Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Barrington Declaration

Great Barrington Declaration

I ran across this the other day and wondered what you all thought about it. I know there are a few of you here who seem to know quite about about Covid-19.

https://gbdeclaration.org/

From the website:

On October 4, 2020, this declaration was authored and signed in Great Barrington, United States, by:

Dr. Martin Kulldorff, professor of medicine at Harvard University, a biostatistician, and epidemiologist with expertise in detecting and monitoring infectious disease outbreaks and vaccine safety evaluations.

Dr. Sunetra Gupta, professor at Oxford University, an epidemiologist with expertise in immunology, vaccine development, and mathematical modeling of infectious diseases.

Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, professor at Stanford University Medical School, a physician, epidemiologist, health economist, and public health policy expert focusing on infectious diseases and vulnerable populations.

Site Supporter
    It is yet another piece of evidence showing that the business shutdowns and stay at home orders were a huge mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Not all medical professionals agree on what this document states.
    • It assumes that that herd immunity is possible because reinfection is not possible. Do we know that yet?
    • Sweden does much of this now but they've lost more people than neighboring countries, and proof of their herd immunity remains elusive.
    • Opening universities has already failed because American college kids seem unable to avoid attending superspreader events.
    • It assumes that typical Americans are responsible enough and smart enough to do the right thing even when we don't know what that is.

Does that make sense?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Agree with Okie John.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    It is yet another piece of evidence showing that the business shutdowns and stay at home orders were a huge mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. It’s clear the lockdown has done so much more damage than the virus. Especially since we seem to have effective treatments for the virus.

Sunetra Gupta (born March 1965) is an British infectious disease epidemiologist and a professor of theoretical epidemiology at the University of Oxford. She has performed research on the transmission dynamics of various infectious diseases, including malaria, influenza and COVID-19, and has received the Scientific Medal of the Zoological Society of London and the Rosalind Franklin Award of the Royal Society. Gupta is also a novelist and a recipient of the Sahitya Akademi Award.

Seems to me she might know what she is talking about.

I'm just a simple man trying to make sense out of all the conflicting information. I sincerely want to do whats right. With everything so politicized these days, it is difficult to determine what that is.

I wonder what makes these "experts" less than the government, media and CDC "experts". They seem to have decent credentials. So do these folks that support the Declaration:

Dr. Rajiv Bhatia, physician, epidemiologist and public policy expert at the Veterans Administration, USA

Dr. Stephen Bremner,professor of medical statistics, University of Sussex, England

Dr. Anthony J Brookes, professor of genetics, University of Leicester, England

Dr. Helen Colhoun, ,professor of medical informatics and epidemiology, and public health physician, University of Edinburgh, Scotland

Dr. Angus Dalgleish, oncologist, infectious disease expert and professor, St. George’s Hospital Medical School, University of London, England

Dr. Sylvia Fogel, autism expert and psychiatrist at Massachusetts General Hospital and instructor at Harvard Medical School, USA
    Dr. Eitan Friedman, professor of medicine, Tel-Aviv University, Israel

Dr. Uri Gavish, biomedical consultant, Israel

Dr. Motti Gerlic, professor of clinical microbiology and immunology, Tel Aviv University, Israel

Dr. Gabriela Gomes, mathematician studying infectious disease epidemiology, professor, University of Strathclyde, Scotland
    Dr. Mike Hulme, professor of human geography, University of Cambridge, England

Dr. Michael Jackson, research fellow, School of Biological Sciences, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
    Dr. Annie Janvier, professor of pediatrics and clinical ethics, Université de Montréal and Sainte-Justine University Medical Centre, Canada
    Dr. David Katz, physician and president, True Health Initiative, and founder of the Yale University Prevention Research Center, USA

Dr. Andrius Kavaliunas, epidemiologist and assistant professor at Karolinska Institute, Sweden
    Dr. Laura Lazzeroni, professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences and of biomedical data science, Stanford University Medical School, USA
    Dr. Michael Levitt, biophysicist and professor of structural biology, Stanford University, USA.
    Recipient of the 2013 Nobel Prize in Chemistry.

Dr. David Livermore, microbiologist, infectious disease epidemiologist and professor, University of East Anglia, England

Dr. Jonas Ludvigsson, pediatrician, epidemiologist and professor at Karolinska Institute and senior physician at Örebro University Hospital, Sweden
    Dr. Paul McKeigue, physician, disease modeler and professor of epidemiology and public health, University of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Dr. Cody Meissner, professor of pediatrics, expert on vaccine development, efficacy, and safety. Tufts University School of Medicine, USA
    Dr. Ariel Munitz, professor of clinical microbiology and immunology, Tel Aviv University, Israel

Dr. Yaz Gulnur Muradoglu, professor of finance, director of the Behavioural Finance Working Group, Queen Mary University of London, England

Dr. Partha P. Majumder, professor and founder of the National Institute of Biomedical Genomics, Kalyani, India

Dr. Udi Qimron, professor of clinical microbiology and immunology, Tel Aviv University, Israel

Dr. Matthew Ratcliffe, professor of philosophy, specializing in philosophy of mental health, University of York, England

Dr. Mario Recker, malaria researcher and associate professor, University of Exeter, England
    Dr. Eyal Shahar, physician, epidemiologist and professor (emeritus) of public health, University of Arizona, USA
    Dr. Karol Sikora, physician, oncologist, and professor of medicine at the University of Buckingham, England

Dr. Matthew Strauss, critical care physician and assistant professor of medicine, Queen’s University, Canada
    Dr. Rodney Sturdivant, infectious disease scientist and associate professor of biostatistics, Baylor University, USA
    Dr. Simon Thornley, epidemiologist and biostatistician, University of Auckland, New Zealand
    Dr. Ellen Townsend, professor of psychology, head of the Self-Harm Research Group, University of Nottingham, England

Dr. Lisa White, professor of modelling and epidemiology, Oxford University, England

Dr. Simon Wood, biostatistician and professor, University of Edinburgh, Scotland

Site Supporter
    If you want to do the right thing, then there is only one question to ask. What does the most harm?

From my perspective, it’s clear that the lockdown has done more harm. Others disagree. At this point what to do should just be left up to the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I'm just a simple man trying to make sense out of all the conflicting information. I sincerely want to do whats right. With everything so politicized these days, it is difficult to determine what that is.
    That's my exact problem, too.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Not all medical professionals agree on what this document states.
    • It assumes that that herd immunity is possible because reinfection is not possible. Do we know that yet?
    • Sweden does much of this now but they've lost more people than neighboring countries, and proof of their herd immunity remains elusive.
    • Opening universities has already failed because American college kids seem unable to avoid attending superspreader events.
    • It assumes that typical Americans are responsible enough and smart enough to do the right thing even when we don't know what that is.

Does that make sense?

Okie John
    We can add to the original post the 500 doctors who wrote to Trump opposing the shutdown. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-shutdown.html

The last data I saw from Sweden shows that they have significantly slowed the spread of the virus through common sense measures without killing businesses or jobs, while many other countries in Europe that had strict lockdowns are now seeing increases in their number of cases. This virus will likely be with us at least until next summer (assuming vaccine approval before the end of 2020 and widespread distribution by late spring of 2021). The sustainable measures taken by Sweden can be kept up that entire time and much longer if necessary. How long is a shutdown sustainable?

At this point we do know the right things. Of course not everyone is going to do the right things, but that is exactly the argument liberals use in favor of banning guns.

User Tag List