Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Impending barrel failure?

Looks like a typical BHP barrel to me. I've had several over the years. I just looked at two I have in the safe, both Browning/FN -- a 1968 and a mid '70s. Both have the same line in the same location. Most factory BHP barrels are two piece. I'd shoot it.

Thanks all, that’s what I get for a lack of knowledge of historical pistols. Glad to know it can remain in the land of the living.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    All I know is that I really like that vise!
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    I watched too many YouTube videos of vice restorations so I found a package deal on a couple old and battered ones, then started cleaning and painting. It turned out pretty well for my first effort.
    Wait, antique vice restoration is a thing?
    This was my grandfathers, still works great:
    Name:  Monarch 217.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  55.9 KB

While doing a routine wipe down of safe queens I noticed some rather odd looking marks on the barrel hood of my surplus FEG Hi-Power. The most concerning of which goes most of the way around the hood, right in line with the recoil lug:
    Attachment 61314Attachment 61315Attachment 61316
    I have no idea of its service history, but I got it about a year ago and put all new springs in it before firing. Since then I’ve put about 800-1000 through it, but now am wondering if it’s safe to shoot. What say the hive?
    The hive says you're good, the barrel's fine-it's perfectly normal. The hive also says you need new grips....

Best, Jon

No doubt new grips would have more purchase and would look nicer, but a part of me likes that the entire gun looks like it’s seen a lot honest wear. At this point it’s a “passion of the gun” item more than anything else, plus the occasional retro division 2 gun matches.

No doubt new grips would have more purchase and would look nicer, but a part of me likes that the entire gun looks like it’s seen a lot honest wear. At this point it’s a “passion of the gun” item more than anything else, plus the occasional retro division 2 gun matches.
    If you want, I'd be happy to send you the FN OEM black polymer grips that came with mine; they're brand new, unused and languishing in a box waiting for a new home if you'd like. The left grip is cut for a lanyard loop post. They're the old style flat grips, checkered, with a smooth trim surround.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    If you want, I'd be happy to send you the FN OEM black polymer grips that came with mine; they're brand new, unused and languishing in a box waiting for a new home if you'd like. The left grip is cut for a lanyard loop post. They're the old style flat grips, checkered, with a smooth trim surround.

Best, Jon
    That’s a very gracious gesture, I’ll take it to PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Wait, antique vice restoration is a thing?
    This was my grandfathers, still works great:
    Name:  Monarch 217.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  55.9 KB
    That’s a beaut and likely worth more than you expect. Please be careful of the jaw inserts, as the Monarchs seem to use non-standard style and would likely be difficult to replace.

That’s a beaut and likely worth more than you expect. Please be careful of the jaw inserts, as the Monarchs seem to use non-standard style and would likely be difficult to replace.
    Well dang, not quite like I feel quite like this guy:
    https://youtu.be/b9Y4bmbh1KY
    But glad to know I got something I should pay attention to. It is on a bench in the basement, so it really doesn't get too much harsh use, but in the future I will be a little nicer to it when grinding on something in it. This came from my grandfather that had an interesting blue color career at the USAF Aerospace Medical Research Lab at Wright Patt, and I have a bunch of his other machinist tools (lots of micrometers, etc.) that might also be old enough to be cool. Maybe I should be giving some thoughts to who should inherit them (we have no kids), because it is not something I could bring myself to sell but I dunno who would appreciate them.

Oh well, enough hijack.

That’s a very gracious gesture, I’ll take it to PMs.
    Here's an image of them:

Best, Jon

User Tag List