Thread: WTB: SF SOCOM556 MINI2 - recommended dealers?

Site Supporter

WTB: SF SOCOM556 MINI2 - recommended dealers?

So, I’m going to buy a Surefire suppressor- and have decided on the SOCOM556 MINI2 to easily swap between 2 ARs, each with SF3P already installed.
    My LGS sold their last one last week, and were really dicks when I asked to be on a waiting list to be called when they got another one.
    So I’m taking my search for dealers nationwide, P-F style.

Who do you know that has, or might have a SOCOM556 MINI2?

And how would it work to get one from a dealer out of my state (CO)? Specifically- if I get one through on out-of-state dealer, does it need to go through my LGS? And how does the Form 4 paperwork work for that situation?
    I’m new to this NFA stuff, so any guidance would be welcome. I was all set to use the “Silencer kiosk” that my LGS mentioned a few weeks ago, but not sure how it works if I don’t buy it through them.

Any help or advice is welcome.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 10-08-2020 at 05:39 PM.

Silencer shop will let you back order one.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Hammertime
    I bought one through silencer shop and it was painless. Waiting now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Silencer shop will let you back order one.
    Yes, that’s pretty much what my LGS suggested. But if the backorder takes, say 90 days, then it’s a year after that before I have it...
    Just wondering whether anyone here in P-F world knows of someplace that has them on hand now, and what’s involved in the purchase process if it’s from another state.

Capitol Armory has them in stock. They’re good to go. Ordered a few cans from them.

https://www.capitolarmory.com/surefi...uppressor.html

I'm in the middle of this right now for my first can.

1. Go get your trust. TexasGunTrust.com can do CO trusts also. He was super helpful.

2. Set up an online account at silencer shop. Between the website and the app, you can do everything except the fingerprints. It's not easy to navigate, but it's all there.

3. Once that's done, find a kiosk and do your fingerprints. The local shop I used didn't care that I wasn't using them for the transfer, and they didn't know anything about how to use it. It takes a week or so for Silencer Shop to verify your trust. They contacted me because my scanned trust was illegible, so I had to resubmit it. Once they're happy with it, they'll send you a form to Docu Sign.

4. Purchase the suppressor at any point in the "paperwork" process.

The fees add up. If you buy online and transfer to your local shop (SOT), they'll tack on a $100 - 200 fee transfer fee . . . plus the cost of shipping. That may offset any savings that you gain from an online purchase. You'll pay ahead of time for the "stamp." The local shop charged $245 for the $200 stamp: something about a processing fee.

You might check out Mile High Shooting. The seem to be priced on the low end for the can I just purchased, and they're just north of DEN. I see they sell Surefire cans, not sure if they have or can get the specific model you want. I haven't purchased through them, so I can't speak to anything else about them.

Cheers,
    David S
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Thank you to you and @Carnifex!

I’ll look into both of those today.

@David S. - May I ask what made a trust attractive to you? I don’t imagine lending my suppressor to anyone else, nor having anyone in my family use it when I’m not at home. Is there another advantage that I’m missing?

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I'm in the middle of this right now for my first can.

1. Go get your trust. TexasGunTrust.com can do CO trusts also. He was super helpful.

2. Set up an online account at silencer shop. Between the website and the app, you can do everything except the fingerprints. It's not easy to navigate, but it's all there.

3. Once that's done, find a kiosk and do your fingerprints. The local shop I used didn't care that I wasn't using them for the transfer, and they didn't know anything about how to use it. It takes a week or so for Silencer Shop to verify your trust. They contacted me because my scanned trust was illegible, so I had to resubmit it. Once they're happy with it, they'll send you a form to Docu Sign.

4. Purchase the suppressor at any point in the "paperwork" process.

The fees add up. If you buy online and transfer to your local shop (SOT), they'll tack on a $100 - 200 fee transfer fee . . . plus the cost of shipping. That may offset any savings that you gain from an online purchase. You'll pay ahead of time for the "stamp." The local shop charged $245 for the $200 stamp: something about a processing fee.

You might check out Mile High Shooting. The seem to be priced on the low end for the can I just purchased, and they're just north of DEN. I see they sell Surefire cans, not sure if they have or can get the specific model you want. I haven't purchased through them, so I can't speak to anything else about them.

