Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does Glock sight their pistols ?

Banned

Where does Glock sight their pistols ?

This I find kind of interesting because I have looked all over the place for it and could never find it in any kind of Glock information or manuals even those it seems quite fundamental to me.

I was actually look for replacement sights and used google to search "Glock replacement front sights"

This popped up several items down under "People also ask"....

"Are all Glock front sights the same

ALL models use the same 4.2mm fixed front sight. Glock sights their pistols nominally for 25 meter POI. OEM rear sight elevations of 6.1mm, 6.5mm, 6.9mm, and 7.3mm are available.. An old generic Glock thumb rule states that each increment taller raises the POI 50mm (2 inches) at 25 meters (27 yards)."

So, I guess you should expect new Glocks with factory settings to have a POI below the POA by as much as an inch and a half at 7 yards, with a .22 caliber Glock 44.

Now I have no information as to where this nominal 25 yard sighting comes from, but it's the first place I have ever seen that even gives a hint as to where guns are sighted

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HJB View Post
    This I find kind of interesting because I have looked all over the place for it and could never find it in any kind of Glock information or manuals even those it seems quite fundamental to me.

I was actually look for replacement sights and used google to search "Glock replacement front sights"

This popped up several items down under "People also ask"....

"Are all Glock front sights the same

ALL models use the same 4.2mm fixed front sight. Glock sights their pistols nominally for 25 meter POI. OEM rear sight elevations of 6.1mm, 6.5mm, 6.9mm, and 7.3mm are available.. An old generic Glock thumb rule states that each increment taller raises the POI 50mm (2 inches) at 25 meters (27 yards)."

So, I guess you should expect new Glocks with factory settings to have a POI below the POA by as much as an inch and a half at 7 yards, with a .22 caliber Glock 44.

Now I have no information as to where this nominal 25 yard sighting comes from, but it's the first place I have ever seen that even gives a hint as to where guns are sighted
    Looking again at the .22 caliber trajectory curves, you might only be 1/2 inch below POA at 7 yards, not inch and a half. (read the curve wrong).

Unless there is a zero target w bullet holes in it in the box that tells me where it’s zeroed, I don’t have faith that a new pistol has been zeroed (or even test fired) at the factory. Those good old days are long gone.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    At least some sellers of the OEM plastic sights list the models for which each sight was intended.

Most fixed semiauto sights seem to be engineered to hit approximately at the top of the front sight at 25 yards. However, some are designed for a “drive the dot” sight picture in which the dot on the front sight covers the point of impact.

If I am getting a big deviation in elevation, the problem has often been my own shooter error. Trying to correct that issue with a different height sight rather than addressing the shooting fundamentals resulted in less consistency than fixing the shooting errors.

In most cases, I have found that centering the rear sight (and front sight if dovetail mounted) in the slide results in proper windage adjustment. Unless the gun is of sub-par quality, deviations in windage have been caused more often by my own shooting errors, and trying to correct the situation with a sight adjustment rather than correcting the error led to less consistent shooting.

As I learned here, revolvers are different. The recoil impulse of a semiauto is felt at the rearmost point of slide travel, well after the bullet has left the barrel. The recoil of a revolver is felt as soon as the bullet starts moving. So, recoil and recoil control will affect point of impact. Perhaps for this reason as well as others, revolver fixed sights have been far less likely in my experience to shoot to point of aim, with elevation differences being more common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by HJB View Post
    Where does Glock sight their pistols ?
    A little bit to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Unless there is a zero target w bullet holes in it in the box that tells me where it’s zeroed, I don’t have faith that a new pistol has been zeroed (or even test fired) at the factory. Those good old days are long gone.
    My understanding is that Glock test fires each pistol, and uses a computerized system to track that and verify accuracy and zero.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Every pistol is test fired at 25m and receives the sights that will best zero it.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    At least some sellers of the OEM plastic sights list the models for which each sight was intended.

Most fixed semiauto sights seem to be engineered to hit approximately at the top of the front sight at 25 yards. However, some are designed for a “drive the dot” sight picture in which the dot on the front sight covers the point of impact.

If I am getting a big deviation in elevation, the problem has often been my own shooter error. Trying to correct that issue with a different height sight rather than addressing the shooting fundamentals resulted in less consistency than fixing the shooting errors.

In most cases, I have found that centering the rear sight (and front sight if dovetail mounted) in the slide results in proper windage adjustment. Unless the gun is of sub-par quality, deviations in windage have been caused more often by my own shooting errors, and trying to correct the situation with a sight adjustment rather than correcting the error led to less consistent shooting.

As I learned here, revolvers are different. The recoil impulse of a semiauto is felt at the rearmost point of slide travel, well after the bullet has left the barrel. The recoil of a revolver is felt as soon as the bullet starts moving. So, recoil and recoil control will affect point of impact. Perhaps for this reason as well as others, revolver fixed sights have been far less likely in my experience to shoot to point of aim, with elevation differences being more common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What I have a problem understanding is why that "sight zero" information is not provided in the owner's manual or at least on the website. I can not find anywhere that Glock states what the correct information is.

Isn't it important to know whether your gun is set to shoot "top of the front sight" or "drive the zero" ? Sure seems like it to me. I would never try to confirm or check that with a free standing shoot. I always use a rest of to even attempt to verify or adjust sights.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My understanding is that Glock test fires each pistol, and uses a computerized system to track that and verify accuracy and zero.
    Where do you obtain this "understanding" from ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Every pistol is test fired at 25m and receives the sights that will best zero it.
    Again....where do you get this information ?

And are you saying that various guns will receive different height front or rear sights ?

User Tag List