Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI - All-in-One Inkjet Printers

I like Brother printers -- pick one with Linux and Windows support, and that is maybe on the Android print from cloud list.

I'll agree with all the "get a laser printer" posts. It's cheaper in the long run, as it won't clog up like an inkjet.

ETA: Another late, but accurate, recommendation. LOL

Looks like the OP already made the (IMO correct) choice, but for anybody who finds this thread later on, IMO the only real reason to buy an inkjet anymore is if you regularly print photos. Lasers can't do those at the same quality level, but are otherwise superior in all respects. My wife and I have been using a Brother wi-fi capable B&W laser printer (no scanner for us, just printing) for quite a few years now, and have been 100% happy with it printing from an old Mac, a new Mac, a W10 PC, an iPhone, and an iPad. It plays nice with all of them, toner replacements are cheap and very infrequent, and when/if photo printing is "needed," she just sends the photos to Shutterfly.

I would not buy an all-in-one inkjet printer. They were a cool gimmick around 2005 to 2010 but today, no.

Laser printers are pretty cheap, the toner doesn't dry up the way inkjets that are unused can, and you can refill the toner very cheap for pennies on the dollar of a replacement cartridge.

Its 2020, no need to send a fax anymore, and most of us don't have POTS (plain old telephone service) anymore to take advantage. If you need to fax regularly, there's online services with monthly fees. If you need to send a very sporadic fax, like once every year or two, then take it to a Kinkos/UPS Store or your job or a friend's job that has a fax machine.

All of us have cell phones that can do occasional scans of paper, so the scanner function doesn't make sense. If you're scanning tons of documents you will want a dedicated paper scanner anyway and for occasional use, the cell phone is probably better than one of these all-in-one since easier to get the scan output.

Also these all-in-one can break since they are flimsy to support all of the moving pieces.

Go laser.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Its 2020, no need to send a fax anymore, and most of us don't have POTS (plain old telephone service) anymore to take advantage. If you need to fax regularly, there's online services with monthly fees. If you need to send a very sporadic fax, like once every year or two, then take it to a Kinkos/UPS Store or your job or a friend's job that has a fax machine.
    [tangent]
    I have this issue (no POTS) and need to send/receive the occasional fax. Usually for medical stuff but occasionally for work. Maybe 15 pages per year.
    I was using maxemail for years at about $25/year for 10 included pages per month (or something similar). They got bought by eFax and their min plan was like 5x price.
    I switched to https://www.srfax.com/plans/find-a-plan/ for $36/year. Does the job just fine.
    [/tangent]
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

In 2007 I bought a laser all in one printer. I just had to replace it. Buy a laser.
    #RESIST

I just can't justify buying a new laser printer at the moment, given current prices. I probably print less than ten pages a year. Lightning strike took out my trusty Brother laser printer, (a month or two back), which was working well with my ethernet connection up until then, for several years.

I'll bug one of my neighbors to print a document or two until prices come back down and I can find one that works reliably with my Chromebook, which is pretty much all I use anymore.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    We have a couple HP 7740's at my office. They work fine, including printing from phones, and we are not tech guys so this is a a pretty good stamp of approval. The big draw is that it prints 11x17 which I need for floor plans. The 8720, which I have in my home office, is pretty comparable but limited to 8.5x14. I don't think I've ever printed larger than 8.5x11 at home though.

I'd assume neither of those are the current models.

Too late to help the original poster, but for those looking in the future.....

Another laser over ink printers, unless photo's. (and how many people do that, verse just keeping/emailing them, now)
    I generally think a Black laser printer is the better value, for most. (you have to be the judge and someone please show me a laser printer that prints in black AND white, as I want to see that on colored paper)
    Not all laser printers are equal IMHE. I am out of the loop on many of them, as some when you buy the toner, the drum cartridge used to be incorporated into it, while others it was separate. Then you have print count/cartridge sizes. My second laser printer was bought after a power surge took out my first one. The first one I had for years and had just bought my second toner cartridge. My current printer, was bought via Costco, when the new models were close (deal around $99), and the toner cartridge that you will buy when your starter toner wears out, is good for 8000 pages, approx. (years of my use)
    You need to watch and learn their terms and that helps make the decision. I didn't need the MFC (multi function) line, and prefer a separate scanner in most cases. I stuck with the HL line and am looking at one for dragging work into the 20th century (no computers until the last year), while at the same time, just recently bought my first smart phone (drug into all that by a death).

Found a deal today on amazon for a refurbished / returned HP Laser Jet Pro M404n at about $118 off the current price for new.

Since I print very little and want to invest relatively little, it seems a good deal for me...it's laser and "IPP Everywhere", which means that Chromebook should recognize it via ethernet or USB without any fiddling, essentially plug'n'play. If it ain't, I've got 90 days to send it back to amazon.

I'll miss my old lightning destroyed Brother laser...but this isn't too painful for having to replace it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Rough equivalent to mine. I think you'll like it.

Mine's paired with one of these rather than an all in one, it is compact and does everything I need.

User Tag List