Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI: USPSA Single Stack

Don't shoot a lot of USPSA these days but when I do it's single stack because it's the next best thing to revolver which really is dead. Plenty enough guys in my area still play in SS to make it interesting including one GM and several Masters.

I run DAA mag pouches bullets out because even though I have plenty ample waist, real estate on the belt is just easier.

Safariland USPSA Kit (wouldn't bother if I was doing it over) with a 5197 holster.

Non-rail SA TRP for major, STI Trojan for minor.

Alphas are easier and quicker with minor. Stage design plays into it, but all the big boys at the big matches always seem to run major. Minor is like rimfire, it's almost cheating.

FWIW, my buddy that shoots Single Stack primarily and is currently the IPSC Classic champion told me that the best out-the-box SS gun is probably a Nighthawk; his smith that was squadded with us that day agreed. This was influenced by the fact that Nighthawk is much accommodating to customization compared to Wilson Combat, so if you're not picky, it may not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    FWIW, my buddy that shoots Single Stack primarily and is currently the IPSC Classic champion told me that the best out-the-box SS gun is probably a Nighthawk; his smith that was squadded with us that day agreed. This was influenced by the fact that Nighthawk is much accommodating to customization compared to Wilson Combat, so if you're not picky, it may not matter.
    With their guns coming in over $3k, that’s probably not where I’m going to start out. If that’s what it takes to get a reliable 1911 in 2020 then I’ll skip the whole thing.

Fortunately, some folks seem to report passable results with guns costing half that or less.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    There are many factory 1911 guns that can be made to be reliable. I think John McClain finished 12th at single stack nats with a Rock Island. Again, I am not the luckiest guy in the world when it comes to getting a reliable gun out of the box, but if you buy one, and it passes the 10-8 test, you'll probably be good to go as far as feeding/firing/ejecting.

The 10-8 test is the single greatest indicator of reliability in most of the guns I've fired. Of the seven 1911's I own, only one won't pass the 10-8 test and it will give me brass to the face. It still runs decently in matches etc, but I'm still working on it until I trust it. The other six pass the test and have not had a feedway jam since I got them to pass it. I've seen guys running Rugers, Remington R1's, Sig 1911's, S&W1911's, Kimbers (yep) and Colts.

That's not to say they won't have other stuff go wrong, but the feedway stoppage is the biggest problem with most factory 1911's and the more common malfunction. I'd say the best option is probably something like a Springfield RO elite with the fixed sights, or a Ruger SR1911. Do the 10-8 test, if it passes, great, if not, either fix it yourself or get it looked at by a smith for a reliability package.

I'd love to run one of these for no particular reason other than because:colt but they seem to be non-existant in the real world
    https://www.colt.com/detail-page/gold-cup-trophy-45acp

Name:  920584.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  42.3 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

That is a nice looking gun !

2nd hand suggestion...heading up to a Randy Cain Handgun 2 class circa 2008, I asked him which 1911 to buy.
    He suggested a Gunsite Colt. Bought the gun, fired 8 rounds, and drove North where it proceeded to win all 4 competitions that Randy ran in his class.
    15 years later they are still as good as it gets and priced fairly,
    https://www.gunsitestore.com/product...-gunsite-1911/

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'd love to run one of these for no particular reason other than because:colt but they seem to be non-existant in the real world
    https://www.colt.com/detail-page/gold-cup-trophy-45acp

Name:  920584.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  42.3 KB
    I have a line on a new Colt Competition in stainless and a Gold Cup National Match in blue. PM me if you want more information. It's a local dealer that is a friend of mine.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by p7fl View Post
    That is a nice looking gun !

2nd hand suggestion...heading up to a Randy Cain Handgun 2 class circa 2008, I asked him which 1911 to buy.
    He suggested a Gunsite Colt. Bought the gun, fired 8 rounds, and drove North where it proceeded to win all 4 competitions that Randy ran in his class.
    15 years later they are still as good as it gets and priced fairly,
    https://www.gunsitestore.com/product...-gunsite-1911/

These were on sale several months ago. I'm still kicking myself for not picking one up. I don't like short triggers but other than that it's just about perfect. I believe they are put together by the Colt custom shop. I still want one pretty bad.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I have a line on a new Colt Competition in stainless and a Gold Cup National Match in blue. PM me if you want more information. It's a local dealer that is a friend of mine.
    Thanks for that, but this is probably a Q1 2021 purchase, if at all. Between the holiday season and the range I’ve been shooting at killing off the afternoon squads, there’s little chance of me getting back to a match before then, if ever.

User Tag List