Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Revolver Reloading Hand Preference

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Im always tempted to get a moon clipped gun after watching him.
    They will spoil you. Especially if it’s a .45, nothing reloads in a revolver faster that a 230 RN in moons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I went to the academy in the summer of 1973. We had to buy our own equipment but the police supply store and the department recommended Safariland leather, including their dump pouches. The training Sergeant who did our orientation described the correct way to wear our leather, with the holster on the strong side and the dump pouch on the weak side to present a balanced appearance (there's a reason for you - lol).

Half way through the first range session I figured out dumping loose rounds into my weak hand was a loosing proposition. At the same police supply place they sold a stainless, spring steel loading strip called the "Speed-E-Loader", if I remember right. It held six rounds pointed in the same direction in the dump pouch. Instead of dumping it out you pulled it out by a little wire tab that with a bit of practice put it in the right position for a weak hand reload. I learned to open and dump the empties with my M-28 still in my shooting hand, then feed the 6 rounds of wad-cutters into the cylinder using the Speed-E-Loader.

This ingrained loading technique adapted easily for my transition to the 1911 Government Model when I got off probation. Shooting PPC with a bull gun a couple years later I used Dade Screw-Machine loaders and the weak hand reload worked like a charm. When I discovered Moonclips and 45 ACP revolvers for steel combat and IDPA matches the by now ingrained weak hand reload was a natural.

Interestingly, although I initially emptied and reloaded single action revolvers by switching the gun to the weak hand, when I started shooting black powder cartridges (45 Colt of course) I had to change my technique. Five rounds of full power, black powder loads heat up the gun way faster than smokeless powder will. To the point the revolver is too hot to handle, particularly after a second cylinder. I have developed a technique to keep the SA in the strong hand to avoid burning the fingers and palm of the left hand. It's slow but I'm too old and busted up to compete in CAS stuff any more and this is a lot easier on the digits. (smile)

Dave

I’m an old man, the FBI method was taught when I went through the first academy. 40 years later I’ve tried loading with my left hand but it’s my opinion (we all have them) that if things get sporty I’m better off with the open revolver locked in my left paw while my right more dexterous hand tries to hit chambers bouncing around due to outside influences.

Well, as SA revolvers have been mentioned, I will say that one reason I ain’t skeered of gettin’ kilt in tha streets, if armed with a single-action sixgun, is because they can be loaded right quickly, while maintaining a firing grip, in my left hand. In retirement, my left side is tending to become my “primary” side, for powerful handguns, and, yeah, I just like single-action sixguns.

Of course, that means that I am a lefty, reloading with my right hand, but like many, if not most lefties, my right hand is able to do a thing. (Keep in mind, I started carrying, on my right side, in 1983/1984, for reasons. Long-stroke DA triggers are caveman-simple.) I may not be able to write, worth crap, with my right hand, but, otherwise, can largely “pass” as being a righty.

E.T.A.: I am not saying that I have defaulted to carrying SA revolvers, but they are friendly to aging hands and arms, and, I am retired from LEO-ing, so, I just might, especially if where feral hogs are one of the threats. The gentlest-recoiling handgun, that can still deliver a heavy, bone-crushing big bore bullet, is an SA revolver. Our home is surrounded by civilized, urban parts of Houston, Texas, but thirty miles away, in the eastern part of this county, some feral dogs were chasing a feral hog, which smashed its way THROUGH THE WALL of my mother’s detached garage, and, in the next county, to the east, one or more feral hogs apparently attacked and partially ATE a petite home health care nurse, who had arrived at the home of one of her clients. No, not a tall tale; that is how what the Medical Examiner ruled.
    Last edited by Rex G; 10-12-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Im always tempted to get a moon clipped gun after watching him.
    03RN:

Moon clip guns are probably the easiest platform to reload. I love the concept. That said, for daily concealed carry, I have yet to find a way to securely carry a reload that protects the moon clip from bending.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    03RN:

Moon clip guns are probably the easiest platform to reload. I love the concept. That said, for daily concealed carry, I have yet to find a way to securely carry a reload that protects the moon clip from bending.

