Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG P320 AXG Scorpion - A Factory Metal Frame P320

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The approach Sig took with this is the 'American automaker' approach. We'll test it, but then we know there will be rolling changes, recalls, etc. As long as make more money selling them than we do repairing them, then we have it under control.

___

I concur that 'modularity' is overplayed these days. We've already seen most folks aren't actively changing their FCU and configurations around (some are, but most aren't) so it doesn't really matter. Folks are going to end up with multiple pistol sizes pretty much regardless (folks aren't swapping FCUs between frames, as part of a 'carry rotation'). And the general level of 'modularity' only needs to apply to the ability to swap parts with minimal fitting from the end-user/armorer.
    Just because people are not swapping configurations daily or weekly doesn’t mean modularity is not valuable, especially for institutional users. If one of my officers buys a personal P320 and decides they want a bigger or smaller gun it’s a matter of buying the appropriate OEM parts, having an instructor or armorer swap it out, and shooting a qualification with the new configuration. As opposed to having to D authorize the old gun then do an armor inspection, qualification And the administrative process of getting a new gun approved in the system.

Having small medium and large sizes of various configurations is also useful given our last three issued duty guns have been one size fits all.

^^^
    This so much. I'm not swapping components on a daily basis but I did "setup" two different P320s' for two very different users. The agency buys the P320 Carry in 9mm. (Any 320 in 9, 40, or 45 may be carried if the officer buys it themselves.)

One user was a female admin type. I ended up getting her a X compact grip module which made the pistol physically smaller and fit her hand better. She shot it better and it was easier for her to carry on a daily basis. For another user - a full duty belt wearing, gifted shooter, I bought an X grip module, weight and full length slide. I then added Trijicon HD-XR's. The P320 with X grip and weight shoots like a completely different gun.

Once the configuration is set, it doesn't change much but an institutional customer, to have one serialized part that you can setup as needed, it is a gift.

Get it dialed in and then leave it alone is the true use of the modular pistol.

(The problem is that nobody cares or knows any better. Safariland makes a whole bunch of parts to make their holsters fit the female structure better. If installed correctly, these parts can make a huge difference. The number of female officers I've seen with a properly setup holster can be counted on one hand with several fingers left.)
    Last edited by John Hearne; 10-07-2020 at 04:41 PM.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I appreciated being able to swap from the OEM Compact grip module to the X-Carry one on my personal P320 RX-the angles and ergos are better for me, and it was ideal to be able to effectively test the Check-Mate contract 17 round fullo-size magazines with the Henning Group basepads (frankly, given what we've seen of magazine over-insertion issues with the ejector part of the FCU chassis, in my case switching to the larger module was darn near essential...).

I'd be willing to experiment with the aluminum frame-in black.

Berst, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Technically this is the second metal frame P320 this year. However, I don't know if the first went anywhere as things went all Covidy after the announcement.
    https://thegundealer.net/product/sig...order-2162-99/
    It looks like a Shadow and an Arex had some kids and those kids started inbreeding.
    Name:  sig-sauer-p320-x-five-alpha-pistole-p226-nxt-7.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  23.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    It looks like a Shadow and an Arex had some kids and those kids started inbreeding.
    Name:  sig-sauer-p320-x-five-alpha-pistole-p226-nxt-7.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  23.7 KB
    That is unkind. And also kinda true.

More info about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The approach Sig took with this is the 'American automaker' approach. We'll test it, but then we know there will be rolling changes, recalls, etc. As long as make more money selling them than we do repairing them, then we have it under control.

___

I concur that 'modularity' is overplayed these days. We've already seen most folks aren't actively changing their FCU and configurations around (some are, but most aren't) so it doesn't really matter. Folks are going to end up with multiple pistol sizes pretty much regardless (folks aren't swapping FCUs between frames, as part of a 'carry rotation'). And the general level of 'modularity' only needs to apply to the ability to swap parts with minimal fitting from the end-user/armorer.
    I see value in it. I need a large module with a flat trigger. I can take the same gun and easily throw another module on it at the range for someone else. Or I can take a class with the full size length module then swith it over to a compact length for carry. What pisses me off is they are making L X grip modules to fulfill govt contracts but they dont sell them to the public.
    Last edited by UNK; 10-08-2020 at 03:51 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Just because people are not swapping configurations daily or weekly doesn’t mean modularity is not valuable, especially for institutional users. If one of my officers buys a personal P320 and decides they want a bigger or smaller gun it’s a matter of buying the appropriate OEM parts, having an instructor or armorer swap it out, and shooting a qualification with the new configuration. As opposed to having to D authorize the old gun then do an armor inspection, qualification And the administrative process of getting a new gun approved in the system.

Having small medium and large sizes of various configurations is also useful given our last three issued duty guns have been one size fits all.
    Not to mention the DoD organizations that are securing unit upgrades for the M17 and M18. Safety removals, x grips, magwell, flat triggers for SOCOM units as well as X-Compact grips.

https://soldiersystems.net/2020/09/2...onversion-kit/
    The kit described is their X-Compact conversion. The pictured unit is the M18X they're providing to SOCOM. X-Full configurations are being carried by an SMU.

You don't have to utilize, or personally need, all the advantages of the P320 modularity. But the MHS is barely being issued and units are already taking advantage of its versatility.

As for whoever said "stupid MIM ejector"... Being as it's part of a stamped sheet metal FCU your blind bias is showing. While a definite argument could be made in favor of a seperate ejector, the fact is its not MIM unless someone is MIMing sheet metal then stamping and bending it.

So it doesn't have the recoil-dampening flex of polymer, or the recoil-absorbing weight of steel. Also less adjustable in terms of overall grip size or trigger reach than the polymer, but I guess you can get g10 or other grips if you want that. You can coat it to match the slide or polish and anodize it if you want.

It seems more like a cosmetic/style thing to me. If they'd made it out of steel that would make sense for competition or a heavy weight duty gun, but this does not get those benefits.

I dont know about that. Im not that worried about the dampening effects of recoil in a 9mm. But I can say that I MUCH prefer a metal frame over a polymer one. Ive got an assortment of polymer and I live with it. But I feel like my grip on metal and G10 for example is much better to me. Not sure I can really articulate why.

User Tag List