Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New 5906 batch released by S&W

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Maybe they did off-contract maintenance/replacement to woo organizations to the M&P rather than saying FU and having them finally approve plastic...from Glock or Sig? Isn't that the story behind the Six-series Rugers? They lost money on the guns, but they wanted both a foot in the door and Not Smith in the holsters.

Did S&W ever build a decock-only TSW-badged gun? I thought the only decock only pistols they made were FBI-mandated Sig-style abominations, all of which were way before the railed TSWs were released. I don't think I've ever seen a slide-mounted decock only setup on anything, be it 1st, 2nd or 3rd gen... but it is S&W which means never say never.
    Yep the 4006TSW CHP guns are decock only. I’ve also seen 4566, 4563, 5906 TSW’s over the years but when I’d see them I didn’t have money. I wish I would’ve picked up a CHP gun when they were everywhere for $399. But I don’t really need another 40. But I may still pick one up.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Yeah, they did. But they were slide-mounted decockers that simply sprung back up—a la Beretta G. I think most of the late 3rd gen slides were machined for this feature... even if it didn’t come stock.

Back in the early 90s, they made frame-mounted decocker models (A la, Sig), among which were the FBI 1076s.
    Do you remember when they started doing that?

Does a modern, 3rd-gen, 92G-analogue for my old 2nd-gen 645 exist? Looks like I'm going down the gunbroker rabbit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    Yep the 4006TSW CHP guns are decock only. I’ve also seen 4566, 4563, 5906 TSW’s over the years but when I’d see them I didn’t have money. I wish I would’ve picked up a CHP gun when they were everywhere for $399. But I don’t really need another 40. But I may still pick one up.
    Well damn.

Here's an appropriate 90s-era response:

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Do you remember when they started doing that?

Do a modern, 3rd-gen, 92G-analogue for my old 2nd-gen 645 may exist? Looks like I'm going down the gunbroker rabbit hole.
    I'm not sure what year, exactly--probably after 2000. Not sure if this is a hard and fast rule... but I think if you find a TSW that has black levers, it's more likely to be a decock only? I had a "first-gen" (but still a 3rd gen) 3913TSW, without black levers... not a decock only.

As far as your 645 (I have one too)... If you wanted to make it decock only, I think it could be done, but you'd have to have the slide machined to accommodate that feature. You'd also have to buy slide levers that are decock only.

I remember I bought a later 4566 (non-TSW) from a guy on the Smith forum. It wasn't decock only, but it was late enough to have the larger hole (or whatever it is) needed for the decock-only lever. He also sold me the actual decock-only lever, separately... which I could have put in, but never did.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    IIRC Tactical Smith and Wesson. They had a rail.

Our K9s had them as soon as they were released and there was an applicable holster, so they could mount a light under the gun and have a hand free for the dog leash. When we looked at the price to upgrade all our 5906 and 4006 to 4006 TSW models so we could all have lights, the answer that came out was "let's buy Glock 22s."
    It was a proprietary rail, IIRC.

Somebody be sure to let me know when the NOS S&W 6946s hit the market...

Quote Originally Posted by NIU2009 View Post
    It was a proprietary rail, IIRC.
    It was. I forget who made the holster, but at one time there was exactly one option.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List