Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: At an Impasse and could use advice

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I had found this to be the case with Winchester White Box 115gr, but this is the first time I've had any problems using 124gr NATO. I figured the QC would be better with the NATO ammo assuming it really is made to NATO specs. I was using that because from my understanding P30s like hotter ammo.
    From what I experienced and read, Winchester ammo QC has been deteriorating over years.
    I would, in this case from what's known, blame it on the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    From what I experienced and read, Winchester ammo QC has been deteriorating over years.
    I would, in this case from what's known, blame it on the ammo.
    My primary preferred practice ammunition for vetting a new pistol or even practice with a proven pistol, is Speer Lawman 124gr TMJ (and AE 124gr after that). Since that is now going for $30/box online with limits on purchasing (and the gun shop I work at can't even get it unless our distributor reps take pity on us even in the best of times), I'm stuck with the 1200-ish rounds of 9mm I have on hand. 600 rounds of it is Aguila 115gr, 100rds is Aguila 124gr, 200 rounds is American Eagle 124gr, 150 rounds is Blazer Brass 124gr, and then about 150-ish rounds of random assortments.

This is why I am hesitant to continue bothering to use my ammo on the P30, as even if I did use up the rest of my 9mm, some of it is rather low quality and it would be difficult to tell whether any malfunctions would be from the ammo or from the pistol.

Site Supporter
    My primary preferred practice ammunition for vetting a new pistol or even practice with a proven pistol, is Speer Lawman 124gr TMJ (and AE 124gr after that). Since that is now going for $30/box online with limits on purchasing (and the gun shop I work at can't even get it unless our distributor reps take pity on us even in the best of times), I'm stuck with the 1200-ish rounds of 9mm I have on hand. 600 rounds of it is Aguila 115gr, 100rds is Aguila 124gr, 200 rounds is American Eagle 124gr, 150 rounds is Blazer Brass 124gr, and then about 150-ish rounds of random assortments.

This is why I am hesitant to continue bothering to use my ammo on the P30, as even if I did use up the rest of my 9mm, some of it is rather low quality and it would be difficult to tell whether any malfunctions would be from the ammo or from the pistol.
    Well, if you’re still considering using the P30, at a minimum you’ll want to vet those new 17 rd mags. If you choose to do that, I’d use at least 100-200 rounds of what you consider the best quality stuff you’ve got. To really rule out at least bad case sizing (which could effect extraction) you could “plunk test” those rounds in the barrel (disassembled of course) the night before.

I suggest that the year 2020 is a poor time to vet a new platform. You have pistols that work, why not just roll them until the ammo drought is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I suggest that the year 2020 is a poor time to vet a new platform. You have pistols that work, why not just roll them until the ammo drought is over.
    I suppose that's what I'll have to do. I was hoping to have a vetted DA/SA 9mm as a new carry gun soon because it's what I'm used to with the HK45C, but at this point it probably makes more sense for me to just either continue to carry the 45C or switch to the Glock 19, both of which have been well-proven.

I suppose that's what I'll have to do. I was hoping to have a vetted DA/SA 9mm as a new carry gun soon because it's what I'm used to with the HK45C, but at this point it probably makes more sense for me to just either continue to carry the 45C or switch to the Glock 19, both of which have been well-proven.
    Is .45 ACP ammo so rare that continuing to carry your HK45C is problematic? I realize that some of the prominent internet sources seem to be perpetually out-of-stock, but some local places, that ration/limit the amount sold to any one person on any one business day, often manage to keep some few of just about everything on the shelves.

There is nothing wrong with a G19, if it is performing “acceptably.” If the worry is a lack of “good hits,” well, dress around the HK. Is it substantially larger than a typical duty pistol? I have dressed-around full-sized SIG P220 and 1911 pistols, and fatter-butt P229 pistols, for years at a time.

