Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG P320 AXG Scorpion - A Factory Metal Frame P320

Site Supporter

SIG P320 AXG Scorpion - A Factory Metal Frame P320

Well, It is a modular handgun, I suppose this was coming eventually whether SIG did it or not.

P320 AXG SCORPION
    Combining the weight and balance of a metal framed pistol with the performance and reliability of the P320.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p320-...XG95Nqui74QwiE

Name:  p320-axg-scorpion-right-3-4_1.jpg
Views: 2170
Size:  33.2 KB

Name:  p320-axg-hero-large.jpg
Views: 2343
Size:  50.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Well, It is a modular handgun, I suppose this was coming eventually whether SIG did it or not.

P320 AXG SCORPION
    Combining the weight and balance of a metal framed pistol with the performance and reliability of the P320.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p320-...XG95Nqui74QwiE

Name:  p320-axg-scorpion-right-3-4_1.jpg
Views: 2170
Size:  33.2 KB

Name:  p320-axg-hero-large.jpg
Views: 2343
Size:  50.5 KB

Sig going after the purists it looks like, trying to win over the legacy series hold outs. IMO it looks like a more modern 229, which may or may not be a bad thing, depending on the QC.

Interested in seeing what the price point is going to be. Sig will at least add $100 for the G-10 grip panels alone....

All things considered, I actually like this more than the standard 320 in any of it's configurations. Wonder why the design change on the mag release? They have had that triangle release for quite a while starting with the 2022, wonder is the design doesn't play well with metal?

At least everything else looks cross compatible.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    Sig going after the purists it looks like, trying to win over the legacy series hold outs. IMO it looks like a more modern 229, which may or may not be a bad thing, depending on the QC.

Interested in seeing what the price point is going to be. Sig will at least add $100 for the G-10 grip panels alone....

All things considered, I actually like this more than the standard 320 in any of it's configurations. Wonder why the design change on the mag release? They have had that triangle release for quite a while starting with the 2022, wonder is the design doesn't play well with metal?

At least everything else looks cross compatible.

TXPO
    Don't corners potentially induce stress cracks in metal ? The metal around the mag release on the 226/226 is thin and I know you can damage the frame there if not careful when reversing mag catches. the round mag catch is probably a god move.

PA AXG = Alloy Xseries Grip

I agree, looks much like a striker-fired P229. Kind of a reverse of the P350 to P320 route....

My thought is that it's probably a more viable route for .40/.357 SIG chamberings with the additional weight provided, but I doubt that's SIG's intent or market target.

I'm sure the concept is eminently viable. The devil in the details will be SIG's attention to detail and product integtrity in the manufacturing and assembly process-patrticularly quality control, and in thoroughly testing before released into the market stream.

If the 9mm ammunition shortfally continues for a protracted period, I might seriously consider this in .40, but if I go that route, it would be competing against the new Glock Gen3 G22 and SIG's own DA/SA P2022 for my discretionary income dollars.

Best, Jon

I'd be curious to see how the weight compares to an X frame with the grip weight. I'm also assuming that those are legit grip panels that could be swapped to adjust for size. Hmmmm….

Also, the new magazines look good. I never understood why they put the witness holes on the side a right handed shooter wouldn't see them.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I'd be curious to see how the weight compares to an X frame with the grip weight. I'm also assuming that those are legit grip panels that could be swapped to adjust for size. Hmmmm….

Also, the new magazines look good. I never understood why they put the witness holes on the side a right handed shooter wouldn't see them.
    It says 31 ounces I believe.

They had introduced an aluminum frame for the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier guards two years ago, so they've played around with aluminum frames before. Interesting that they changed the magazine release.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

This is something that would really interest me. I've just been burned by Sig's (lack of) QC so many times that I don't think I could drop the dough in good faith. Even with my 226 Stainless Nitron that started out promising, after a couple of thousand rounds it started developing serious reliability issues and had to be sent back. After I got it back I had no interest in owning it and swore off Sigs of all kinds.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    P320 AXG SCORPION

So, it goes off when you drop it, it bends ejectors if you insert a mag too firmly, and it has running changes that creates compatibility issues between different, supposedly interchangeable parts (the anti-thesis' of modularity)?

___

A metal P320 with a thumb safety would have my attention. But I'll wait about 5-6 years for the drop safety, bent ejectors, and generation 4 guns to come out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    So, it goes off when you drop it, it bends ejectors if you insert a mag too firmly, and it has running changes that creates compatibility issues between different, supposedly interchangeable parts (the anti-thesis' of modularity)?

___

A metal P320 with a thumb safety would have my attention. But I'll wait about 5-6 years for the drop safety, bent ejectors, and generation 4 guns to come out.
    The drop safety and ejector issues have nothing to do with modularity other than it is Alanis Morissette level ironic that the modular handgun does not have a modular ejector.

What are the modularity issues other than mag base plates?

They have pretty clearly figured out how to make the 320 drop safe, at least when they want to Or when someone makes them.

User Tag List