Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Objectively choosing between 2 guns/systems for EDC

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    What have you found to work for you under these less than ideal circumstances? Or, what have you found not to work for you?
    When you say "works for you under less than ideal circumstances", are you talking about shooting performance, or reliability?
    I was looking for reliability and shooting performance, but most of all consistency. I wanted to find the platform with which I could very consistently put all my shots in the down zero zone from all distances in the matches, from odd off-balance stances (like leaning out from behind cover, cover garment getting in the way on the draw, shooting with my weak hand, etc.), and do it relatively quickly, but I was willing to give up a little speed for consistent down zero hits. There's something magical about that timer going off that has a way of scrambling one's brain.

For me, that platform is a double action revolver. I can shoot SAO, TDA, or striker fired pistols better (meaning better score at a match) when I'm at my best, but when I'm tired (like after a long difficult day at work), or I'm just not into the match and wish I was somewhere else, or am feeling under pressure, or am not entirely focused on grip/trigger/sights, or get a less than perfect grip on the draw, etc., I've found that I don't shoot semi-autos as well as I do a revolver in that condition. IDPA helped me realize that. I would've never learned that on a square range, and probably not at a training class, either.
    Ordinary guy

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    I was looking for reliability and shooting performance, but most of all consistency. I wanted to find the platform with which I could very consistently put all my shots in the down zero zone from all distances in the matches, from odd off-balance stances (like leaning out from behind cover, cover garment getting in the way on the draw, shooting with my weak hand, etc.), and do it relatively quickly, but I was willing to give up a little speed for consistent down zero hits. There's something magical about that timer going off that has a way of scrambling one's brain.

For me, that platform is a double action revolver. I can shoot SAO, TDA, or striker fired pistols better (meaning better score at a match) when I'm at my best, but when I'm tired (like after a long difficult day at work), or I'm just not into the match and wish I was somewhere else, or am feeling under pressure, or am not entirely focused on grip/trigger/sights, or get a less than perfect grip on the draw, etc., I've found that I don't shoot semi-autos as well as I do a revolver in that condition. IDPA helped me realize that. I would've never learned that on a square range, and probably not at a training class, either.
    I picked a different flavor of competition, but the way you put this really resonated with me and my experience when that BEEP! goes off. Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Objective testing is fine, but honestly minute differences in "shootability" or drill performance aren't what the vast majority, one is tempted to say all, random citizen vs criminal gun fights hinge on. There's been plenty of options on how to determine what you shoot best, but I'll add the ability to not shoot is at least as important as the ability to shoot. Unintended discharges can life altering for the discharger. What can you administratively handle under the stress of post-shooting safer? What will you actually carry?

Nobody objectively shoots a j-frame better then *insert hot competition pistol of the day* yet few select the second option for real world carry.
    That’s a great thought that I hadn’t really considered. I love the extremely short reset on the p229 Legion, but I have to wonder if under extreme stress how likely I’d be to shoot unintentionally because of it. I mean, it’s SO short...

Y’all have given me a lot to think about, and I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Todd G talked about this many years ago.

For most shooters, if you take two (or more) different guns to the range to test objectively, you will not get the best idea for which one is actually better, especially for average joe shooters.

If I were to take a G19 and P229 to the range today and run drills with them, one gun would come out on top. Repeat 3 days later and I will get a different result. There are enough inconsistencies in my shooting to make that happen.

If you really want an objective measurable difference between two platforms, you should pick one platform and train with it exclusively for many months. Can’t remember if he said 3 or 6. Note your scores on various tests. Then switch platforms and yet again stick with one for several months. Whichever one scores better “wins”.

Yes it takes a long time, but by sticking with one platform only, you really get to wring out its performance, and quirks.

Also agree with BB's post above that shootability may not be the best thing to decide regarding a defensive pistol.
    Lots of great advice here. I’ve done what TLG suggested and worked with a single pistol for extended periods of time. I expected for the data to show me clear “winners” and “losers”. But it didn’t. There was not a significant difference between the best times and scores on set tests once I became familiar with something. There were pistols I was more likely to train wreck a drill with. There were pistols that did not work well for me if I had to take time off from practice. This was more telling to me than the pistols I could shoot the best on good days.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List