Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Chicago to Southern NH, avoiding the interstate - US 20?

RFI: Chicago to Southern NH, avoiding the interstate - US 20?

I’m driving my Miata east to NH this weekend. I’d like to avoid interstate driving as much as is practical, but I also don’t want to turn this into endless hours behind the wheel. I’ll be splitting the drive across both days. Miatas are great fun, but they are very tiring for long distances on interstate cement. I’ll be bringing earplugs for those segments.

My thought is to get around the bottom of Lake Michigan as quickly as possible and then get on US 20 for the majority of the drive. East of Albany I would cut up towards Bennington, VT and then state roads across southern VT and NH home. I’d like to experience as much of upstate NY and east through VT and NH in daylight as I can, as much for safety as the scenery. (Stephanie suggested this part of the route IIRC.)

I’m thinking that if I can overnight somewhere near Batavia, NY I’ll be set. Mapping suggests Batavia is about 13 hours if I squirt through NWI on 80/94 and bail onto 20 as far east as I can stand the interstate - South Bend, maybe? I’d rather drive longer and later Saturday to give me a better window for Sunday. Batavia to home is an easy 10 hour drive, and would put me through some very nice scenery in the afternoon.

What I really want to do is cut across Ontario, but that’s not going to happen since the border is still closed.

Does anyone have suggestions for decent scenic segments that I can weave into this drive?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

My suggestion would be from the Schenectady/Albany area, wind your way through the back roads of southern VT to Keene, NH - it will undoubtedly be an awesome segment as the colors are now peaking. From Keene, take Rt. 101 the rest of the way which is reasonably quick yet not interstate boring. Weather this weekend looks cooperative.

In the Cleveland, Ohio area, RT-20 is Euclid Avenue which is a main thoroughfare through town. Lots of stop lights, heavy traffic, and some not so pleasant areas to traverse.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    My suggestion would be from the Schenectady/Albany area, wind your way through the back roads of southern VT to Keene, NH - it will undoubtedly be an awesome segment as the colors are now peaking. From Keene, take Rt. 101 the rest of the way which is reasonably quick yet not interstate boring. Weather this weekend looks cooperative.
    That’s my plan. I think it’s NY 7 that heads up that way and changes to a VT state road into Bennington, from there it’s pretty straightforward. I’m guessing it will be gorgeous this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    In the Cleveland, Ohio area, RT-20 is Euclid Avenue which is a main thoroughfare through town. Lots of stop lights, heavy traffic, and some not so pleasant areas to traverse.
    Cleveland is one of the areas I’d hop back on the interstate to scoot around. I’d like to bypass as much urban surface road driving as I can, as much for time as for safety.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Unfortunately I can't recommend anything in that area as I am unfamiliar. But can pass along some things I do if I have to spend for than a few hours in my Miata. You might have already discovered these.
    A small camping pillow to stick between right leg and center console. Another one to wedge under thighs close to the knee.
    Earplugs as you already mentioned.
    If driving with the top up I like to stuff 4 old pillows in the hollow area behind the seats. A big blanket would work too. It greatly reduces the reverberation/echo from back there.
    An empty bottle to piss in just in case you are far from a bathroom on winding back roads.
    Adam

You and a million other leaf-peekers. Since vacationing has changed, and more folks are car vacationing, I would guess southern Vermont will be mobbed with cars this holiday weekend. Route 9 from Bennington east toward Brattleboro. Even up towards Manchester and route 11. Expect slow moving tourist traffic.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Hammertime
    Get around the horn of Lake Michigan as fast as possible. Even consider the high speed ferry from Milwaukee across.

I can't give a lot of advice but I remember driving across the Adirondacks area of NY 25 years ago and thinking to myself they were some of the best sports car roads ever built. It was long ago and I can't remember the road but I bet if you head toward NH you are on the right track. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That’s my plan. I think it’s NY 7 that heads up that way and changes to a VT state road into Bennington, from there it’s pretty straightforward. I’m guessing it will be gorgeous this weekend.

Cleveland is one of the areas I’d hop back on the interstate to scoot around. I’d like to bypass as much urban surface road driving as I can, as much for time as for safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    You and a million other leaf-peekers. Since vacationing has changed, and more folks are car vacationing, I would guess southern Vermont will be mobbed with cars this holiday weekend. Route 9 from Bennington east toward Brattleboro. Even up towards Manchester and route 11. Expect slow moving tourist traffic.

Great roads, but this weekend will likely be full of tourists gawking. I went to college in Troy, NY and lived in the greater Manchester, NH area. A quick 150 mile trip each way, but I would usually stay at school the month of October to avoid the traffic.

Route 2 across MA isn’t a bad drive either, but it goes through some towns and may be crowded as well, depending on where the foliage is peaking. There’s a knee dragging hairpin turn near North Adams that I recall from my motorcyclist days...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    ...I went to college in Troy, NY ......
    Ha me too. RPI class of 84.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Route 2 across MA isn’t a bad drive either, but it goes through some towns and may be crowded as well, depending on where the foliage is peaking. There’s a knee dragging hairpin turn near North Adams that I recall from my motorcyclist days...
    I do not recommend said corner in a 68 El Camino with all wheel drum brakes and a powerglide. One’s mother, occupying the passenger seat, will likely be less than amused when she notices the inability to sit still without shifting to neutral at a red light at the bottom of the hill.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

User Tag List