Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: California may be readying to tax all remaining businesses to death

California may be readying to tax all remaining businesses to death

Gee, I wonder how this will work out.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...sition-15-poll

SACRAMENTO — Nearly half of California voters in a new statewide poll support Proposition 15, a November ballot measure that would loosen tax limits on commercial and industrial properties and spend the resulting revenues on local governments and schools.
    Though supporters dominate the survey released Wednesday by UC Berkeley’s Institute of Governmental Studies, only a plurality of likely voters, 49%, said they would cast a ballot for Proposition 15 while 34% said they will oppose it and 17% remain undecided.

Even so, the snapshot of the current political landscape offers more encouragement for liberal activists — who say the proposal is a sensible overhaul of 1978’s landmark Proposition 13 — than the measure’s business sector opponents, who predict it would strike a damaging blow to California’s struggling economy.

“I think the chances for passage are fairly decent,” said Mark DiCamillo, the poll’s director.

Political analysts have long believed that most California ballot measures with support hovering near the 50% threshold in polls close to an election will come up short. Even when applying the poll’s margin of error — plus or minus two percentage points — it’s possible that support for Proposition 15 could be slightly stronger, but even then only at a razor-thin majority of the voters surveyed.

But DiCamillo said the conventional wisdom may not apply in an election where so many high-profile issues are struggling to get the attention of an electorate consumed less with state politics than the race for president and the dangers of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“In this new world, or at least this particular cycle where so many voters aren’t paying attention, I think any lead is significant,” DiCamillo said.

Supporters of Proposition 15 noted another public poll, released last week, found a similar level of support.

“Throughout this campaign, the polling has been consistent: Wide margins of voters support closing corporate tax loopholes to bring investments back into local communities,” said Alex Stack, a spokesman for the Yes on 15 campaign.

Almost 6,000 likely voters took part in the online survey over a six-day period beginning on Sept. 9, weighing in after reading Proposition 15’s official ballot title and summary. California voters will begin receiving ballots in the mail in less than two weeks.

Since 1978, all property taxes in California have been levied under the system adopted by voters with Proposition 13. The value of a property is based on its most recent purchase price, even if it last changed hands decades earlier and similar properties nearby sold more recently and are subject to higher taxes. Proposition 13 limits the tax rate to 1% of the assessed value amount and that estimate can increase by no more than 2% a year.

The new ballot measure would keep all existing rules in place for residential properties. But commercial and industrial properties would quickly be reassessed, with updated values that better reflect current real estate market conditions — resulting in more taxes paid by their owners. Exemptions would be made for business properties worth less than $3 million and land used for agriculture.

Opponents contend the measure’s impact will be far greater than advertised and insist that many of Proposition 15’s supporters are also on record as hoping to someday revisit current property tax limitations for homeowners.

“This survey underscores the simple point — as voters begin to realize that Prop. 15 is the largest property tax increase in state history, is the first step to undoing Prop. 13 in its entirety, and will have a devastating impact on small businesses and farmers, they are overwhelmingly rejecting it,” said Michael Bustamante, a spokesman for the No on 15 campaign.

Large corporations, likely to see substantially higher property tax payments, are perhaps the most obvious target of Proposition 15.

Overall, the independent Legislative Analyst’s Office projects the change would generate as much as $11.5 billion in new tax revenue a year once fully implemented. Sixty percent of the new funds would go to local governments, 40% to K-12 schools and community colle
    #RESIST

One tax away from utopia, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Half of me wants this state to crash and burn. Unfortunately it will become a blight on the rest of the country as the people who voted for these laws will join those who didn’t in fleeing this shit hole only to repeat the cycle somewhere else.

Prop 13 was a misguided idea intended to protect fixed-income retirees from being taxed out of their homes during the 70's high inflation. It wound up being used so legacy families pay very little in property taxes just because their parents or grandparents lived here while the same house owned by someone else might have 10x the tax rate. I own a modest $300k rental I purchased from my parents who purchased it in the 70s (prop 13 exempted familial transfers from reassessment). I pay about $400/year in property tax on it ($100 of it school bonds so only $300 based on the assessment). Someone outside my immediate family buying that house today would pay $3,000/year in taxes.

Prop 15 keeps prop 13 in place for the (relative) blue bloods as long as they don't have >$3million in property. (and if you do own >$3mil in multiple properties you can get around it by putting them into different family trusts so no one trust owns more than $3mil). The TV ads talk about "closing a corporate loophole" but this "loophole" exists for everyone & they actually want to close it just for corporations and the wealthy. More class warfare from the Democrats - and right when corporate/commercial properties are close to all-time high vacancies...

Funny thing is that one of the biggest opposition voices to prop 15 is the NAACP (they don't want to pay market rate taxes on property they purchased in the 60s and 70s).
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 10-10-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Prop 13 was a misguided idea intended to protect fixed-income retirees from being taxed out of their homes during the high inflation lf the 1970s. It wound up being used so legacy families pay very little in property taxes just because their parents or grandparents lived here while the same house owned by someone else might have 10x the tax rate. I own a modest $300k rental I purchased from my parents who purchased it in the 70s (prop 13 exempted familial transfers from reassessment). I pay about $400/year in property tax on it ($100 of it school bonds so only $300 based on the assessment). Someone outside my immediate family buying that house today would pay $3,000/year in taxes.
    You are welcome to pay more if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    You are welcome to pay more if you want.
    Obviously I'm not going to volunteer to pay any more taxes for just myself, but the current system is clearly unfair and I'd like it to be more equitable even though that would mean I also pay more in taxes. Prop 15 is even less fair, but it appeals to ignorant masses so it'll probably pass.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 10-10-2020 at 04:51 PM.

...Said California is the place you oughta be
    So they loaded up the truck
    and they moved to Beverly
    (Hills that is, swimming pools, movie stars)

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Obviously I'm not going to volunteer to pay any more taxes for just myself, but the current system is clearly unfair and I'd like it to be more equitable even though that would mean I also pay more in taxes. Prop 15 is even less fair, but it appeals to ignorant masses so it'll probably pass.
    What is fair when the State takes my money and gives it out to illegals and TROGs? At least the people under Prop13 had been productive members of the society and had the state not squandered their taxes this wouldn’t be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    What is fair when the State takes my money and gives it out to illegals and TROGs? At least the people under Prop13 had been productive members of the society and had the state not squandered their taxes this wouldn’t be an issue.
    In my view if everyone is paying taxes equitably, runaway spending is less likely to occur. But half the population pays very little in taxes and when they get a chance to make the other half pay more to try and redistribute wealth to themselves, they generally go for it...

User Tag List