Edited to add: Try experimenting with such things as trigger finger position, and variations in support hand position, with the G19. Slight variations in such things can make a difference in accuracy, for some folks, with the G19. (I appreciate the better stability and consistency, with longer-gripped Glocks.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Is .45 ACP ammo so rare that continuing to carry your HK45C is problematic? I realize that some of the prominent internet sources seem to be perpetually out-of-stock, but some local places, that ration/limit the amount sold to any one person on any one business day, often manage to keep some few of just about everything on the shelves.

There is nothing wrong with a G19, if it is performing “acceptably.” If the worry is a lack of “good hits,” well, dress around the HK. Is it substantially larger than a typical duty pistol? I have dressed-around full-sized SIG P220 and 1911 pistols, and fatter-butt P229 pistols, for years at a time.

Edited to add: Try experimenting with such things as trigger finger position, and variations in support hand position, with the G19. Slight variations in such things can make a difference in accuracy, for some folks, with the G19. (I appreciate the better stability and consistency, with longer-gripped Glocks.)
    I have more .45 than 9mm ammo, and I have shot the HK45C more than any other pistol. My reason for switching is not because of .45 ammo price/availability. If anything .45 is the same price or cheaper than 9mm from what I’m seeing. I’m considering switching to a 9mm for higher capacity, lower recoil, potentially faster and more accurate follow up shots, and cheaper ammo in normal times. It is a switch I’ve been contemplating for some time after studying DocGKR’s knowledge and observations on the subject. It sounds like .45 doesn’t give an advantage over 9mm using good ammo.

I was unable to go to the range again yesterday since thunderstorms were blowing through, but I plan to explore my abilities with the Glock 19 more. Perhaps the practical move would be to dedicate my efforts towards mastering the 19, sell the P30, and use the money for a backup/trainer G19.

Site Supporter
    I have more .45 than 9mm ammo, and I have shot the HK45C more than any other pistol. My reason for switching is not because of .45 ammo price/availability. If anything .45 is the same price or cheaper than 9mm from what I’m seeing. I’m considering switching to a 9mm for higher capacity, lower recoil, potentially faster and more accurate follow up shots, and cheaper ammo in normal times. It is a switch I’ve been contemplating for some time after studying DocGKR’s knowledge and observations on the subject. It sounds like .45 doesn’t give an advantage over 9mm using good ammo.

I was unable to go to the range again yesterday since thunderstorms were blowing through, but I plan to explore my abilities with the Glock 19 more. Perhaps the practical move would be to dedicate my efforts towards mastering the 19, sell the P30, and use the money for a backup/trainer G19.
    Since the odds of getting more 9mm practice ammo for either of your pistols at a reasonable price in the near-term are poor, it might be better to just stick with the .45 for carry, hold onto both 9mms, and wait to make up your mind until practice ammo prices come back to reality.

But two G19s is a good plan, if you decide that you are good with the operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Since the odds of getting more 9mm practice ammo for either of your pistols at a reasonable price in the near-term are poor, it might be better to just stick with the .45 for carry, hold onto both 9mms, and wait to make up your mind until practice ammo prices come back to reality.
    I've reached this point, even shooting issued ammunition. We're down to about 200 rounds for our three man office of 9mm FMJ, and maybe 1,000 rounds of very hard to replace JHP. On the other hand, I've got access to probably 3,000 rounds of .45 - because I'm the only person who shoots one (or three), and do most of my training with 9mm for ease of joint pain. Might be switching to shooting the 1911 full time at this point until the ammo situation unfucks itself (if that ever happens).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I've reached this point, even shooting issued ammunition. We're down to about 200 rounds for our three man office of 9mm FMJ, and maybe 1,000 rounds of very hard to replace JHP. On the other hand, I've got access to probably 3,000 rounds of .45 - because I'm the only person who shoots one (or three), and do most of my training with 9mm for ease of joint pain. Might be switching to shooting the 1911 full time at this point until the ammo situation unfucks itself (if that ever happens).
    I’m only shooting reloads and .22. I was about to buy a couple of cases of 9mm when Covid drove prices up. Got an adequate amount of JHP and about a case and a half of FMJ, but hesitate to shoot any b/c replacing it isn’t going to be as easy or inexpensive as I’d like.

User Tag List