Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Objectively choosing between 2 guns/systems for EDC

For me, there's nothing like shooting an IDPA match after a long day at work, tired and worn out, to test whether a particular gun works for me under less than ideal circumstances.
    Ordinary guy

Shoot side by side:

The Test
    F.A.S.T
    Hackathorn Standards

From concealment with each gun.

The one you shoot better is the one to choose.

If you shoot both equally, the one that is easier to conceal is the one to choose.

If they both conceal equally well and shoot equally well, then choose the one you have the most accessories for.

Sell the other and buy a duplicate of the one you choose.

Excellent thoughts so far - thanks to all of you who've given input!

I can already tell that I'm going to have to find a different range to do some of these drills. My current range is indoors, and they don't allow drawing period, much less drawing from concealment. But I'm sure I can find somewhere to give them a go.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by mhl6493 View Post
    My question is, what objective process do you personally use to choose between 2 guns (and in this case, 2 different systems) for your carry gun? ...I shoot them pretty much the same. One doesn't really stand out over the other...
    If there are two guns that I shoot about the same and are equally reliable here are my objective thoughts:

1. Weight: For carry you are living with the thing many hours each day. Lighter is simply better.
    2. Size: It's concealed carry. Small is better.
    3. Serviceability. This is way down the list, but it is nice to know if I fall in a sewer or something I can clean it out in a hotel room and get the gun serviceable without difficulty.

Ultimately it is your choice and I would pick whichever one turns you on enough to train. It truly doesn't matter so long as it goes bang when needed.

For me the answer is Glock and I feel like I have tried about them all at this point. Yeager is a tool, but he's not wrong when he says: "All guns should be Glocks, all Glocks should be 9mm and all Glock 9mms should be 19s."
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 10-08-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mhl6493 View Post
    One doesn't really stand out over the other - though subjectively I "like" the Sig.
    As someone who's in the same boat, been carrying Glocks for years but currently revisiting the DA/SA 226, see how well you can manage the DA trigger. It's going to take consistent practice to maintain proficiency with a longer and heavier trigger pull. Shooting at 25yds isn't the end all be all metric but if you're having issues making hits at that distance right out of the gate with a DA trigger, ask yourself if this is something that you're going to devote time and effort into learning how to do. If you can confidently hit a realistically sized target at 25, I think that works as a confidence booster which is important for a shooter.

If you like a gun more than another even if it's because "it looks cooler", you'll probably be motivated to dryfire and take it out to the range more. Try and shoot the Sig more exclusively!

Site Supporter
    I don’t disagree with anything posted but will second that a big part of it for me is what gun/system will allow me to carry a gun every time I leave the house. That’s one reason I went for glocks so I can tote a 26 in the summer full time at work and a 19 or 17 when that size works for me.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    If there are two guns that I shoot about the same and are equally reliable here are my objective thoughts:

1. Weight: For carry you are living with the thing many hours each day. Lighter is simply better.
    2. Size: It's concealed carry. Small is better.
    3. Serviceability. This is way down the list, but it is nice to know if I fall in a sewer or something I can clean it out in a hotel room and get the gun serviceable without difficulty.

Ultimately it is your choice and I would pick whichever one turns you on enough to train. It truly doesn't matter so long as it goes bang when needed.

For me the answer is Glock and I feel like I have tried about them all at this point. Yeager is a tool, but he's not wrong when he says: "All guns should be Glocks, all Glocks should be 9mm and all Glock 9mms should be 19s."
    I agree. The default defensive gun is a Glock 19. I'll never be without one. It checks all my boxes:

1. Carryable
    2. Shootable
    3. Reliable
    4. Safe
    5. Well-designed, well-tested, well-supported, made by a reputable company I trust.
    6. Simple enough for me to understand how it works. Able to proactively replace parts as needed, without needing a gunsmith or sending it to the manufacturer.

Note that I didn't put in anything about how well I shoot it. Unless a gun has terrible ergos, or it simply doesn't fit me at all, I'm willing to put in the time to learn to shoot it well.

Like many of us here on P-F, I've invested a lot of time and money in trying other guns to replace the G19 as my primary carry. When I think what it cost me to figure out that 1911s and Sig p320s don't check all my boxes... Ugh. And what it cost me to figure out that the CZ P-07 does check all my boxes. I'm not sure it's worth it for most people. A Glock 19 is the easy button.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-08-2020 at 03:48 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Like many of us here on P-F, I've invested a lot of time and money in trying other guns to replace the G19 as my primary carry. When I think what it cost me to figure out that 1911s and Sig p320s don't check all my boxes... Ugh.
    I figure it is the price of an education. But yeah.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I am glad that I never really strayed from Glocks. They work great. Never really been tempted to replace them with something else, which has saved me a lot of money it seems

If you own two different guns and are trying to wean down to just one, I'd pick whichever you have more $$$ invested into (guns, mags, accessories, etc). If you're equally deep into both, keep the Glock.

Unlike some here I don't think it's worth trying to figure out which one you "shoot best." I don't think you'll arrive at an objective conclusion, and don't think it matters anyway. You can spend 10 lifetimes learning to shoot either gun and still have room to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I figure it is the price of an education. But yeah.
    Yep. And this class unfortunately has a high price tag...

User Tag List