Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Browning Hi Power

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Then there's Serpico, where he goes into a gun store and buys a BHP. Going from memory, the dialogue went, "What do you need all that ammo for, you going to take on an army?" "No, just a division."
    I haven’t seen Serpico in years, but that’s great! John Wayne certainly emptied his Hi Power in the movie. My wife is a shooter, but wasn’t familiar with the Hi Power. That’s been taken care of. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Are the lighter CZ 75s suitable for EDC?

I've seen quite a few reviews and comments like "I wouldn't carry it because it's too heavy". Which is odd because 1911s weigh more . and people swear they carry them 24/7.
    I don't own any CZs, only handled them at the LGS, so insert caveat here.

You are correct, if you can handle the weight of a 1911 for carry, the CZ 75 and variants won't be a problem (if they are talking about a Shadow2, I have no idea but that thing does look heavy). They are also slimmer, like the Hi power (which I did carry for a short while) and thus should be a bit easier to conceal.

Finally, the polymer versions (P-O7 etc...) look like the natural modern evolution of the CZ 75 and they aren't any more heavy to carry than a Glock.

I'm heavily invested in Glocks and, with our present weapon drought, I'm not looking to try CZs, but, were our situation different, I'd certainly give them a hard look.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    My humble submission:

Attachment 61660
    That maintains the look perfectly and appears to be very practical. How do you like that safety and those sites?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Both the safety and the sights are a bit of “an acquired taste”.

The safety is an original and like most, a bit on the mushy side. IIRC, I enlarged the capture hole for the spring, increased it’s weight a bit, and also enlarged the corresponding detent a bit. This was a number of years back. The sights are quick. At one point, I toyed with the idea of putting a gold bead in place of the fiber optic. This was before I frequented the reading glasses display at the drug store. Now I think they are near perfect.

I strayed away from the BHP for a number of years, onto revolvers as EDC. I’m still there, but the Browning is certainly something I could feel comfortable going back to. It just “feels” right and carries even better.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
    I would speculate Browning will restart production again after pent up demand and interest create a higher profit margin. Everyone wants one now that they are not being produced.

If I recall correctly, in the late 90s Colt was to stop production of 1911 pistols and folks were mining for Colts as they were to be extinct.
    Not going to happen. Even if they did, the price would be at least $1500, which would immediately limit the market and production. If someone could do what KBI did with FEG and the Charles Daly HPs, plus a few minor tweaks to account for the last 12 years and what owners are having done for custom work (some type of gripping feature on front/back strap, different sights, etc.), I don't think they'd have any problem selling them at $800-850. Not sure if that's worth it, considering KBI was losing money selling them at $350-400 12 years ago.

OP - great find. I've just gotten back into HPs and I kind of went off the deep end. I have 1 at Nighthawk, 1 at Novak's, and an FEG at APW - all because years ago I stupidly sold an FN HP that Don Williams had worked on. Just picked up a Charles Daly, too, which will be my primary shooter.

If anyone wants to unload an FN marked HP like CDNN blew out years ago, you know where to find me.

I've been a Hi Power fan since the '60s, had I don't even know how many. I carried and competed with a Hi Power, did the 250 class at Gunsite with one, etc. A svelte, reliable, handsome pistol, in my humble opinion.

Much as I admire Hi Powers, I sincerely doubt FN took them out of production, to reintroduce them later to take advantage of pent up demand. One can never say never, but I just don't see it in the current World of inexpensive, uber high capacity, polymer pistols. I still enjoy the three examples I have left, but don't see production being resumed by FN. In the US, undoubtedly the market with the highest civilian demand for pistols, from what I can see today's buyers want cheap, they want black or FDE, the want the highest possible capacity, they want rails for attachment of all manner of paraphernalia perceived as being the Tactikoolest on the block/at the range/among one's shooting buddies, etc
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
    I've been a Hi Power fan since the '60s, had I don't even know how many. I carried and competed with a Hi Power, did the 250 class at Gunsite with one, etc. A svelte, reliable, handsome pistol, in my humble opinion.

Much as I admire Hi Powers, I sincerely doubt FN took them out of production, to reintroduce them later to take advantage of pent up demand. One can never say never, but I just don't see it in the current World of inexpensive, uber high capacity, polymer pistols. I still enjoy the three examples I have left, but don't see production being resumed by FN. In the US, undoubtedly the market with the highest civilian demand for pistols, from what I can see today's buyers want cheap, they want black or FDE, the want the highest possible capacity, they want rails for attachment of all manner of paraphernalia perceived as being the Tactikoolest on the block/at the range/among one's shooting buddies, etc
    Don't forget, when I was a youngster, the BHP WAS the Tactikoolest gun with the highest possible capacity as used by the SAS and FBI HRT..... They were not cheap though....

I've just installed a C&S No Bite hammer on mine, and will try it out tomorrow.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Some say that the older HP's metallurgy is not suited to withstand +p ammo and especially +p+. HP slides are fairly light. This fact is one reason that these pistols have a super heavy hammer spring which assists in retarding slide velocity. The op's pistol is valuable, and for this reason I would not alter it by removing the magazine safety. I have owned several HP's and had a nice one marred when a ham fisted person had great difficulty removing this safety mechanism. I fret that this might happen to the op's beautiful handgun.

And now I need a Hi Power, dammit.

What is a "good price" for one of the "T" or "C"" era/series pistols?

If those of you who know the HP were going to select one for a friend...?
    A nice one, but not a "safe queen", that will be paired with a proper holster and actually get shot?

What would you pick out and why?

A Hi Power and a Beretta 92FS are on my short list to acquire within the next year or so.

User Tag List