Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ??Missing Serial # from Glock??

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I didn’t say I was smart lol.

But my stuff is short and quiet.
    Heh, grass is always greener and all that - I'm kind of jealous. If I was better-funded, I'd probably have a bigger safe and a few stamps myself.

Well,.. to make matters even MORE ridiculous, redundancy wise,..?

Im a truck driver with a class A CDL & a hazmat permit. I'm licensed to drive a truckload of explosives and chemicals on to a runway at an airport facility. I've been fingerprinted and background checked by the FAA,.. LLE,.. FBI,.. TSA,.. HS,.. ( Customs too for a FAST Card) the WHOLE Alphabet Soup! And I have to cough up $100 EVERY two years to do it all over again!!

Still had to wait an hour on the background checks for both pistols purchased about 2 weeks apart.

(...and now they make us retake the Hazmat tests every four years.) aaarrrrrgh! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Copy that.

Apologies for sounding crass.

As others mentioned - I understand “gun” isn’t a driving factor for most folks geographically.

This isn’t as much a gun issue as it is a liberal shitbag government issue - of which I have no interest in existing alongside
    I don’t want to open a can of worms but here we go anyhow.... If the current SCOTUS nominee is confirmed there is a damn good chance that the 2A will be fully supported and these liberal shitbag gov issues will fall.

I can’t recall ever submitting warranty claim cards on any of my new firearm purchases, have sent a few back for warranty work, (Glock included), never have been asked about it, and it’s never been a problem. I’d still call out of curiosity.
    Last edited by medmo; 10-04-2020 at 10:25 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    CA, NY, MA come to mind immediately in terms of gun registration but others like Mi and NC require handgun registration. NC actually requires obtaining a permit first instead of registering afterwards.
    We in NC do have a ridiculous handgun purchase permitting scheme, but that is easily circumvented by having a concealed handgun permit. The concealed handgun permit acts in lieu of a purchase permit.

There is no actual handgun registration in NC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    We in NC do have a ridiculous handgun purchase permitting scheme, but that is easily circumvented by having a concealed handgun permit. The concealed handgun permit acts in lieu of a purchase permit.

There is no actual handgun registration in NC.

What happens to the purchase permits once non CHP holders buy a handgun ? does it stay with the dealer ?

Site Supporter
    What happens to the purchase permits once non CHP holders buy a handgun ? does it stay with the dealer ?
    The purchase permit gets stapled to the 4473 and indeed stays with the dealer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    The purchase permit gets stapled to the 4473 and indeed stays with the dealer.

let me guess, this scheme was originally set up to make sure certain shades of people would not get a permit back in the day. ....

Site Supporter
    let me guess, this scheme was originally set up to make sure certain shades of people would not get a permit back in the day. ....
    Sure seems that way:

https://reason.com/2005/02/15/the-klans-favorite-law/

I live in S. E. Michigan, have lived here all my 54+ years except for my 4 years of college and have bought many pistols including several this year and have never had to show a sales receipt to register a pistol that I can recall. I have had to have a NICS check done & had to drop off the 4"x5" card, but not show up to the local cop shop with a sales receipt. Years ago you had to bring the pistol in for a 'safety check' which consisted of a serial number check, but that is long gone. Not sure what the OP is talking about.

In free America, holders of concealed carry licenses are usually are exempt NICS checks because they are rechecked during the renewal process and the licensing authority is normally notified of arrests /wants / PO automatically. I can’t imagine NY is any different.

The fact that a subject holds a carry license normally comes up automatically in criminal justice systems checks as well.

That still doesn’t address the arbitrary and capricious discretionary NYS licensing scheme. Not the fact that in an age of live scan fingerprinting and digital records there is no reason licenses should take a year to issue.
    NYS FAQ For Fun and Education:

--My permit didn't have renewal until the SAFE Act, and then it's a 5-year tell-us-what-you-own.

--The degree of hassle involved with buying a new gun varies from county to county. In mine, I have to buy the gun (or put down a deposit, whatever the dealer wants), send in the receipt to the sheriffs office with $3, and wait till it gets rubber stamped by the judge's clerk...oh, I'm sorry, I meant to say "wait until the judge reviews and signs my permit amendment". Then I go pick up my gun. Other counties literally hand out blank amendment coupons.

--Some counties hand out "unrestricted" permits like candy, others don't even have such things, and others make you take a class. Yes, the classes are dumb. Yes, the people in them will cause you to lose faith in unrestricted firearms ownership.

--Wait times on permits vary. Sometimes there are only a couple instructors who are connected politically and approved to teach whatever "course" the county requires. Sometimes pistol permitting is handled by the records division of your county sheriff and pistol permits are just mixed in with all the other stuff they have to do. Generally, my strategy was to go in person, and be polite. Instead of waiting six months to get fingerprinted, I got an appointment the next day. Instead of waiting eight months to get into the Approved Annointed One's NRA Basic Pistol Class, I got a spot in two weeks. Other people did everything through the mail and called in once a week to complain rudely on the phone--they waited a year. Fair? No, that's not how government is supposed to work, but hey--asshole tax.

--Periodically, my sheriff sends me a little sheet asking me to check to make sure I didn't lose any handguns. This is how I know I'm cool, you have to have a shitload of guns to get on this mailing list.

--Apparently some sheriffs outsourced the digital fingerprinting? I have no idea how much it costs to run one of the huge fingerprint scanners they use. Ironically, at my various job-related outsourced background checks, the private places are using laptops and ten-year-old desktops. But the security requirements for LEO data stuff are byzantine in this state, one of the many reasons why most towns either buy policing from their sheriffs or just don't have their own dedicated cops.

--The NYS CJ information portal is a productivity-sucking vortex of bizarre interface choices and 30-second response delays. I'd guess that it wastes 50% of the man-hours spent on it.

User Tag List