Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 5906 batch released by S&W

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    $700 for a brand new 5906 is reasonable but I'm just not THAT interested. If it were a decock only TSW I'd totally be down.

As it is I got my eye on a 5946 TSW but it has 10 days to go.
    Yep a decock only TSW, and I’d be selling stuff to fund one or two of them.
    I love 3rd Gens, but I’d rather have a TSW than a regular one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    Yep a decock only TSW, and I’d be selling stuff to fund one or two of them.
    I love 3rd Gens, but I’d rather have a TSW than a regular one.
    Yeah. I'm not much into .40 but when I first learned about the CHP version of the 4006 TSW I knew I HAD to get one. I also had a regular 4006 TSW but the hammer spur would dig into my hand so I sold it when I got my CHP one.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    That’s interesting on the unmarked slide. I guess I just assumed they’d dulled the markings digitally for... confidentiality or something. But the serials are still there. So... I’m thinking it legit doesn’t have a roll mark?

Honestly, it looks more badass that way. If these had the big adjustable sights (because Mulder and Scully wouldn’t have it any other way) I’d be hard pressed resist (not that I’m not hard pressed to resist already).
    Last edited by MattyD380; 10-10-2020 at 08:06 PM.

My understanding is that the tooling was idled for the 3rd Gen Smiths some time ago, but they would roll it out every blue moon to maintain a stock of replacement guns for agencies that were still running the 3rd gens.

Pure conjecture on my part:

I'm wondering if 1) the stuff they needed to apply the appropriate markings wasn't maintained or 2) they decided not to do it for cost savings.

They can't have been making money on those small, odd lots of guns they were making. So they must have been doing it just to maintain goodwill with the agencies involved in the hopes of selling them M&Ps when they finally gave up on the 3rd Gens.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Before I state this let me say, I probably misunderstood and I am likely wrong. My goal is not to falsely get anyone's hopes up.

But has anyone else heard that Apex tactical may make parts for the 3rd gen at some point? I read this on another forum a while back. It was one post or two posts and was not widely discussed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    My understanding is that the tooling was idled for the 3rd Gen Smiths some time ago, but they would roll it out every blue moon to maintain a stock of replacement guns for agencies that were still running the 3rd gens.

Pure conjecture on my part:

I'm wondering if 1) the stuff they needed to apply the appropriate markings wasn't maintained or 2) they decided not to do it for cost savings.

They can't have been making money on those small, odd lots of guns they were making. So they must have been doing it just to maintain goodwill with the agencies involved in the hopes of selling them M&Ps when they finally gave up on the 3rd Gens.
    Yeah. It's a good guess. Be interesting to know if these were made in Springfield or Houlton.

They made 3rd gens (3914DAOs, 3953TSWs and 5946s) in Houlton all the way up until 2013 or 2014. The 3914DAOs were for NYPD off-duty guns, I think. You could find them on GB NIB, a few years ago.

Houlton is where they make 1911s, now. Maybe they use some of the same machinery for 3rd gens (knowing virtually nothing about manufacturing).

The GB gun linked in the OP also has a "U" mark above the trigger guard on the right side of the frame. It is my understanding that S&W uses the "U" to indicate a gun that has been used in some way but never previously transferred at retail (i.e. a demo gun or salesman's sample, or T&E gun).

It’s interesting how desirable these are now that they’re no longer made. Most LE friends I knew that had them back in the day would have much preferred a Beretta or Sig.

Our K9s had them as soon as they were released and there was an applicable holster...
    Did these fit their paws better? sorry, couldn’t resist

When we looked at the price to upgrade all our 5906 and 4006 to 4006 TSW models so we could all have lights, the answer that came out was "let's buy Glock 22s."
    Did you experience the G22 mounted light issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    It’s interesting how desirable these are now that they’re no longer made. Most LE friends I knew that had them back in the day would have much preferred a Beretta or Sig.

Did these fit their paws better? sorry, couldn’t resist

Did you experience the G22 mounted light issues?
    I legit laughed out loud at that...

The gun cops hate the most are the ones their admins tell them they have to carry. The Beretta and Sigs had more cachet at the time, but I don't think any sound argument could be made that they were "better." Our S&Ws ran like tops, and were pretty durable too. I think the biggest criticism you could make about the 5906/4006 series guns was they had all steel frames, and were thus heavier than the alloy framed Sig and Beretta offerings.

Also, current guns are perfectly workable, but they are all plastic framed, minimal part count, minimal machining designs. A 5906 has a bunch of appeal if you like Nice Things, compared to that.

I dunno about the G22/mounted light issues. That decision was made during my last week on the job. We did our decision making a little differently than many agencies. When there was a major equipment change, they'd get a committee together composed of an LT, a Sgt, a patrol guy, and any other parties with a vested interest or relevant expertise. In this case I was the patrol guy, and we had one of our firearms instructors on the team.

Our charge was to do a comprehensive review of all our firearms and make a recommendation to the chief. For handguns we had 5906s, 4006s, 6906s for detectives, and a smattering of 3906 and 3913s for folks with hands that didn't fit bigger guns. For long guns we had both lethal and less-lethal 870s with both rifle and bead sights, as well as fixed stock MP5s with semi-auto only trigger packs installed.

I think by that point the switch to a Glock platform was a given. The thing I was most passionate about was either moving to a different less-lethal platform or ditching lethal shotguns, because I thought it was a fuck up waiting to happen. A neighboring jurisdiction proved me right a few years later.

One of the last things I did before hanging up my gear was formalize the recommendation that we switch to the Glock .40 platform of guns with WMLs, ditch the MP5s in favor of a 16" AR platform, and convert all the 870s to less-lethal guns with a formal policy that no lethal shotgun ammo be carried in inventory. I had wanted to keep our 14" 870s along with the new rifles, and switch to a 37mm less-lethal platform, but cost wise it just wasn't going to happen.

They made the switch after I left, so that was a long-winded way of saying "I dunno."
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Hit two gun stores today on a day off. One 3rd gen under the glass - an older 3904 with the clunky-looking adjustable rear with the huge protective ears and hooked trigger guard. A small amount of visible external wear.

Should be a nice piece, but I don’t need it. A 5906 or 4506 might have gotten my credit card moving.

User Tag List