Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: At an Impasse and could use advice

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Any time you have a failure to extract or eject, preserve the case and inspect it later under good lighting. There are often witness marks on it that will allow you to figure out what went wrong. It's entirely possible the case was badly mismachined, but you don't know that if you don't keep it and inspect it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Looks like the slide didn’t come back hard enough (or far enough?) to extract and eject the case.
    Could be a weak powder charge, or extra drag on the underside of the slide with the 10-rd mag topped up.

I don’t have experience with 10-rd HK mags. If they’re really stiff, maybe that contributed.

In general, I trust the reliability of HK products. I’ve got close to 20,000 rounds through 4 different USP Compacts, in both .40 and 9mm, with exactly one malfunction (with purple-cased Winchester training .40 cal ammo). I know that doesn’t translate directly to the P30, but maybe it’s a helpful data point.

My thoughts - if the P30 is attractive from the familiarity and performance standpoint, put the 10-rounders aside for now and keep training with it. One malfunction is an oddity. Two is a pattern. Until you have a pattern, go with the gun you think you can be most effective with.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Looks like the slide didn’t come back hard enough (or far enough?) to extract and eject the case.
    Could be a weak powder charge, or extra drag on the underside of the slide with the 10-rd mag topped up.

I don’t have experience with 10-rd HK mags. If they’re really stiff, maybe that contributed.

In general, I trust the reliability of HK products. I’ve got close to 20,000 rounds through 4 different USP Compacts, in both .40 and 9mm, with exactly one malfunction (with purple-cased Winchester training .40 cal ammo). I know that doesn’t translate directly to the P30, but maybe it’s a helpful data point.

My thoughts - if the P30 is attractive from the familiarity and performance standpoint, put the 10-rounders aside for now and keep training with it. One malfunction is an oddity. Two is a pattern. Until you have a pattern, go with the gun you think you can be most effective with.
    The 10 round mags were indeed quite stiff. In hindsight, I wish that I hadn't loaded them up fully, chambered the +1, and then topped off the mag to rule that possibility out.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Any time you have a failure to extract or eject, preserve the case and inspect it later under good lighting. There are often witness marks on it that will allow you to figure out what went wrong. It's entirely possible the case was badly mismachined, but you don't know that if you don't keep it and inspect it.
    Unfortunately I did not hold onto the casing, though I did inspect it at the time and couldn't see anything particularly wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    The 10 round mags were indeed quite stiff. In hindsight, I wish that I hadn't loaded them up fully, chambered the +1, and then topped off the mag to rule that possibility out.
    When your 17s come in the mail try this:
    1. Load a round into the chamber
    2. Fully load the 10rd mag, rack it. Pay attention to how hard it is to rack.
    3. Do the same with the 17rd mag.

If the 10rd requires a lot more force than the 17rd, it is likely you found your culprit. If thats the case, I would use the 17rds for carry and 10rds for range only, which I am guessing is what you would be doing anyway.

I have not seen the same QC issues with Win NATO as I have Win WWB, but they surely could have a bad round and it wouldnt surprise me. ESPECIALLY if it was made in 2020. With the current insane demand for ammo, I can only imagine EVERY manufacturer is pushing their equipment and employees to the edge to produce every case they can.

I'm wary enough ot Winchester ammunition to totally avoid their generic/ValuPack ammunition. Federal/American Eagle/Sellier & Bellot are far better choices in my expereince.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    When your 17s come in the mail try this:
    1. Load a round into the chamber
    2. Fully load the 10rd mag, rack it. Pay attention to how hard it is to rack.
    3. Do the same with the 17rd mag.

If the 10rd requires a lot more force than the 17rd, it is likely you found your culprit. If thats the case, I would use the 17rds for carry and 10rds for range only, which I am guessing is what you would be doing anyway.

I have not seen the same QC issues with Win NATO as I have Win WWB, but they surely could have a bad round and it wouldnt surprise me. ESPECIALLY if it was made in 2020. With the current insane demand for ammo, I can only imagine EVERY manufacturer is pushing their equipment and employees to the edge to produce every case they can.
    The 17rd mags arrived the other day, and when I get home in about 20 minutes I am going to try this.

Regarding the ammo, there was something I thought was odd: the powder from all of it left quite a bit of unburnt powder deposited into the action of the gun. Like, more than I remember seeing from this ammo before. Kind of like what I used to see with Winchester White Box 115gr, but even more than that. And yes, this NATO ammo had 2020 headstampings.

I loaded both a 17rd mag and a 10rd mag, and one in the chamber. With both mags fully loaded, I racked the slide to feel how much drag there was on the underside. They felt very similar. Maybe there's a difference, but it's difficult to tell. If anything the 10 rounders were easier to load, but they've also been loaded/unloaded many times whereas the 17 round mags are brand new.

Have you cleaned and lubed the P30?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Have you cleaned and lubed the P30?
    Yes, I did that the night before I shot it.

User Tag List