Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen5 40S&W New Release

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    This.
    Yep. That is the driving force behind much of the "9 is fine" argument. That, and at one time, cost. It's very plain in the FBI report that started all this crap again. If one reads the actual report. Why we listen to that bunch of treasonous liberal scum I have no idea except "authority" I suppose. Oh well. To each his really. I carry what I want and the vast majority don't even own a gun let alone carry one let alone 100% of the time.

Let the dog-piling begin!

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Yep. That is the driving force behind much of the "9 is fine" argument. That, and at one time, cost. It's very plain in the FBI report that started all this crap again. If one reads the actual report. Why we listen to that bunch of treasonous liberal scum I have no idea except "authority" I suppose. Oh well. To each his really. I carry what I want and the vast majority don't even own a gun let alone carry one let alone 100% of the time.

Let the dog-piling begin!

Cat
    Are you a fan or a foe of .40? I’m not following.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Non expanding round nosed projectiles..... due to the elasticity of human tissue ......produces a wound channel at somewhere around 60 to 65%.... if I recall correctly .....of the starting diameter of the projectile. So the slightly bigger wound channel that a 40 could produce for me does not offset the far more difficult to shoot cartridge.

Sorry forgot to add if you're one of those who post more than they read SHO is single hand only and WHO is weak hand only. Common terms on the forum.
    I don't personally consider .40 to be "far more difficult to shoot." Particularly in a pistol with a heavier slide and properly configered and tuned RSA. I 9mm "easier," less expensive, less platform wear inducing? Sure. But it's not like .40 is a battering ram.

.40 is still an eminently viable cartridge. There are pros for it, in addition to the cons.

And just as an aside, snide snarkiness normally isn't overly appreciated here. Nor does it necessarily reinforce whatever points your attempting to establish to your advantage, or credibility.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I don't personally consider .40 to be "far more difficult to shoot." Particularly in a pistol with a heavier slide and properly configered and tuned RSA. I 9mm "easier," less expensive, less platform wear inducing? Sure. But it's not like .40 is a battering ram.

.40 is still an eminently viable cartridge. There are pros for it, in addition to the cons.

And just as an aside, snide snarkiness normally isn't overly appreciated here. Nor does it necessarily reinforce whatever points your attempting to establish to your advantage, or credibility.

Best, Jon
    In a world where people value extremely light triggers I would guess even a slight increase in split times or equal split times with less accuracy seems vitally important. Thus I would consider the 40 in any equal platform less shootable than a 9.

Yes the 40 in a steel framed gun is quite pleasant to shoot.

The 40 is a very viable cartridge probably in some ways superior to the nine...... Juice versus squeeze YMMV. I think my original point was showing that the amount you gain from 40 in non-expanding ammunition versus nine is very minimal and is that worth all the downsides that come with a 40.

If the 9mm disappeared I would be perfectly content with a 40. I'm just glad the nine is available so I can carry a smaller lighter platform that will do 90 to 95% of what the 40 can do.

Excellent point about the snarkiness..... I never start that way it was just a response to an earlier snarky response.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    In a world where people value extremely light triggers I would guess even a slight increase in split times or equal split times with less accuracy seems vitally important. Thus I would consider the 40 in any equal platform less shootable than a 9.

Yes the 40 in a steel framed gun is quite pleasant to shoot.

The 40 is a very viable cartridge probably in some ways superior to the nine...... Juice versus squeeze YMMV. I think my original point was showing that the amount you gain from 40 in non-expanding ammunition versus nine is very minimal and is that worth all the downsides that come with a 40.

If the 9mm disappeared I would be perfectly content with a 40. I'm just glad the nine is available so I can carry a smaller lighter platform that will do 90 to 95% of what the 40 can do.

Excellent point about the snarkiness..... I never start that way it was just a response to an earlier snarky response.
    Fair enough-on all counts.

Comparing .40 in a Gen 3 Glock G22 to a Gen4 G22, I much prefer the Gen4. I have equal if not higher expectations with a Gen5 G22. The only reason I'm a tad reluctant to immediately get a Gen5 is because I'm satisifed with the Gen4, and my Glock .357 SIG barrel won't work with the Gen5. Of course, if I got the Gen5, the .357 SIG barrel would likely to be permanantly installed in the Gen4....

And as DocGKR lays out nicely in the Duty/Service Ammo section, once you go from full-size (G22) to compact (G23) .40 (or .357 SIG) Glock, my interest proportionately diminishes....

In my personal experience, HK has done the best in taming the 40, due to using a heavier slide ad a flat-wire RSA in my VP40, and a heavier slide and SA buffer in my G30L. Due to the ongoing ammunition shortage, you shoot the caliber that you can most easily, and cost effectively get ammunition for-which in my area (Pacific NW/metro Seattle) it's .40....

All things/calibers being equal (eventually), I'd generally default to 9mm for EDC/duty-but prefer .40 as a rural/wilderness/hunting back-up cartridge, due to its greater penetrative capabilities wth quality vetted cartridges.

Best, Jon

Yes, fan. Forty, forty five, love 'em both. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Cat

Site Supporter
    The cat shitter appears to be a fan of QAnon.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Fair enough-on all counts.

Comparing .40 in a Gen 3 Glock G22 to a Gen4 G22, I much prefer the Gen4. I have equal if not higher expectations with a Gen5 G22. The only reason I'm a tad reluctant to immediately get a Gen5 is because I'm satisifed with the Gen4, and my Glock .357 SIG barrel won't work with the Gen5. Of course, if I got the Gen5, the .357 SIG barrel would likely to be permanantly installed in the Gen4....

And as DocGKR lays out nicely in the Duty/Service Ammo section, once you go from full-size (G22) to compact (G23) .40 (or .357 SIG) Glock, my interest proportionately diminishes....

In my personal experience, HK has done the best in taming the 40, due to using a heavier slide ad a flat-wire RSA in my VP40, and a heavier slide and SA buffer in my G30L. Due to the ongoing ammunition shortage, you shoot the caliber that you can most easily, and cost effectively get ammunition for-which in my area (Pacific NW/metro Seattle) it's .40....

All things/calibers being equal (eventually), I'd generally default to 9mm for EDC/duty-but prefer .40 as a rural/wilderness/hunting back-up cartridge, due to its greater penetrative capabilities wth quality vetted cartridges.

Best, Jon

It would be interesting to compare a Gen 4 22 with a Gen 5 23. To see if the shooting difference is still significant between the two guns.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    It would be interesting to compare a Gen 4 22 with a Gen 5 23. To see if the shooting difference is still significant between the two guns.
    You know, that's an excellent thought that in all honesty I hadn't considered. Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The cat shitter appears to be a fan of QAnon.

Wow, that's quite insulting. Did I step on your toes at some point? If so, sorry, I apologize. If your post was meant as a joke, I don't get the humor. Can't see a connection between the twist you put on my user name and QAnon. If not, go fuck yourself. I suggest you put me on your ignore list. You're on mine.

Cat

User Tag List