Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen5 40S&W New Release

At around a 65% ROI on non-expanding ammunition SHO and WHO shoot ability along with platform durability does not support the larger caliber in a practical sense. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Forte Smitten Wesson View Post
    It's crazy that it took Glock so long to finally start building Glocks specifically for the .40 S&W cartridge, especially now that the popularity of the cartridge has declined to the point that even Smith & Wesson themselves hasn't been supporting it. (The M&P Shield PLUS is exclusively chambered in 9mm Luger, previously S&W made all of their pistols for .40 S&W dating all the way back to the original Sigma SW40F in 1994.)

I recall how in years passed folks used to complain about how Smith & Wesson's pistols were thicker than Glocks, perhaps now folks understand why that was.
    I think at the time Glock sold every 40 they could make so why would they update it?

I for one I'm glad the 40 is going away......now we don't have to carry 40 size 9 mm pistols. As most manufacturers did not have separate platforms for the calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I think at the time Glock sold every 40 they could make so why would they update it?

I for one I'm glad the 40 is going away......now we don't have to carry 40 size 9 mm pistols. As most manufacturers did not have separate platforms for the calibers.
    The only two companies that I know of who made their firearms for .40 S&W then chambered them in 9mm Luger were Smith & Wesson and Heckler & Koch. Also, said firearms had the fringe benefit of being extremely durable compared to other brands which took the opposite approach.

At around a 65% ROI on non-expanding ammunition SHO and WHO shoot ability along with platform durability does not support the larger caliber in a practical sense. YMMV.
    Huh? Return On Investment? Special High Output? World Health Organization? I guess I'm LITW dude, DItW.

Cat

The only two companies that I know of who made their firearms for .40 S&W then chambered them in 9mm Luger were Smith & Wesson and Heckler & Koch. Also, said firearms had the fringe benefit of being extremely durable compared to other brands which took the opposite approach.

H&k sig s & w which are guns that I have owned in the past that were unnecessarily big and heavy. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Huh? Return On Investment? Special High Output? World Health Organization? I guess I'm LITW dude, DItW.

Cat

Non expanding round nosed projectiles..... due to the elasticity of human tissue ......produces a wound channel at somewhere around 60 to 65%.... if I recall correctly .....of the starting diameter of the projectile. So the slightly bigger wound channel that a 40 could produce for me does not offset the far more difficult to shoot cartridge.

Sorry forgot to add if you're one of those who post more than they read SHO is single hand only and WHO is weak hand only. Common terms on the forum.

.40 S&W uses flat-nosed bullets by design.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Yes, I want big balls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Not sure I should say this, but I like big balls too.
    ... “but we’ve got the biggest balls of them all”

Someone had t.

Non expanding round nosed projectiles..... due to the elasticity of human tissue ......produces a wound channel at somewhere around 60 to 65%.... if I recall correctly .....of the starting diameter of the projectile. So the slightly bigger wound channel that a 40 could produce for me does not offset the far more difficult to shoot cartridge.

Sorry forgot to add if you're one of those who post more than they read SHO is single hand only and WHO is weak hand only. Common terms on the forum.
    “Far more difficult”?

Add SIG-Sauer P229 and FN High Power (originally 9mm, thoroughly redesigned for .40, and then 9mm benefitted from the redesign). Beretta eventually did the same thing to their 92 line, after the 96.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    “Far more difficult”?
    This.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List