Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best irons for something like steel challenge?

Best irons for something like steel challenge?

Looking to see what people have liked for rapid close range (for a rifle) targeting. I’d be using this for steel challenge rather than precision or distance so lots of vision and more open probably a bonus.

Can anyone help with suggestions? I’m not very long gun savvy.

what's the gun you're using?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I recently built a 12.5" AR15 just for the sole purpose of running irons only and keeping myself proficient in the use of them. I settled on Scalarworks Peak iron sights (fixed) and they did not disapoint. I was shocked at just how fast they are at target acquistion, I bang steel with them from 3-75 yards for the most part and on freshly painted steel the groups are pretty tight for moving and shooting. I have an 8" round thats about 110 yards out along a road and using a tree for support I can consistantly hit it. I am super impressed with them! https://scalarworks.com/iron-sights/

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    what's the gun you're using?
    Dunno, probably one of the MPX. Leaning towards the 8” one.

I have a 16” handguard too but all my barrels are cut down. I could make up the length with extensions but I think lighter is probably better for something like this where transitions are important but recoil control is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I recently built a 12.5" AR15 just for the sole purpose of running irons only and keeping myself proficient in the use of them. I settled on Scalarworks Peak iron sights (fixed) and they did not disapoint. I was shocked at just how fast they are at target acquistion, I bang steel with them from 3-75 yards for the most part and on freshly painted steel the groups are pretty tight for moving and shooting. I have an 8" round thats about 110 yards out along a road and using a tree for support I can consistantly hit it. I am super impressed with them! https://scalarworks.com/iron-sights/
    Those look amazing!

Site Supporter
    This might be useless for long arms but on my Buckmark that I used for steel, I have a green fiber optic which is very easy to see outdoors. Whether that works on a long arm, I dunno.

Name:  F466B636-992C-46DE-BD0A-A0D6514E9330.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  21.9 KB

Name:  AB2A4DBA-0A42-4235-B9F8-AB5122647A1A.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  29.0 KB

Fiber optic too small so made a bigger spot.

Name:  449AEBEB-58D7-4FEC-9132-266AD3EDBC8B.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  30.6 KB

Hmm.

So I’m trying to use the fiber dot as a pseudo red dot visual.

Here’s how it looks in the sun.

Name:  22F273F2-6C74-43D2-B6B4-8901CC216E06.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  48.5 KB

It’ll take some practice, but I think I like it?

I’m not set on how rearward I want to set the rear irons.

I have them pretty far forward now to restrict the ghost ring for accuracy.

But it’s vision restricted enough that I have to use vision like an occluded optic system.

Name:  DD3A4D2C-DE6D-4818-B4E7-F9142549A5A6.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  101.9 KB

After the range session I decided to drill the front hole more so I could get more fiber width for light pick up.

Drill bit was so small it didn’t fit my drill so I put duct tape around to build it up.

Worked well.

User Tag List