Bruce
    When I carry my 10mm GP100 I usually drop two moonclipped reloads in my front pocket. So far I have yet to bend the Ranch Products moonclips I use. I do have ladies ask “Is that a reload in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?”.

Pretty much all my revolver reloading nowadays is limited to my J's with 4 round speed strips. Reloading a J with a speed strip using your non dominant hand sucks. Experimented with it, hated it, will continue to use the FBI method.

I think the non dominant hand reload has merit with speed loaders and moon clips.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    03RN:

Bruce
    Bruce,

Take a look t this Moonclip carrier from DelFatti Leather:

http://www.delfatti.com/PMC-PO%20Page.html

I have a couple of the 45 ACP version and they are pretty slick. Ya still have a lump in your pocket but at least the Moonclip is protected.

Dave

Site Supporter
    There is always the New Yawk reload. Start at about 3:20.

Last edited by HCM; 10-13-2020 at 10:33 PM.

“My theory is that once the 2X2 pouch, followed by speed loaders arrived on the scene, the earlier practice of transferring your revolver from your dominant to supporting hand continued. Instead of reloading loose rounds from your pocket, an agent would reload from the 2X2 pouch on his belt. That practice evolved into reloading with your speed loader in your dominant hand.
    . . .

My reasoning behind my assumption is that it probably is easier to reload loose rounds with a shooter’s dominant hand. Ensuing generations of agents and trainers probably continued the practice when the 2X2 pouches and speed loaders came on scene.”

Bruce,
    This is correct. When the Bureau finally adopted speedloaders, it only issued one per agent. On the version of the Possible Course in the late revolver days (based iirc on the Tactical Revolver Course) there was an explicit prohibition on using more than one speed loader and one 2x2 pouch to run the course. The remaining rounds were on your person in your pocket, so you still had to be adept at loading single rounds.

This traces back to Stage 2 of the original PPC of the late 30’s where you started at the 60 yard line loaded with 5 and with 35 more in your pocket and ran the stage in 5 & 3/4 minutes. At the 60 and the 50 you had to reload in the prone position. After all these years I still think the FBI load is the most efficient method from prone if you lack a speedloader and you don’t have to contend with sticky fire-formed magnum cases.

Primitive reloading aids did exist back then and were used by some agents. Pictures of Jerry Campbell’s 12-round .38/.357 belt slide and matching Myers holster for his Registered Magnum can be found via an online search. But to get through the PPC he would have had to wear three of them and it is doubtful he could have reached them all with his strong hand. It was more practical for that Course to put them in the front dominant hand pocket.

Quantico was notoriously conservative about revolver doctrine right up until the switch to autos, and the mark of master pistolcraft to those guys was “shooting your Possible” and getting your name up on the Possible Club board at Quantico. They would have viewed running the course with a bunch of speedloaders as a cheap shortcut that betrayed the achievement of their forerunners, and themselves, who did it the hard way (hence the restrictive limitation).

In my view, Ayoob’s Stressfire revolver stuff was an outstanding contribution to the art, which unfortunately arrived just before the world shifted over to autos, and so it is frequently overlooked. He shifts hands. I think I can do a no-look Stressfire reload with bubbarized Comp IIIs as fast as most speedloading non-shifters, but it requires the muzzle be straight up and then straight down. This can get you DQ’d these days in IDPA. Since I enjoy competing with speedloaders in a 4” .38 in IDPA, I have had to modify my technique to keep the muzzle obviously down range. Which slows things way down, and has me now working on the non-shift-hands reload to try and keep up with the moonclippers.

As a practical matter, whatever loaders I may or may not have on my person from day to day, there is a speed strip of .38 rounds in the watch pocket of the jeans I routinely wear. They are well concealed, secure, and yet require dexterous manipulation. Since these pockets are on the right side of all the jeans I have encountered, having the default ability to load with the right hand remains useful.

User Tag List