Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Tools and Resources

1911 Tools and Resources

So against my better judgement I think I am going to try some home gunsmithing on my 1911s. I have a pair of USGI rebuilds that I’d like to tweak on a little, triggers, safety, MSH, etc. One won’t feed the last round of the mag so I will have to correct that as well.

I’m going to prefer the Kuhnhausen manual to start.

Any other book or DVD resources worth buying?
    What tools should I start at with? I am working on a Brownells order.

With the comment that smithing on USGI rebuilds may significantly lower financial and historical value, eye protection, a good set of screwdrivers, a bench block, calipers, a hammer with nylon and brass heads, a set of punches, Dykem, and 10X magnifiers are a good place to start. Those will allow you to get the pistol apart and back together and allow you to look at parts and issues. As you tackle other tasks, the necessary tools will become apparent as there are a lot of specific tools for some 1911 tasks. For example, replacing the plunger tube requires a specific tool. Fitting barrels requires specific tools like bench bushings and certain files. No need to buy until you are ready to do those tasks.

These are USGI slides and parts on Essex frames that Cylinder and Slide assembled about a decade ago and was selling direct. I picked up the pair from Bill at the big Tulsa gun show. Not sure if there is much value but will defer to you guys.

Take a 1911 smithing class at Cylinder and Slide with Bill Laudridge. My wife gifted me this week long course for my 50th birthday. It will cover most everything to work up a reliable 1911 and maintain it.

Check it out on their web site https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/NovemCustomClass

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    These are USGI slides and parts on Essex frames that Cylinder and Slide assembled about a decade ago and was selling direct. I picked up the pair from Bill at the big Tulsa gun show. Not sure if there is much value but will defer to you guys.
    Nope, Essex frames have no historical value. The slides may have historical value. If USGI and not "hard slides", they also are not hardened in the same manner as a modern slide. Colt, Remington-Rand, and Ithaca slides are not hardened. Those would be the most common USGI slides.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Nope, Essex frames have no historical value. The slides may have historical value. If USGI and not "hard slides", they also are not hardened in the same manner as a modern slide. Colt, Remington-Rand, and Ithaca slides are not hardened. Those would be the most common USGI slides.
    I have researched the slides a few times and get everything from they are hardened NM overruns to just surplus. The only markings are 7790314 on the left side, a M on the top of the slide with a center line mark, and TZ on the right side.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I have researched the slides a few times and get everything from they are hardened NM overruns to just surplus. The only markings are 7790314 on the left side, a M on the top of the slide with a center line mark, and TZ on the right side.
    Those are post-war replacement slides. They are great for modern builds. I used a Colt replacement slide for a Bullseye gun about a decade ago. The port side roll mark was mostly removed by polishing the slide. The Colt markings on the starboard side are still intact.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I really like 1911s, and have some nice ones and some mediocre ones. I can detail strip them, do some very minor work, but have found my most valuable tool is my cell phone, and best resource is the gunsmith I can reach.

A man has to know his limitations.

I still enjoy some 1911 smiting from time to time. There are a few things I have gotten pretty good at but still haven't mastered barrel fitting or blending a grip safety, and I'm definitely no Jason Burton.

I learned a ton from reading the gunsmith forum on 1911 forums, stuff the manuals and books never tell you. One thing I have learned is if a part needs fitting, put the effort into the lower cost part whenever possible. That way, if you screw it up, it won't cost as much to fix your mistake.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Adding a new thumb safety or fitting a new grip safety?

One is a little complex...the other is a lot complex. Beaver tail safeties require a radius jig and a part cut for that exact radius. Usually a dremel is needed. As is an enormous amount of sandpaper.

A thumb safety you can get done with a #2 safe sided pillar file. Which tends to be a very useful part for 1911 fitting in general. I use mine for lots of stuff on the 1911.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List