Cheers,
    David S
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 10-09-2020 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    @David S. - May I ask what made a trust attractive to you? I don’t imagine lending my suppressor to anyone else, nor having anyone in my family use it when I’m not at home. Is there another advantage that I’m missing?
    ****I'm new at this, and certainly not a lawyer, so I may be completely full of poop. YMMV, and all that.****

TL;DR, It's not terribly expensive (considering the totality of expenses involved in NFA stuff), it doesn't require much effort on your end, and gives you a ton of flexibility to do stuff you don't anticipate now.

Process: The TexasGunTrust.com trust costs $300 and takes about a half hour phone call with Mr. Willi. Most of the call is him regurgitating and clarifying the FAQ on his website, and a few questions on how you want it set up. They'll email a draft to you the next day. You'll get it notarized, send a scanned copy back to him to verify the notarization was done correctly. He'll email you back that you're GTG and you're done.

Reasons: If you change you're mind in the future, you'll have to pay $200/each to transfer everything on to the trust. If I understand Jim Willi correctly, you can add and remove people fairly easily. So, if you go to a training class or a hunting trip with a buddy, it's fairly easy to make it so (s)he's allowed to possess it, and then remove the person when the trip is over. If you accidentally leave your gun safe unlocked, your family has access to the item, which I think is technically illegal unless that person is designated on the trust.

It also establishes beneficiaries, etc, in the event of your death, loss of mental health, or other problems that may disqualify you from possession. For instance, I just heard that a co-worker's dad lost his flight medical because of brain damage incurred during a motorcycle accident. I can imagine that brain damage could makes it illegal to possess or own an NFA item. The trust establishes who can take it over or hold it for him while he (hopefully) recovers.

There's just lots of weird little ways in which a trust could make life easier.

I understand that using a full service attorney like Jim Willi makes the trust more specific and flexible than a canned trust through an online retailer like Silencer Shop, kinda like using a real CPA, vs TurboTax. That makes it worth the extra cost. I'm sure there are others who do equally good work, but I read several positive reviews here and other forums. I also have a buddy who lives in CO that was happy with the service.

I'm not affiliated with Jim Willi or Texas Gun Trust in any way. I paid full price for my trust.

*** I'm new at this, and certainly not a lawyer, so I may be completely full of poop. YMMV, and all that. ***
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Thank you for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    ****I'm new at this, and certainly not a lawyer, so I may be completely full of poop. YMMV, and all that.****

TL;DR, It's not terribly expensive (considering the totality of expenses involved in NFA stuff), it doesn't require much effort on your end, and gives you a ton of flexibility to do stuff you don't anticipate now.

Process: The TexasGunTrust.com trust costs $300 and takes about a half hour phone call with Mr. Willi. Most of the call is him regurgitating and clarifying the FAQ on his website, and a few questions on how you want it set up. They'll email a draft to you the next day. You'll get it notarized, send a scanned copy back to him to verify the notarization was done correctly. He'll email you back that you're GTG and you're done.

Reasons: If you change you're mind in the future, you'll have to pay $200/each to transfer everything on to the trust. If I understand Jim Willi correctly, you can add and remove people fairly easily. So, if you go to a training class or a hunting trip with a buddy, it's fairly easy to make it so (s)he's allowed to possess it, and then remove the person when the trip is over. If you accidentally leave your gun safe unlocked, your family has access to the item, which I think is technically illegal unless that person is designated on the trust.

It also establishes beneficiaries, etc, in the event of your death, loss of mental health, or other problems that may disqualify you from possession. For instance, I just heard that a co-worker's dad lost his flight medical because of brain damage incurred during a motorcycle accident. I can imagine that brain damage could makes it illegal to possess or own an NFA item. The trust establishes who can take it over or hold it for him while he (hopefully) recovers.

There's just lots of weird little ways in which a trust could make life easier.

I understand that using a full service attorney like Jim Willi makes the trust more specific and flexible than a canned trust through an online retailer like Silencer Shop, kinda like using a real CPA, vs TurboTax. That makes it worth the extra cost. I'm sure there are others who do equally good work, but I read several positive reviews here and other forums. I also have a buddy who lives in CO that was happy with the service.

I'm not affiliated with Jim Willi or Texas Gun Trust in any way. I paid full price for my trust.

*** I'm new at this, and certainly not a lawyer, so I may be completely full of poop. YMMV, and all that. ***

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    Capitol Armory has them in stock. They’re good to go. Ordered a few cans from them.

https://www.capitolarmory.com/surefi...uppressor.html
    Thank you again!

I wound up buying one from Capitol Armory and am having it shipped to my LGS

I really appreciate the suggestion and recommendation.

User Tag List