Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday to me! SP101

Happy Birthday to me! SP101

There was a lot that went into this, my daughter buying her first house, me having to buy a bigger chainsaw to cut down 2 huge dead candle sticks left by the prior owner(s), also me working like a rented mule to fix all the issues left by the previous jackasses... At some pint there was a discussion with my wife and daughter of how much the new saw cost me. I simply said "it was just a couple of revolvers". This led them to get all three kids and my wife to throw in a get me a revolver from my birthday which was Monday before last. They tried to do it in secret but the current market left them unsure of what to get so my wife finally come out with the plan and said pick something out. Out of everything that was available, this was the most desirable and actually fits into future plans. I got it Monday night and I had to work Tuesday so yesterday I got to break it down and shoot it some.

Pretty black and red box.

Inside

I had to do a lot of clean up on the internals. I know Ruger has a tendency to leave some burrs but this one was really bad. It may be because of the current climate and a rush to gut product out the door. All of the throats measure just over .357 with my calipers, I will find out more when I order a set of pin gauges.

The first 5 shots with Remington 158grn semi jacketed soft point ..357 mag

I was expecting more palm shattering recoil and even though I'm nursing a bad cut on my right hand and it was bleeding after the 3rd shot, I have determined that some of you are soft.

I had a partial box of aluminum cased CCI .38 special unknown bullet weight. It did not like them at all. I had sticky extraction with them to the point of tapping the ejection rod with my Benchmade to get it started. I'm glad it was just a partial box because I wont be doing that again.

5 more of the CCIs

I cleaned out the "junk drawer", 2 rounds of this, 3 of that mainly to make empty brass. In all I shot just over 50 rounds for the session.

I cant wait to heal up so I can shoot and I don't bleed all over the gun again. I've got some bullets in from SnS Casting that I will be loading up

Happy Birthday!!

The grip frame stud and grips on that revolver are part of the reason the SP-101 does not punish the hand the way other small .357 Magnum revolvers do. I can run 158-grain full power loads through my SP-101 revolvers with no issues; use the same loads in a S&W M640 or with boot grips on the same SP-101 and my hand is toast within three rounds. The SP-101 is also tougher than any J-frame or K-frame.

Happy Birthday! Nice choice of revolver!

You have been blessed with an appreciative, generous, and pro-gun family. Be thankful!
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Nice post, glad to see you slicked up that SP. Like the dark finish on that model. Reloading fun ahead with help from SNS. Enjoy in good health and God Bless you and your loving family.

Site Supporter
    Glad you like your new revolver. And OUCH! That hand looks painful. You're right, I'm a wimp. If I had that cut I'd be working on my weak hand, unsupported skills. (LOL)

Dave

Congratulations both on the new gun and on having a family that would show their appreciation for you with a new gun!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Hammertime
    Nice gun! I actually never minded .357 out of the SP101. But I never fired more than about half a box

Site Supporter
    Nice!

FWIW, 2.8 grains of Bullseye under those DEWCs will be a factory duplication load. Seat them to the crimp groove and use a roll crimp, makes them easier to load into the chambers.

Happy Birthday! Enjoy!
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Great gift!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List