagree about what to do.

Site Supporter
    I've mentioned this in the COVID thread. A good friend of mine has first hand knowledge of two people who have been reinfected, one of whom passed it to his wife the second time. She died from it leaving two school age children. Each individual was reinfected about 3 months after the first infection.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I've mentioned this in the COVID thread. A good friend of mine has first hand knowledge of two people who have been reinfected, one of whom passed it to his wife the second time. She died from it leaving two school age children. Each individual was reinfected about 3 months after the first infection.
    What matters is not that this happened (let's assume for a moment that 5th hand information is valid to begin with), but the LIKELIHOOD that it will happen. and even moreso, the likelihood that it will happen to you or yours.

Of course, in a forum where people justify $3k "pistols" and flouting the NFA under the heading of "it's not the odds, it's the stakes" I suppose we shouldn't expect much more...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    To my limited understanding, reinfection has been a known thing for a while. What is not known is whether the reinfection rate is sufficient to prevent herd immunity without a vaccine. With a vaccine, herd immunity should go pretty quick based on what little we know about the reinfection dwell, if people accept the vaccine and don't go full retard antivaxxer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    What matters is not that this happened (let's assume for a moment that 5th hand information is valid to begin with), but the LIKELIHOOD that it will happen. and even moreso, the likelihood that it will happen to you or yours.

Of course, in a forum where people justify $3k "pistols" and flouting the NFA under the heading of "it's not the odds, it's the stakes" I suppose we shouldn't expect much more...
    Shouldn't expect much more than what, exactly? I've provided you with the information available to me; nothing more, nothing less. Do with it what you will but there's no need to be offensive as you do so.

So far I have not heard many opinions on the contents of declaration itself nor the validity of the experts and professionals who penned it and support it. They do brandish impressive credentials.

Their declaration states:

“Coming from both the left and right, and around the world, we have devoted our careers to protecting people,” the declaration states. “Current lockdown policies are producing devastating effects on short and long-term public health. The results (to name a few) include lower childhood vaccination rates, worsening cardiovascular disease outcomes, fewer cancer screenings and deteriorating mental health—leading to greater excess mortality in years to come, with the working class and younger members of society carrying the heaviest burden. Keeping students out of school is a grave injustice.”

Why does their opinion differ so much from the experts the government and the media enlist?

Annie Janvier, PhD, one of the declaration’s cosigners and a pediatric and clinical ethics professor at the University of Montreal, said that “it’s not science that seems to be leading what's going on with COVID, it’s public opinion and politics.”

Interesting stuff. What is the truth?

User Tag List