Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips to Deal with Offset

Hammertime

Tips to Deal with Offset?

I have been messing around more with my AR style carbines. They pretty much all have a red dot with lower 1/3 co witness. My most probable use of one of these rifles is within 10 yards so I have focused on training within this range lately. Honestly, the offset thing just sucks.

I truly think that if I absolutely positively had to make a hit within a 1" circle and the range is within 7 yards I am better off with a pistol. No doubt a lot of this is simply due to a lot more rounds downrange from a pistol, but there is also the fact that having to "guess" how high to hold on targets, not to mention range estimation just seems a lot easier for me using pistol irons, or even a pistol dot due to much less offset. Also even when holding the correct vertical offset I find my windage wandering a bit. There just seems to be no consistent landmark I can use.

Don't even get me started about the PS90 with it's 1" more offset than an AR.

So are there any tricks of the trade in accounting for offset? Are there landmarks you can use on the optic? I use Aimpoint micros primarily, but I can see a real benefit to a donut type red dot in this application. I don't really want to swap sights but would consider it if that is the only answer.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 10-08-2020 at 03:17 PM.

Yes, it's learning to hold high and then gradually come down to a "normal" POA as distance increases.

Otherwise within 10 yards if something with more oomph than a pistol is needed, something like this might make more sense;

Site Supporter
    It just takes practice. You’ll have to learn your “Kentucky Offset” as you go. Best thing to do is go to the range, get a small aiming point, say a target paster or 1” dot. Start at 3 yards, aim at your dot and mark your hit. Repeat at 5,7,10,15,25. That will give you a solid reference to visualize your holdover. Mostly you just learn, the closer you are, the higher you hold above the intended target.

I always repeat to myself "offset, offset, offset" when shooting carbine at close range. You can try getting an optic that provides a second reticle.
    Another option - use at your own discretion/risk - zero the rifle for 10 yards. Of course, you will have to learn the trajectory beyond that range, should you have to fire at distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    I always repeat to myself "offset, offset, offset" when shooting carbine at close range.
    I do the same...but I say it out loud

Also, just doing alot of dry fire will help your brain remember what the right sight picture should look like. Now a dot in the middle of the forehead looks like a "normal" headshot to me.

I'm also an Eotech user, and I still use the center dot, and offset it for close aiming. The ring is good for fast, mass application of fire, leads on movers, and shooting targets at distance, but I still use the center dot the way I use an aimpoint dot

Site Supporter
    Practice.

Observe the size of your dot vs. a known sized target at varying distance. You can use this as a range estimator, and with a little verbal talk (close, high; normal, center) you'll be on your way in no time.

A big part of this is honesty of the size of the target vs. your desired accuracy. Dot torture at 4 yards, it matters. Dot torture at 8, it doesn't (other things matter a lot more).

As a general observation, if you need to absolutely hit a one inch target, the AR is not your ideal firearm. If you need to dominate at pistol distances, the AR is your friend.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If I could ever remember to use it...

As said above, practice.

With reps it becomes normal. And if you hit 2” low at 10 yards, does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    As a general observation, if you need to absolutely hit a one inch target, the AR is not your ideal firearm.
    Agree. I generally prefer a shotgun for that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post

So are there any tricks of the trade in accounting for offset? Are there landmarks you can use on the optic? I use Aimpoint micros primarily, but I can see a real benefit to a donut type red dot in this application. I don't really want to swap sights but would consider it if that is the only answer.
    On my PCC, which is a rifle that gets used at very close ranges the most, I use an Eotech. Other rifles, I use my first and second fingers as calipers to visualize the distance between center of the bore and center of the optic, which is an offset at a contact distance. Everything else will be less than that, so I look at the target and mentally apply those calipers and go from there. It works, sometimes.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List