Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: US Army adopting the Sig 1-6x optic

The US Marines bought the Trijicon VCOG. So LPVO seem to be a force multiplier.

At the price those go for... Why not just go with Night Force?

Quote Originally Posted by jlp View Post
    At the price those go for... Why not just go with Night Force?
    See post #3 in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    See post #3 in this thread.
    LOL! For that matter in bed with with a hooker and blow.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Who makes SIG's optics?
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Probably LOW.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    IIRC, Sig has a development team in the Pac NW with a lot of former Leupold employees. Not sure if they're manufacturing there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    People's Optics Factory #57 in Lanzhou?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Ha touché! But in all seriousness cheap glass and electronics are leaps and bounds above where they were many moons ago. Variable is definitely the future. I am no Sig apologist but if they can deliver good enough quality and reliability at a price point Uncle Sugar can afford with their poor mans budget, (after the HK's of course) why not.
    The answer is all of these it depends on the optic.

Cheaper SIG optics are made in China or the Philippines. Some of the higher and optics like the high end variable power scopes and the Romeo three max red dot optic are made in Japan. The military issue Vortex Razor Gen 2 1-6 is made by LOW in Japan.

SIG is supposed to be starting production of certain optics at their US facility in Oregon. I believe the Sigg Romeo to, the mini red dot optic with the option to Enclose the a mirror with a removable shroud is one of the first optics scheduled to be manufactured in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I really wonder how these are going to be issued. Does the brass just want the soldiers to get a better look at the target before they miss it? Or will this optic, like the M17* - change the face of warfare as we know it?

* Pistol, NOT protective mask.
    Great link and a good laugh.

5.56, new optic, 600 meters. I have some questions. Isn't that like putting lipstick on a pig? Wouldn't it be better to upgrade the rifle (cartridge) instead of the optic? The energy at 600 yds for a 6.5 Grendel is almost twice that of a 5.56. Or maybe Sig is giving those away like the M17. In that case, who cares?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    5.56, new optic, 600 meters. I have some questions. Isn't that like putting lipstick on a pig?
    No.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Great link and a good laugh.

5.56, new optic, 600 meters. I have some questions. Isn't that like putting lipstick on a pig? Wouldn't it be better to upgrade the rifle (cartridge) instead of the optic? The energy at 600 yds for a 6.5 Grendel is almost twice that of a 5.56. Or maybe Sig is giving those away like the M17. In that case, who cares?
    Like many makers, SIG has multiple grades of optic depending on price point and customer requirements. Just because your experience with them has only been in the bargain basement doesn’t mean that’s all they make. Leupold and vortex have made in China bargain basement optics too.

A 1 to 6 scope may be a 600 yard optic on a range with colic to find targets but in general it takes 2x magnification per 100 yards /meters to locate and ID targets under field conditions.

1-6 and 1-8 LPVOs have been the standard 5.56 optic for many special operations forces for years. Successful SOF equipment migrating to conventional forces is nothing new. The USMC just adopted the 1-8x VCOG as a general purpose optic to supplement the 4x ACOGs.

M855A1 is a real improvement in 5.56 performance and the military is still pursuing a new 6.8mm rifle.

As for 6.5 Grendel. All of its positive attributes aside, it’s fatal flaw is it’s tapered case which makes feeding and function in AR style rifle is problematic. Good quality mags can help with this but tapered cases require a continuous curve magazine, the basic engineering challenge remains. In short, given the inherent reliability issues, it would be criminal negligence to push 6.5 Grendel as a primary fighting round in an AR.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Sig must have photos of SecDef in drag or something.
    No, I have video of the sales meeting.

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Correction to the original article, the Army has not yet selected an LPVO. The Sig optic that has been selected was selected by the Air Force, and will be issued alongside the new M4A1s we're all supposed to get and eventually replace the Comp M4 and ACOG via attrition. USAF units that are getting the new optic are going to be our special operations dudes, EOD, and cops. It won't be general issue for people whose jobs don't normally involve carrying a weapon, they'll keep their Aimpoints.

User Tag List