Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd question: what techniques have been used to reduce recoil in handguns?

Odd question: what techniques have been used to reduce recoil in handguns?

Hey guys,

I was thinking about what tricks have been used to reduce recoil (felt or otherwise) in pistol. Help me out if you can think of anything else...

1. Weight (duh)
    2. Reducing "bore axis"
    3. Compensators
    4. The H&K USP full size recoil gizmo.
    5. The Haarts Recoil gizmo (did this work?)

Are there any other gizmos or techniques that have been used?

Is any action better at reducing recoil than another (say falling lock versus Browning)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post

Is any action better at reducing recoil than another (say falling lock versus Browning)
    There has been a lot of discussion in the various PX4 threads that the rotating action redirects forces in a way that makes the guns feel less recoilly and shoot flatter.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

The FK has one. Directly under the barrel. Looks like it works, too.

However, by far the most common is going to a smaller caliber/heavier weapon. Look at the proliferation of the .380/9mm today. Certainly not the only driving factor in choosing one, but it's there.

Cat

I recall the Beretta... Cougar I think? Rotating barrel made the recoil feel less snappy but kind of mushy. Like the same force but over a longer time interval.

A roommate bought one as his first gun back in the 90s because he was scared of recoil. I hated the goddamn thing.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Lower bore axis and compensators don't reallly reduce recoil, just muzzle flip.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thanks for a Sunday morning thought exercise! How to reduce recoil.....

A comp isn’t going to reduce recoil unless ports are angled aft of 90 degrees, which creates new problems.

Adding mass reduces acceleration F=MA

To reduce felt recoil, you need to stretch the recoil impulse over more time, and the only thing you have to trade is distance. That’s why a pistol optimized for a particular load uses every millimeter of available slide travel.

You can imagine a Mauser-style pistol that did not have the magazine in the grip, and with the grip on a telescoping slide. You’d spread the impulse over a longer time by spreading it over a longer distance.

Soft compressible grips that cover the backstrap do essentially the same thing on a very small scale.

It’d be interesting to build a pistol the size of a G34 with a G26-length barrel, and use the extra room for more slide travel.

Custom grips can distribute the force more evenly over a larger area, reducing the pressure felt on the hand.

The shape of the classic single-action grip is said to reduce felt recoil by allowing muzzle flip.

Do you have a particular type of pistol in mind? Are you wanting to reduce the push back or the muzzle flip.

Look at what IPSC/USPSA shooters have been doing.

I've messed around with recoil spring weight to get a different feel.

Is the Harts system the liquid-filled guide rod? If so I had one years ago in an old P220. I remember feeling some benefit when the pistol was gripped very tightly but I never ran it on a timer to compare splits.

Site Supporter
    Ammo selection can reduce recoil quite a bit. In my experience a 147 grain 9mm has a lower recoil impulse then a 115 grain bullet.

But with 45 a 200 grain round seems to have lower recoil then a 230 grain round.

I reload my own practice ammo so I’m sure that’s part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    What about the Steyr GB or H&K P7? Gas systems.
    --Jason--

User Tag List