Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WMD Bolt Carrier Group - RFI

WMD Bolt Carrier Group - RFI

I have a WMD BCG that I purchased at least 10 years ago. I bought it, test fired a few rounds with it, and put it in the safe.

I've recently acquired a new BCM upper that I plan to use for training, and (hopefully never) as a home defense setup.

I'm considering using the WMD BCM in the new upper, but I'm not sure if they're considered good to go.
    The WMD has a NiB-X coating, which I don't care about. I'm not a high round count guy, but I'd like to have a BCM that is reliable and durable.

Anyone here have experience with WMD? Should I just buy a BCM BCG and call it good?

Who knows? Put a 1000's rounds through it and then let us know. Anyone can say yes it's fine, trust your life to it. ONLY you can test it and see for yourself. So, if all you are wanting is an elementary pat on the head to say everything is OK. You got it!!! I would certainly trust your life on it!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlp View Post
    Who knows? Put a 1000's rounds through it and then let us know. Anyone can say yes it's fine, trust your life to it. ONLY you can test it and see for yourself. So, if all you are wanting is an elementary pat on the head to say everything is OK. You got it!!! I would certainly trust your life on it!
    While I get your sentiment, I don't think that was the information Mark D was seeking.

Do you have any experience with the product being asked about?

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    While I get your sentiment, I don't think that was the information Mark D was seeking.

Do you have any experience with the product being asked about?
    I do I have several of them. They are fine. But I have also had a 3k Wilson Combat have to go back, after 8 rounds, and think I got to the heart of the question, that only the OP can truly answer. They are about an hour or so from my house.
    Last edited by jlp; 10-04-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlp View Post
    Look dude, I'm not seeking a pat on the head. I'm also not looking for confirmation that my individual sample is dependable. Everybody here understands that a piece of gear needs to be tested, regardless of the manufacturer's reputation.

What I'm looking for, is feedback from forum members have used WMD bolt carriers groups. Because this is, after all, a technical hardware sub-forum.

Your second post indicates that you have some experience with them. So why not say that in the beginning? Instead your first post was a pile of condescending snark. Not helpful, and generally speaking, not in line with P-F culture.

Hopefully this thread can refocus on the merits, or lack thereof, of WMD BCGs.

Double tap. Deleted.

I'd never heard of WMD guns prior to this thread. The fact that they're offering a complete 16" AR including fancy nickel boron coatings for < $900 and claiming it meets fairly excellent accuracy standards makes me wonder what the catch is. Is this a case of the fast/cheap/reliable (pick any 2) race car adage, or are they actually a worthwhile option?

Site Supporter
    As I've gotten older and I'm more aware of how valuable my time is, I have less and less patience for problems in things that matter. That's a main reason I grabbed a complete BCM carbine - factory finished/support/qc+qa from a quality manufacturer without paying for a bunch of frills.

I'd approach your situation in the same lineup, and grab a factory complete BCM bolt carrier group.

I leave the part swapping/fitting/etc stuff for hobby stuff these days, as that's a totally different context for me than something that damn well better work when I need it to.

At the end of the day, a BCM BCG retails for $189 direct on their website.
    Is that dollar amount saved worth the unknown of WMD 'heart and soul' in your BCM?
    Or is that dollar amount worth having a system that was essentially designed from the initial testing through final production to play nice together?

Also - a company that puts this on their website as a cutting edge, new product design doesn't give me the warm fuzzies for their understanding of what makes things work and what doesn't.
    https://www.wmdguns.com/media/SlingS...atures-web.pdf
    Last edited by jeep45238; 10-04-2020 at 11:11 PM.

*sample size of 1* I have 2k (documented) rounds through my Seekins home build with the WMD BCG. For the same price you could probably go with a more well known company, but I have had no issues with the BCG at all, and have noticed no problems with the finish. I don't regret the purchase at all.
    “It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.”

― Gaius Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Look dude, I'm not seeking a pat on the head. I'm also not looking for confirmation that my individual sample is dependable. Everybody here understands that a piece of gear needs to be tested, regardless of the manufacturer's reputation.

What I'm looking for, is feedback from forum members have used WMD bolt carriers groups. Because this is, after all, a technical hardware sub-forum.

Your second post indicates that you have some experience with them. So why not say that in the beginning? Instead your first post was a pile of condescending snark. Not helpful, and generally speaking, not in line with P-F culture.

Hopefully this thread can refocus on the merits, or lack thereof, of WMD BCGs.
    My apologies, I had a pretty bad toothache yesterday and took out on the question. Yes, they are good to go, they are located about an hour or so from me and I have one in my, go to, AR.

User Tag List