Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Where does Glock sight their pistols ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HJB View Post
    So do the plastic sights need to be replaced immediately because they are a) not accurate, b) fragile and easily damaged, or c) some other reason ?

I have ameriglo sights on my Glock 19 but I really can't see the need for that on a Glock 44. But I might change the front sight to a taller sight to allow me to zero at 15 or 25 yards yards where POA = POI. Because these days, that is about the most important thing I really have to do right now.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    I used the plastic sights for the first 2 years I carried my Glock 26, shooting 5,000-10,000 rounds/year at that time (prior to marriage and kids). I had no issues, but later replaced them with tritium sights.

On the 44, I strongly discourage a metal sight. Most metal sights are made of softer metal than the (almost always steel) slide in order to compress slightly to form a compression fit in the dovetail. However, the 44 has a plastic dovetail. So, when a metal slide is placed in the plastic dovetail, it is the slide, not the sight, that may be deformed or perhaps even damaged. Using the plastic sights prevents this possibility of damaging your slide.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I used the plastic sights for the first 2 years I carried my Glock 26, shooting 5,000-10,000 rounds/year at that time (prior to marriage and kids). I had no issues, but later replaced them with tritium sights.

On the 44, I strongly discourage a metal sight. Most metal sights are made of softer metal than the (almost always steel) slide in order to compress slightly to form a compression fit in the dovetail. However, the 44 has a plastic dovetail. So, when a metal slide is placed in the plastic dovetail, it is the slide, not the sight, that may be deformed or perhaps even damaged. Using the plastic sights prevents this possibility of damaging your slide.
    Yes, I have no intention of replacing the rear sight anyway but would not do so with metal sights for all the reasons you mention. But, the plastic front sights that I find are only in the same height as the one in my gun. I might consider replacing the front sight with metal if I can only find a taller sight in metal. I don't think that should be a problem.

Thanks for your comments.

I have owned 3 digits of handguns over 25 years. I have owned a LOT of guns. I have had sight issues with less than a handful out of all of them.

Many times it is not the gun but the shooter.

Banned
    OK I have now gotten my Glock 44 sighted where I am happy with it. Part of the problem I was having was that with the Glock sights, I was having difficulty getting the sights aimed at where I really wanted them. Because the background where I shoot is dark, I was aligning the top of the dot on the front sight with the top of the sight on the rear sight. This was causing my aim to be high and that is probably some if not all of the shooting high issues I was having at 15 yards.

So, I painted a stripe across the top of the front and rear sights and use those to properly get my sight picture. Brought down my shots consistently and I'm fine with where they are. I had actually adjusted the rear sight to the lowest point to bring shots down and now with this new marking on my sights, I had to adjust the rear back up one notch.

Rear sight stayed adjusted to compensate for shooting left.

I have attached pictures of my target at 15 yards and one that tries to show the modifications I made to the front and rear sights.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Name:  IMG_1388.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  31.8 KBName:  IMG_1387.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  29.5 KB

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HJB View Post
    I would not have as big a problem with that if such information was published and well publicized by the manufacturer. But nowhere does Glock ever give any indication that factory sights are "place holders" for the real thing. They give every indication that they are totally useable and reliable sights.
    "Useable" and "reliable" are subjective evaluations.

Every Glock I've purchased, including my two Gen5 guns, have come from the box with sights I could use to make a hit out to 50 yards with 115 grain and 124 grain Federal FMJ ammo.

The sight picture was terrible and not to my preference, and the sights can be easily ripped off the gun if one was to, say, rack the slide off of your holster...but they allowed sighting the gun. And they did so as cheaply as possible. That's how Gaston Glock became a billionaire.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List