Thread: Dan’s Personal Development...RFI

Dan’s Personal Development...RFI

After having a very unpredictable work schedule with long hours and no predictability, I should be transitioning in the near future (less than one month) into a more settled routine (12hr shifts daily) and am looking to use this time to pursue a course of study...of something...to help me in the future to not be tied to my current field to earn a living.

My interests are largely outdoors - hiking, exploring, forestry, agriculture, sailing, etc. I dislike working in crowded environments (hence why I enjoy my current profession). While I’ve wasted a lot of time on Internet forums, I’m not a ‘computer’ guy by any stretch of the imagination.

My partner is in the medical field, and, we will probably end up in Europe (hence the necessity to study German), so I’m kinda like a fish out of water in trying to figure out the best way to plan/prepare over the next two years or so.

If you have a laptop, and live in a fiberglass box for over 300 days a year with a consistent schedule, how, and what, do you study to further your life?

My educational background (or lack thereof) plays a role in this as well - I was homeschooled(ish) and got my GED (with very good marks) in order to enlist, and got an AFQT score of 90 when I took the ASVAB, but didn’t end up attending basic. All that to say, I’m smart, but don’t have a formal educational background, and can’t deal with complex mathematics (for me, that would be anything remotely considered to be algebra and above).

The realities of my situation are as follows:

Must work my current job, and study online (for the present)

Don’t care necessarily about a degree, but want to use my time wisely and learn something that will allow me better options in the near future.

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions are welcome.

Why not check out job opportunities in forestry? When I was in Germany, I was amazed at the woodlands I was tramping through. It that seems to be a viable option, I'm sure you could do some online work along that path.

Site Supporter
    Learn a useful language, push yourself physically, and try to grow in wisdom.

Site Supporter
    Take a look at Kahn Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/
    --Jason--

User Tag List