Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Objectively choosing between 2 guns/systems for EDC

Objectively choosing between 2 guns/systems for EDC

I've had my carry permit for about 5 years, and I've gone back and forth between what gun I carry - mainly between a Glock 19 Gen 4 and a p229 Legion 9mm.

I like the slightly extra feeling of safety I get with the DA/SA Sig, but I like the consistent trigger pull of the G19. They both obviously have advantages and disadvantages.

My question is, what objective process do you personally use to choose between 2 guns (and in this case, 2 different systems) for your carry gun? I go to the range fairly often (at least compared to the average concealed carrier) but my range time has basically consisted of slinging bullets at paper with no real training objectives or drills (it's an indoor range). I know that needs to change. But, given how I've been shooting these two pistols, I shoot them pretty much the same. One doesn't really stand out over the other - though subjectively I "like" the Sig.

Would love to hear from the collective PF wisdom on how you approach this. I'm ready to devote myself primarily to one system and carry gun, and then begin doing what I need to do to actually improve, whatever that might involve. Thanks for your time!

Site Supporter

Objectively choosing between 2 guns/systems for EDC

I recommend vetting both for reliability, if you haven’t already. Of course, a “2,000 round challenge” is a bit pricey these days, but you want to make sure both work well with quality hollow points.

After that, get a shot timer (or use a shot timer app that works) and shoot some drills (good ones are available on pistol-training.com) with both pistols. Shoot the drills from your normal concealment gear.

Compare your performance, and remember that reliably delivered hits on target within the timeframe demanded by the situation (which is not predictable) is what matters most with an EDC handgun.

Other factors to consider are cost of support equipment, concealability, customization potential if that’s your thing, etc.

That’s how I would do it, but it’s a moot point for me since I carry the pistol I’m issued.

ETA: On that last note, I’ll add that my issued pistol is what I carry every day, whether on duty or off. Almost all of my pistol shooting is done with that pistol, or with a very similar model used for competition.

Choosing

I tend to go with the most reliable, as the first point. Then accuracy, then durability.

Once those are met, I stay with whatever I can pick up cold, and then shoot 10 rounds, at ten meters, in ten seconds. It's somewhat old school, but I've found it a good barometer for what YOU can do with the platform.

In my case, it's a 2.0 Shield in 9mm, with the 2.0 Compacts in various calibers as holster guns.

Very little is objective when it comes to choosing a sidearm. Both of them are fine EDC choices.

If the issue with the Glock is fear of a N.D. during holstering you can get a Striker Control Device.

I have one and it definitely makes me less nervous when holstering my G19 AIWB.

Which gun do you "like" better? Which do you want to shoot more?

The G19 is where a lot of lines cross: weight, capacity, serviceability, less prone to rust, less picky about maintenance. The Gen5's are darn near bulletproof.

But there is a lot of P229 love on this forum, as well as liking the TDA.

One Notion that a lot of us on this forum subscribe to is to have two identical carry guns. One to carry after it has been vetted with duty ammo. Then it lives in your holster. The

second gun is for practice and training. It gets all the wear and tear. Plus if something happens to your primary(parts breakage, seized as evidence by police after a shooting)

then your second gun becomes your EDC. Actually, the ideal setup is three guns: EDC. backup EDC, and trainer.

Keep both? Sell one to finance a second gun?

I've carried a Glock 19 for the better part of thirty years now,so I definitely advocate for it.

But, YMMV, always.

Quote Originally Posted by mhl6493 View Post
    I've had my carry permit for about 5 years, and I've gone back and forth between what gun I carry - mainly between a Glock 19 Gen 4 and a p229 Legion 9mm.

I like the slightly extra feeling of safety I get with the DA/SA Sig, but I like the consistent trigger pull of the G19. They both obviously have advantages and disadvantages.

My question is, what objective process do you personally use to choose between 2 guns (and in this case, 2 different systems) for your carry gun? I go to the range fairly often (at least compared to the average concealed carrier) but my range time has basically consisted of slinging bullets at paper with no real training objectives or drills (it's an indoor range). I know that needs to change. But, given how I've been shooting these two pistols, I shoot them pretty much the same. One doesn't really stand out over the other - though subjectively I "like" the Sig.

Would love to hear from the collective PF wisdom on how you approach this. I'm ready to devote myself primarily to one system and carry gun, and then begin doing what I need to do to actually improve, whatever that might involve. Thanks for your time!
    What professional training have you attended?

I don't mean to ask that as any form of put down, but in a serious manner. Training by quality instructors (like a weekend class with Tom Givens) regarding what your use of your pistol will be, will tell you a lot about what works for you and what doesn't and will most definitely help you choose.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    What professional training have you attended?

I don't mean to ask that as any form of put down, but in a serious manner. Training by quality instructors (like a weekend class with Tom Givens) regarding what your use of your pistol will be, will tell you a lot about what works for you and what doesn't and will most definitely help you choose.
    No offense taken at all - that's a great question. This past Saturday, I tool Entry Level Pistol Essential with Brian Hill of the Complete Combatant in Dahlonega, GA. It was a basic class, but I wanted to make sure that my fundamentals were good before taking anything else. Other than that, and my carry permit class (which wasn't much), I haven't taken any professional training. I do plan to take additional classes from the folks at the Complete Combatant. I should have done that a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mhl6493 View Post
    No offense taken at all - that's a great question. This past Saturday, I tool Entry Level Pistol Essential with Brian Hill of the Complete Combatant in Dahlonega, GA. It was a basic class, but I wanted to make sure that my fundamentals were good before taking anything else. Other than that, and my carry permit class (which wasn't much), I haven't taken any professional training. I do plan to take additional classes from the folks at the Complete Combatant. I should have done that a long time ago.
    It's great to hear your commitment to further training. :-)

I do not know anything about Complete Combatant but I'm sure that our members in your area can comment on them.

I'd add that once you have taken your next class, try matches of the IDPA or USPSA type. They're not training per se, but they require you to shoot precisely under time pressure and the mental pressure that provokes will not only be good for your skills (which is the most important) but it will also tell you a bit about your equipment.

Finally, when it comes to choosing which gun, reliability comes first; it has to go bang every time, in all sorts of conditions; end of story. After that, it becomes very individual as far as I'm concerned.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Put 200 rounds of Winchester white box ammo through the Sig and see if you still like it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Put 200 rounds of Winchester white box ammo through the Sig and see if you still like it.
    If I can find some, I'll definitely do that! ;-) It actually did have some feeding issues early on, but has been good to go since then.

I have a set of very objective performance standards, a set of drills, that I judge my ability to perform with a CC pistol against. The old saying, timers and targets do not lie. If I pass those, then I am good with carrying that gun. This assumes the prerequisites of complete reliability including testing with acceptable defensive ammo is passed. After that I think it is simply a matter of which one you are most willing to carry, always. I your case I think the G19 might have a minor weight advantage and a couple of extra rounds, but maybe not enough to matter.

If you are looking for a broad set of objective performance standards (drills) you can measure your performance against, I don't know a better library of them than all those documented in the Rangemaster monthly news letters for the last 3-4 years, which you can go download for free.

User Tag List