Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Objectively choosing between 2 guns/systems for EDC

I'm agreeing with Post_4.

I've got both a G19Gen5 and a SIG P229R (9mm). With my personal circumstances of being issued and using Glocks in my LE career for 20 years, I ended up preferring and most comfortable with Glock. My fellow LEOs in neighboring departments which issued SIGs may feel differently about what they prefer to carry.

You can practice with both brands/systems, but all I can see occurring is you'll find becoming proficient with both, if you're not already so. Then it comes down to your subjective feelings on the matter. If you don't have feelings on the issue and need objective testing, then so be it and choose some test criteria as others have also suggested. That's ok too.

BTW, it's ok to be proficient with two systems. You've bought two of my favorite handgun models, although I've got a few more favorites being other Glock models.

I wouldn't get rid of either handgun at this point. Just keep both and decide each day which gun to carry. There's no wrong answer here. After more time, you'll likely begin choosing one over the other and that's the way it goes.

I would first decide on striker fired or DA/SA. Then find a gun that works best for you and train with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I agree. The default defensive gun is a Glock 19. I'll never be without one. It checks all my boxes:

1. Carryable
    2. Shootable
    3. Reliable
    4. Safe
    5. Well-designed, well-tested, well-supported, made by a reputable company I trust.
    6. Simple enough for me to understand how it works. Able to proactively replace parts as needed, without needing a gunsmith or sending it to the manufacturer.

Note that I didn't put in anything about how well I shoot it. Unless a gun has terrible ergos, or it simply doesn't fit me at all, I'm willing to put in the time to learn to shoot it well.

Like many of us here on P-F, I've invested a lot of time and money in trying other guns to replace the G19 as my primary carry. When I think what it cost me to figure out that 1911s and Sig p320s don't check all my boxes... Ugh. And what it cost me to figure out that the CZ P-07 does check all my boxes. I'm not sure it's worth it for most people. A Glock 19 is the easy button.
    Logistics and ease of maintenance are definitely a thing, more so when you have one gun and don't want to have to send it off to fix it. Preventative maintenance is also huge as you pointed out and can keep you from having any major issues for the most part. The Glock 19 is definitely the easy button and at this juncture I couldn't honestly tell anyone to buy anything else in good conscience. They definitely check all the boxes for a one and done.

Since you like the consistent pull of a striker but the safety of a DA/SA have you considered ditching both and trying either a DAO or LEM trigger?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Since you like the consistent pull of a striker but the safety of a DA/SA have you considered ditching both and trying either a DAO or LEM trigger?
    No, but if I can rent one somewhere first to spend some time with it, that’s certainly worth looking into.

Read Darryl Bolke's threads and articles on HK LEM.
    Also GJM's threads on HK USP match/LEM hybrid.

A note on some comments regarding the ease of Glock disassembly. For sure, none of the mainstream guns are as easy and simple to maintain and disassemble as Glock. That doesn’t mean it can’t be learned.

My wife and I have been shooting DA/SA 92s for 20+ years and really, really like them. But she carries a g19 and I carry and M&P9 compact. As received I felt that the triggers on both the G19 and M&P were a little on the light side for carry duty so I started experimenting. We ended up w/ two pistols w/ about 5.5-6# trigger pulls that we both shoot just fine. Since the DA pulls of our 92s are right in that range also we don't have any trouble switching guns. I bought a PX4 compact thinking it might replace one of our carry guns. For whatever reason my wife always shoots it a little to the right (3-4 inches at 30 ft) so no go for her. I shoot it just fine and like it a lot, but it is obviously heavier than the M&P, so it sits in the safe. We see no problem w/ having different systems for edc vs range time for both of us and idpa for me.

The earlier comment by Tennessee Jed in post #11 about shooting an IDPA match is a good one. Shooting a pistol in a dynamic shooting sport activity, like an IDPA, ASI or similar match can give you an excellent feel for how a given platform carries, and how well you can access it, shoot it, reload it, and holster it under stress.

Personally, I've had multiple P229s; both DA/SA and DAK. After years of use and comparison with Glock G19s, I chose the Glock G19. Weight, shootability, maintainability were all criteria The P229 can be an excellent pistol, but for me Glock simply checked mre boxes, and was more comfortable to carry.

An additional factor to consider is naggang concerns over SIG's varying quality control, and the varying inherent quality of some of the gun's components (i.e., mid-level Indian MIM). Those same concerns apply to the SIG P320 family, which would be a more direct comparison with the Glock.

If you want to remain with a DA/SA SIG, I would recommend consideration the polymer-frame SP2022, which almost solely within the SIG handgun lineup has remained virtually problem-free throughout its production, presumably due to mandated military/LEO foreign contracts with quality and QC requirements.

HK has some excellent possibilities in the P30, P2000 and VP lineups as well.

Best, Jon

Thanks again to all of you for the excellent suggestions.

This morning I went to my indoor range and shot a modified version of the Dot Torture test (shooting from compressed ready instead of drawing, no reloading), and a 5 x 5 drill with both the G19 and the p229. I had never shot either of these drills before. Let's just say, I see now why it's called Dot TORTURE - it was very humbling and frustrating indeed. I began the session by shooting 5 rounds with each gun into a B-8 target - I wanted to see how I shot them cold.

While I didn't shoot either gun what I would consider particularly well, I have to say that the G19 was a bit more accurate and natural for me to manipulate. Also, while I didn't time myself, I did try to run through it fairly fast (getting off the trigger and prepping it for the next shot during recoil, shooting again as soon as I thought I had a good sight picture). The p229 actually had a failure to eject when running it at this speed. It hadn't had one of those in about 800 rounds or so. But, I hadn't been shooting it this quickly either. (Shooting a mix of 115 and 147 grain Blazer brass).

So, just based on today's results, it would seem that the G19 would be the choice. I'll run through some additional drills (and take it to a class in the future) just to confirm, but that's the way it's looking as of now.

User Tag List