Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Red dot verses irons

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    Thank you for responding Wayne Dobbs. Just to be clear, I emailed back and forth because I thought I got a fake and was told it was legit, all was good as the PRO is not as bright as the T2. My PRO on setting 7 is barely visible in a room with lights on, setting 8 is better but 9 is best and 10 is where it pops in full sun. That is normal was the answer I got. I did buy it used.

I’ve had 2 ML3’s, an M2, an H1 and a T2 along with another PRO that I’m comparing to. It works just fine it’s just different. Time will tell on battery life, if I can get a year out of it on 8, I’ll be pleased. Again thank you for responding.
    Could this be a battery problem ? The PRO is a modernized M3 it should be just as bright as an M2 or M3. If a new battery doesn't help I would send it in.

USBP is running the PRO on duty rifles in the Southwest border which is certainly a bright envionment.

For reference, the reason "Aimpoint bright" is a thing is that during early GWOT actions in the mountains of Afghanistan, including the battle of Roberts Ridge, the Comp M (Original M68 CCO) had issues with the dot washing out under bright conditions. The fix was the Comp M2 (2nd Gen M68) which is essentially a brighter version of the Comp M while maintaining the 10k hour battery life.

I bought the sight used so there is no warranty and I was going to ship it on my dime and request an estimate on getting it looked at but they did not think it was necessary.

I did try a new battery, even tried a different brand so 3 batteries, Energizer and Duracell plus the original battery. The sight was made 2-18 and sat in a safe until I bought it supposedly. Like I said it works, it just seems to be missing a setting or one setting off. Now max brightness is plenty bright, almost unusable unless in bright sunlight.

It replaced an EOTech because I wanted it to be on all the time for my HD gun and have plenty of battery life. So now that I leave it on setting 8 instead of 7, it's still always on but I wonder about battery life. Time will tell.

I do not want to turn this into an Aimpoint rant, I like them and will use them, in fact I sold an RMR to get an ACRO but will wait until they get battery life fixed there. If battery life suffers on this PRO, I will replace it with a T2 more than likely. But I am not the only one whose noticed this issue either.

Love aimpoint but a major issue with the PRO is that it doesn't have as many brightness settings, they wash out for me in bright sun not the same with others. Also the battery is expensive and harder to find than the other models, people buy it on the initial price point. The T/H series and M series (4 and 5) are way better than the pro and worth the higher initial cost for usability, battery type/life, etc.

Also red dot vs irons, if you don't know how to use something and compare it to something you know how to use of course what you know will seem better. Once you learn how to properly use the other it will show that is superior to the other.

Site Supporter
    The Aimpoint ACO on a rifle has been on about 7 or 8 since about April. I checked the CR1/3N cell today, expecting it to be at least half drained. My ZTS tester said 100% power. I do appreciate the battery life of Aimpoint.

Site Supporter
    As an aside - I've been dry firing all my pistol RDS with blue tape over the lens for the last couple months, but last night was the first time shooting a match with it taped over as well.

Compared to the best PCC shooter, I've been sitting at 50% of their score for the last month (twice a month matches), with 60% being my common score when I dry fire a lot, all the gear being equal.

Last night I was just a hair under 80%, simply by shooting the match with my lens taped over.

I have astigmatism, am near sighted, right handed, and left eye dominant. During the match it was easy to find the perfs. on the targets at 20 yards. I finally saw the 'streak' of the dot vs. the dot being 'there' for 3 yard targets, and for the 20-25 yard targets it was easy to do a makeup on a headshot. The one shot I threw bad was in a string of 6 on one target, and I vividly recall going from seeing the target to seeing blue - and I sent the round anyway. That moment of target to reticle focus got me third place instead of second, and it was the 4th shot out of 6. My points down was reduced by 10%, which tells me that my accuracy went sky high without sacrificing time.

I'm telling you, drop the iron sights, tape your red dot, and put some live rounds down range after playing with it for a week in dry fire. You will be more accurate, and faster.

User Tag List