Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alright, I am going to give the pistol dot ONE MORE TRY. What backup sights for Gen 5

Alright, I am going to give the pistol dot ONE MORE TRY. What backup sights for Gen 5

Alright, I am going to give the pistol dot ONE MORE TRY. What backup sights for Gen 5 G19 MOS. I really don't care if it is lower 1/3 or true co-witness. I just want good, reliable night sights (preferably with orange ring up front). I was going to order Ameriglos but I ams seeing some folks complain on Amazon about the rears being loose. This is with an RMR 2

Dawson Precision. And honestly I have found back up sights with an RDS more of a distraction than they are worth. Just buy a good one and keep the batteries fresh.
    Edited to see you are using an RMR. Just slap it on there and try it out.

From what my eyes like, I used to use FO fronts when I shot irons only. It may vary on yours but after briefly using 3 dot night sights on an RDS gun...too much visual clutter. If you do insist on getting tritiums, get a tall orange one from Ameriglo. For the rear sights, get ones that have a set screw. Dawson Precision, 10-8 Performance and Continuous Precision have these. Absolute cowitness sights are horrible on something like an RMR, the optic window is small as it is and you're going to crowd it even more by getting taller front sights.

I have a nice set of trooper style Ameriglos on there now. Maybe I’ll wait. I just tried to install it and it looks like the screws are too long. I may be missing something. Allright, it appears I have to buy some special screws now.
    Last edited by Greg Bell; 10-08-2020 at 11:39 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Alright, I am going to give the pistol dot ONE MORE TRY. What backup sights for Gen 5 G19 MOS. I really don't care if it is lower 1/3 or true co-witness. I just want good, reliable night sights (preferably with orange ring up front). I was going to order Ameriglos but I ams seeing some folks complain on Amazon about the rears being loose. This is with an RMR 2
    A few thoughts:

- Have you had any professional instruction specific to the red dot ? True Autodidacts are rare.

- If you are using an optic equipped pistol - use the dot. Like on a carbine the optic is your primary sighting system and the BUIS are for emergency / optic failure purposes only.

- along those lines true co-witness BUIS are. No go, especially on an optic with a small window and tint like an RMR. People block 1/2 the window with BUIS then complains about issues finding or tracking the dot. Lower 1/3 or even lower 1/4 will allow you to use the optic more effectively.

- An HD type orange front sight with a red dot is going to be an unnecessary distraction. Lime yellow/green if you must but playing black or white outline sights would be better.. I second the earlier comment about 3 dot night sights being too much visual clutter with the dot.

Dawson .330 front and .335 rear will give you a 1/4 Co witness with an RMR on an MOS cut.

Tritium sights are not really necessary with an RDS in my humble opinion. The light levels where tritium works well are already limited and are made irrelevant by the dot. It's hard to imagine a scenario where the dot has failed but there's still enough light to PID the target but dim enough to see the tritium. And if you add in a WML you still won't see the tritium.
    The best thing night sights do is easily allow you to find a pistol in total darkness, and that can be a double edged sword.

I have a nice set of trooper style Ameriglos on there now. Maybe I’ll wait. I just tried to install it and it looks like the screws are too long. I may be missing something. Allright, it appears I have to buy some special screws now.
    Yes and you will need the trijicon sealing plate as well. It comes in a kit like this https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/ac32064 They can be had for less on other sites.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    A few thoughts:

- Have you had any professional instruction specific to the red dot ? True Autodidacts are rare.

- If you are using an optic equipped pistol - use the dot. Like on a carbine the optic is your primary sighting system and the BUIS are for emergency / optic failure purposes only.

- along those lines true co-witness BUIS are. No go, especially on an optic with a small window and tint like an RMR. People block 1/2 the window with BUIS then complains about issues finding or tracking the dot. Lower 1/3 or even lower 1/4 will allow you to use the optic more effectively.

- An HD type orange front sight with a red dot is going to be an unnecessary distraction. Lime yellow/green if you must but playing black or white outline sights would be better.. I second the earlier comment about 3 dot night sights being too much visual clutter with the dot.

Dawson .330 front and .335 rear will give you a 1/4 Co witness with an RMR on an MOS cut.
    This mirrors my experience. I was the guy the chief asked to come up with a POI for such guns two+ years ago. My opinions have evolved since actually living and working with one for the last 3-4 years. Had I to do over again a G19 with ATOM mount would be my choice for a base gun, rather than a G17MOS. 1/4 cowitness instead of suppressor height. I still like the RMR, despite some of its supposed problems, but am saving my pennies for new BUIS and Acro. Resale of guns and gear that is less than satisfactory should not be too hard.

Since COVID-19 has caused my POST Firearms Instructor cert to evaporate it will be another year or two at the earliest before the course gets completed. Being a student during that time is high on my list with quality training, and I know of at least one local agency comperable in size to mine that is moving dot pistols ftom SWAT issue to general issue.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    This mirrors my experience. I was the guy the chief asked to come up with a POI for such guns two+ years ago. My opinions have evolved since actually living and working with one for the last 3-4 years. Had I to do over again a G19 with ATOM mount would be my choice for a base gun, rather than a G17MOS. 1/4 cowitness instead of suppressor height. I still like the RMR, despite some of its supposed problems, but am saving my pennies for new BUIS and Acro. Resale of guns and gear that is less than satisfactory should not be too hard.

Since COVID-19 has caused my POST Firearms Instructor cert to evaporate it will be another year or two at the earliest before the course gets completed. Being a student during that time is high on my list with quality training, and I know of at least one local agency comperable in size to mine that is moving dot pistols ftom SWAT issue to general issue.

pat
    The dot isn’t the future, it is the now. In addition to the many agencies allowing personal dots

Utah highway patrol is issuing every trooper a G17 with RMRs and the last academy class for Houston PD was mandated to buy / use G17s with RMRs. (I don’t believe Houston PD issues guns. )

The Ameriglo GL-470 is the appropriate height for a Glock MOS (lower 1/3 co-witness). I also prefer the HD style on iron sighted pistols, but I find all black BUIS is best with RDS.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the sealing plate and screw kit from Trijicon; I'd go right for the Forward Controls Design OPF-G, RMR plate. It is superior to the OEM plate, comes with all the screws you require, and eliminates the need for the sealing plate.

Name:  IMG_7822.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  99.7 KB
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 10-09-2020 at 09:20 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List