Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blame It On LittleLebowski: Chainsaw Related

Blame It On LittleLebowski: Chainsaw Related

Okay, up front I admit I'm a bit of a Luddite. I do my yards with a scythe. I prefer to use manual tools...and battery operated when I need power. So far, I've had pretty good luck for my limited requirements.

Having recently added a couple of Corona pruning saws, 14" and 18", to my arsenal of axes, saws, goloks, machetes and such, it was in a weak moment that I saw that there was a sale with a considerable discount on a Greenworks 80v 18" chainsaw...with charger and battery.

Since I already use the 80v system with one of their blowers, and having a birthday with nothing on my list, the lure of the low price was pretty irresistible. It should be here in a day or two.

It is estimated as equivalent to a 45cc gas powered chainsaw. Should be just about perfect for my uses, and I still have a pretty decent sized oak I need to attend to that was downed in a storm a month or so back. (My buddies will be over with their Stihls as well.)

Anyway, baby steps...

...no bidets or dash cams yet.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I'm guessing the scythe was a joke... Surely you at least use a reel mower?

Nope. Scythe.

This Austrian model in fact, from Lee Valley:

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Nope. Scythe.

Super cool!!

You can get extra use at Halloween when you dress up as the grim reaper.

In terms of the saw, just be careful.

One of my first runs as an EMT, old man sliced his thigh open with a saw. When I asked what happened, he responded "Guess I cut the wrong limb!"

I'll remember that response forever.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Nope. Scythe.

Well, shit... That might be the coolest, manliest thing I've seen in a long while. But I'm definitely not cool enough or manly enough to cut my 2 acres with one. I tip my hat to you, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Well, shit... That might be the coolest, manliest thing I've seen in a long while. But I'm definitely not cool enough or manly enough to cut my 2 acres with one. I tip my hat to you, sir.
    I'm only on just over an acre...and most of it is wooded. The front, side and rear yards take me under an hour and they're not a lawn, they're whatever nature intended for the deer, rabbits and other critters to live on. So, I just cut to keep it under control more than anything else.

It's a good workout when I don't feel like rowing or kettlebells.

Id say get a file for your chain. My guess, a dull chain will make the batteries run down quickly. So after all your friends show up and make short work of the tree...maybe thats a good time to stack the remnants for a bonfire and a few cold ones.
    Being able to run a saw with no ear protection is a huge plus.
    Last edited by UNK; 10-08-2020 at 09:40 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Id say get a file for your chain. My guess, a dull chain will make the batteries run down quickly. So after all your friends show up and make short work of the tree...maybe thats a good time to stack the remnants for a bonfire and a few cold ones.
    Being able to run a saw with no ear protection is a huge plus.
    I think I may already have the right size file...I want to say it's a 5/32" but I may be misremembering. Don't expect to wear it down too fast...and I already have two batteries...one that came with the blower, and one spare I bought on sale. So I'll have three available for any job.

(I'll have to see if I wouldn't rather just replace the chain for $20 odd bucks depending on how long it holds up. I don't mind sharpening knives but haven't done chains.)

The wood is going to my friends as they have wood stoves and wood burning fireplaces. I only have propane fireplaces.

I have a couple of battery yard devices, a pole saw and a line trimmer. I am constantly disappointed by their longevity. I am also a manual sort of guy. Had some guys out here doing some back hoe work on my property, they saw me with a bow saw trimming some limbs, laughed and called it a "Mexican chain saw". Doesn't bother me, by the time they get their saws fired up, I'm done.

Anyway, even though I hate small engines, a good (Stihl, Huskavarna, etc.) chainsaw is a must. Run it with Tru-Fuel or other non ethanol specialty fuel and it will work when you need it to. I use a corded electric Craftsman saw around the house (wherever a 100 ft. extension cord reaches) which cost me $100, and it works great. Saves wear and tear on my Stihl, which I use for more remote tasks.

Notes:

-Yes the non ethanol fuel is expensive, but it is stabilized and can last for years. That means you can have a supply handy in the event you get snowed in or whatever and can't get to a store.

- Stihl has three lines of equipment, Homeowner, Farm and Ranch, and Professional. I have the Farm and Ranch and it's never failed me. I have a service kit on hand as well, along with extra air filters. Even though I'm ma Luddite regarding small engines, I can do the service myself. Spare chains are also a good idea.

- Every time I fire up my saw, I think about all the horrible wounds it can cause if I don't pay attention. This helps me pay attention. I also have a set of chaps to protect my legs. Rest frequently. Tired = mistakes = ER visit.

You'd be astonished at how well a scythe can cut weeds and grass. It's really impressive.
    #RESIST

User Tag List