Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: ATF issues cease and desist on Q LLC Honey Badger Pistol

Site Supporter
    Wouldn't the disabled angle imply you have to be certified by a physician to qualify for such? Just like a parking permit. Moscow Mitch and Ryan should have tried to get the SBR rules voided by legislation but they had no interest in such.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

But it shouldn’t surprise you that eventually loopholes often get closed.
    Like what happened with NFA gun trusts.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    If we really believed that the "braced pistol" was a pistol we wouldn't be talking about it in the Rifles and Carbines section.
    Well, except that AR and AK pattern pistols have more in common with their functionality and technique use with an AK Rifle or AR Carbine than they do with a traditional pistol.

So in that vein, since these are the Hardware (technical) Forums - is the most appropriate place for them among the Glocks (Semi-Auto Pistols) or among the Rifles and Carbines, where we discuss hardware (and software) issues related to the application of things with charging handles?

IMO both sides are quite aware of the reindeer games(ATF/Civilians). And sometimes I cant help but think we have some allies inside the ATF that open windows for us. But if our side steps out they are left with no choice then to apply ruler to knuckles. The Origin 12 would be an example. They put a forward grip on it and got the beat down but I haven't heard of any action against mossy, remy, black aces etc etc. But in this case its a field agent making the judgement call which is highly unusual(without precedent?). So one might speculate its the anti side trying to go up against the pro 2a side internally.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Wouldn't the disabled angle imply you have to be certified by a physician to qualify for such? Just like a parking permit. Moscow Mitch and Ryan should have tried to get the SBR rules voided by legislation but they had no interest in such.
    Except that the ADA does not require you to be certified 'disabled' to exercise your constitutional rights at a federal level and prevents many such requests at a state or private employer level. An entity is only allowed to gather 'so much' information for a reasonable accommodation request, before they must comply.

But this does strike me as a really good idea Glenn.

SB Tactical should get their company ISO 13485 certified (Medical Equipment Manufacturing) - Then they can argue that their devices are medical devices as opposed to firearms accessories.

Site Supporter
    I'm no lawyer but at my university, students claiming some accommodation had to go through the appropriate office and document their status. Then the office would contact me as to a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    SB Tactical should get their company ISO 13485 certified (Medical Equipment Manufacturing) - Then they can argue that their devices are medical devices as opposed to firearms accessories.
    Wouldn't FDA regulations then come into play? If so, not sure if that's a pro or con...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Like what happened with NFA gun trusts.
    Not exactly. Prohibited persons were always prohibited, it's just that no one was checking before. More significantly, the print and photo requirements came in at the same time the CLEO signature went away. Trusts were traditionally the "loophole" to get around the arbitrary and capricious CLEO signature requirement. It ain't 1934 anymore and it's a lot easier for me to get prints and photos done than to get facetime with my local sheriff or police chief in the urban areas where most people live now. The days of "Hey Sheriff Andy, can you sign this lil' ol' fed paperwork for me?" are over for 90% of the population.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Wouldn't FDA regulations then come into play? If so, not sure if that's a pro or con...
    Given the shit show that is FDA laser regulation, likely a con.

Though as someone with Tinnitus, I think my doctor should be able to RX me suppressors.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I'm no lawyer but at my university, students claiming some accommodation had to go through the appropriate office and document their status. Then the office would contact me as to a plan.
    Right, but that is mostly about ADA compliance to avoid fines and lawsuits. It is not the purview of the Student Disability Office to determine if a student's claimed disability is 'legitimate' or not. Merely to determine if the accommodation requested meets the ADA standards for accessibility.

Similarly, when a private company requests documentation for a disability it can only do so to determine if the accommodation request is reasonable and what their legal liability and responsibilities are.

And the feds have very limited ability to ask for such documentation. And certainly the ATF cannot ask you to provide information about disability status to determine if you're allowed to own an arm brace.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Not necessarily. ISO certification just says you meet the standards to manufacture medical equipment, not that you do manufacture medical equipment. So, unless you start directly making your device available as a medical device you'll be okay. I'm just thinking out loud of ways to increase your arsenal of ways to attack the ATF.

___

But @HCM's point about silencers being RX...hmm. Maybe I should start a medical grade silencer company and manufacture FDA-approved silencers? Man talk about a can of worms (heh, pardon the pun).

User Tag List