Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchased a possible custom 1911, need help I.D’ing

you are missing a grip screw

but the grips and bomar rear will come off now the extended competition front sight is either swaged or soldered on.

I agree to contact Clark before you move fwd with anything.

A pic of the top of the front sight and a field strip image of the inside of the slide under the front sight will help ID how its attached.

I bet its a tack driver.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Post this on 1911addicts.com they can give you all will ever want to know. DON’T mess with it!! It’s pretty amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    I would contact Clark Custom before doing ANY modifications, and try to check the history on that piece. You may well have a 'time capsule' on your hands, and the work of some of these craftsman may never be seen again.

-Rainman
    I was planning on calling them tomorrow, and see if I could get any more information about it, before I did anything. From what I’ve read you’re exactly right, I’m not sure, but I suspect that this pistol was built in the very early 60’s, and that’s about the right time frame for James Clark. I’ve already ordered a set of LOK grips for it as well as new screws, the grip screws in the pistol now, are pretty chewed up, plus, one is missing. The grip screw bushings are all in good shape. Once I get the grips, I’ll run a few rounds through it, and see how it shoots..

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    THANK YOU!!! The info in that article confirmed what I suspected, that this pistol was built in October 1961, by James E. Clark.. Now I’m starting to get excited about shooting it..

Site Supporter
    @ralph - If you want to shoot it, I recommend you find some softball (185-grain JSWC) for it or load some ammo to those specs (185- or 200-grain LSWC at about 750-775 fps). It's unlikely that it's set up for hardball or equivalent loads.

if you close to Victoria, Texas..... I have some ammo for testing

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @ralph - If you want to shoot it, I recommend you find some softball (185-grain JSWC) for it or load some ammo to those specs (185- or 200-grain LSWC at about 750-775 fps). It's unlikely that it's set up for hardball or equivalent loads.
    It just so happens that I have about 2000, 200gr plated RN bullets and a Dillon 650, and a 8lb jug of Bullseye..

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    It just so happens that I have about 2000, 200gr plated RN bullets and a Dillon 650, and a 8lb jug of Bullseye..
    Oh, yeah!

let me ask you guys one other thing. what do you think it's worth? The more I find out about it, the more I'm inclined to keep it as is. About all I'm going to do is change the grips. I'm thinking it may be worth more than I paid for it.

User Tag List