Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen5 40S&W New Release

Wondering if a Gen 3-4 G32 barrel will work in the 23.5

The G19 locking block/barrel geometry was chosen for all of the 9mm Gen 5's of all sizes, wondering if they did the same for the .40 and standardized on that 19/23/32 dimension set for all of the locking blocks and barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m actually still a fan of the .40 - my first Glock was a Gen2 23 that I picked up in the early 90s and shot until I moved to M&P in the mid naughts. I have a substantial amount of ammunition here, too.

A 23.5 may be what I use this year’s blue label coupon to pick up; a 27.5 is tempting, too. I still have hopes that we will see Gen5 versions of the 31-32-33, too.
    It took awhile, but I picked up a 27.5 today.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Anyone else with a 27.5? I just ordered sights, my usual Ameriglo Hack - the Gen5 version. I’ll report back on POI, I have a small cache of .40 here in IL to shoot it in.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Anyone else with a 27.5? I just ordered sights, my usual Ameriglo Hack - the Gen5 version. I’ll report back on POI, I have a small cache of .40 here in IL to shoot it in.
    I like Ameriglo Hacks on my G 21

It's crazy that it took Glock so long to finally start building Glocks specifically for the .40 S&W cartridge, especially now that the popularity of the cartridge has declined to the point that even Smith & Wesson themselves hasn't been supporting it. (The M&P Shield PLUS is exclusively chambered in 9mm Luger, previously S&W made all of their pistols for .40 S&W dating all the way back to the original Sigma SW40F in 1994.)

I recall how in years passed folks used to complain about how Smith & Wesson's pistols were thicker than Glocks, perhaps now folks understand why that was.

.40 S&W might be dying in the US, not as quickly as some people think, but there are still big contracts to be had worldwide. I believe the Gen5 .40s were designed to with a very large Brazilian contract and were successful in doing so.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Forte Smitten Wesson View Post
    It's crazy that it took Glock so long to finally start building Glocks specifically for the .40 S&W cartridge, especially now that the popularity of the cartridge has declined to the point that even Smith & Wesson themselves hasn't been supporting it. (The M&P Shield PLUS is exclusively chambered in 9mm Luger, previously S&W made all of their pistols for .40 S&W dating all the way back to the original Sigma SW40F in 1994.)

I recall how in years passed folks used to complain about how Smith & Wesson's pistols were thicker than Glocks, perhaps now folks understand why that was.
    And to think I almost bought a P7M10...
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    .40 S&W might be dying in the US, not as quickly as some people think, but there are still big contracts to be had worldwide. I believe the Gen5 .40s were designed to with a very large Brazilian contract and were successful in doing so.
    I still like .40, mostly because I’ve always lived in parka and Carhartt chore coat country. If I’m going to be clogging hollow points and effectively turning them into ball, I’d rather they be bigger and heavier. Yes, I want big balls.
    Ken

I still like .40, mostly because I’ve always lived in parka and Carhartt chore coat country. If I’m going to be clogging hollow points and effectively turning them into ball, I’d rather they be bigger and heavier. Yes, I want big balls.
    Back in the days when Federal Hydra-shok was the most advanced round available those were valid concerns. I think the heavy clothing and four-layer denim tests are supposed to be good approximations for shooting through things like heavy winter coats. Ammunition that does well in those tests tends to do well when shooting people wearing Carhartt jackets. There’s also ammunition like Hornady Critical Duty and Speer G2 with the little polymer doodad inside the bullet’s hollow point which is supposed to prevent clothing from plugging the round.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

With pistol bullets it's still a "maybe". Maybe they'll expand, maybe they won't. Rifles are a different story though, the technology just has more velocity to work with. Much more dependable.

Not sure I should say this, but I like big balls too.

Cat

User Tag List