Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 278

Thread: One Dead After Shooting at Protest in Denver

  1. #41
    So I'm speculating a bit based on having been approached about these Pinkerton gigs before. I never got involved as even though the guys I would work with were legit, the licensing issues were sketchy at best. From initial impressions this is the goat show that ensues when you combine assclowns with poor business practices in the security field.

    I would bet good money that Pinkerton in no way shape or form had anything to do with training and equipment. They find a sub-contractor who then finds someone to work these kinds of details. It honestly would surprise me if this guy and the subcontractor have their licensing in order to do armed security. Whether or not any kind of "training" was actually done is also suspect.

    ETA @TGS gave a much better description of how this stuff works/ is supposed to work. My experience is that alot of these gigs end up filled with a body, any body, because the position needs to be filled right now.
    Last edited by pyrotechnic; 10-11-2020 at 10:50 AM.

  2. #42
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Seminole Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The vast majority of private security firms don't really have UOF training. They act as more of a "talent pool", if you will. Caveat: I have no idea about Pinkerton.

    You go to XYZ Security with a certification class and private detective/security guard license under your belt that, A) fulfills a given state's requirement for licensed security guards and, B) the company deems appropriate for the position you're looking to fill, and bada-bing-bada-boom...you're on the job, and bounce from contract to contract. The security company doesn't really have anything to do with it other than putting bodies in slots as the client deems appropriate.

    Companies with standardized in-house training are fairly rare unless they're doing it as part of a client's requirement, such as DHS's Federal Protective Service guard contract requirements, US State Department's Worldwide Protective Services' contract, DOE SPO1/2/3 contracts, etc. As far as I know, Gavin de Becker & Associates is one of the only companies that has a robust in-house training program on their own volition. For many smaller contracts like personal protection, the guns will be owned by the individual, not the company or client. That can also depend on the state, such as New Jersey which prohibits company guns and requires the individual licensed security guard to own their piece.

    So, usually what you end up with is prior police or .mil working a protection job with 1-3, maybe 5 days of very basic, frankly low-end training. I have no idea how this guy and his apparent lack of background was working this type of job....it's entirely possible that we're looking at incorrect information right now. It's the errornet, after all.
    Thanks for this...

    Genuine question out of curiosity...

    What are the legal constraints on hired security engaging people on behalf of clients?

  3. #43
    THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    West
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrotechnic View Post
    So I'm speculating a bit based on having been approached about these Pinkerton gigs before. I never got involved as even though the guys I would work with were legit, the licensing issues were sketchy at best. From initial impressions this is the goat show that ensues when you combine assclowns with poor business practices in the security field.

    I would bet good money that Pinkerton in no way shape or form had anything to do with training and equipment. They find a sub-contractor who then finds someone to work these kinds of details. It honestly would surprise me if this guy and the subcontractor have their licensing in order to do armed security. Whether or not any kind of "training" was actually done is also suspect.
    This is a target the shooter posted on his facebook page. No context for distance, etc, but... if he's posting this target as an example of shooting he is proud of.... more training would be advisable.


  4. #44
    10.3" Master Race TGS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    "The Grim"
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Thanks for this...

    Genuine question out of curiosity...

    What are the legal constraints on hired security engaging people on behalf of clients?
    They are usually limited to self-defense like any other person, unless empowered by state/federal law to effectuate arrests; examples being Virginia Special Conservators of Peace, an off-duty cop in Texas working a protection gig, or a guard on a federal contract who has Special Deputation by the US Marshals, or even some states which have shopkeepers' rights for loss prevention/guards to make misdemeanor arrests.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

  5. #45
    Since it was a “right wing protestor” that was shot, I’m just glad to see the media putting this on every headline and front story by their talking heads.

    Oh wait......nevermind.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by NWshooter View Post
    Since it was a “right wing protestor” that was shot, I’m just glad to see the media putting this on every headline and front story by their talking heads.

    Oh wait......nevermind.
    It's on the front page of the BBC, at the top of their US & Canada section and I only had to scroll down about a page on the app (which covers world news, not just US & Canada).

    Name:  Screenshot from 2020-10-11 11-06-49.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  88.9 KB

    edit: And just so no one has a conniption that "DNC" link in the toolbar is a link to the FTC's "do not call" info page: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...alls-and-email
    Last edited by jh9; 10-11-2020 at 11:15 AM.

  7. #47
    critical race weary blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns
    I foresee a remake of Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead


    It's on the main page of USA Today
    ...and just like that, I woke up one morning and the America I knew and loved was gone.

  8. #48
    Member jd950's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Rocky Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    This is a target the shooter posted on his facebook page. No context for distance, etc, but... if he's posting this target as an example of shooting he is proud of.... more training would be advisable.
    I'm not sure more pistol training will be available to him any time soon.

  9. #49
    Site Supporter Suvorov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Occupied Kalifornia - SF Bay Area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    This is a target the shooter posted on his facebook page. No context for distance, etc, but... if he's posting this target as an example of shooting he is proud of.... more training would be advisable.

    Interesting - apparently the RDS does not help with anticipation/trigger jerk. Still - he was able to stop the “threat” when it counted.

  10. #50
    Site Supporter Zincwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Central Texas
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •