Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: slip 2000 EWL

I use Slip2000 EWL in my AR's. I got a big bottle of the stuff a few years ago and have been happy with it. I like that I can absolutely drench the bolt with little concern about getting sprayed in the face since it's non-toxic. Big plus when shooting suppressed. Never found a reason to switch. Probably buy another big bottle when I run out. Pat Rogers was a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    SLIP2000 EWL is my go-to lube, with the exceptiion of a little 5% moly grease on sears.

500 rounds in a Glock? Grin. I could go 500 rounds in a Glock with 3-in-1, mineral oil or Vagisil, maybe even dry.

Not to be a total smart ass, but 300 to more liekly 500 sounds sounds like a typical Saturday live fire training for me with a CZ P-07/-09, Glock 19, or Tanfo Stock 2 and I’m way too lazy to re-lube every time I go out.
    I suspect that as long as one uses a lubricant formulated with a good base stock (esp. a Group IV or V base stock) and a decent additive package, brand does not matter. I've been using BreakFree LP (a little higher viscosity since it is without the 'C') for years and the guts of my guns show negligible wear.

Of course, the mental picture of someone applying a liberal coating of Vagisil to a pistol during a range session is pretty hilarious. Not that I would put it past some folks....
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 03-01-2019 at 11:18 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I used clp for years as that’s how I was first taught. In the last couple weeks I decided to try the ewl, the grease for rails and part of the mechanism of my px4 and the locking block on my 92, the degreaser, and the bore cleaner. I’m impressed so far though I don’t do 500 round range sessions often - stuff just seems to come clean more easily, and the reduced chemical smell is a nice bonus. I’ll probably stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I use SimpleGreen aircraft cleaner, and if it’s really carbon caked, brake cleaner/Gunscrubber.

I don’t love Slip2000. It’s too thin. I prefer Weaponshield and Lucas extreme oil. Lucas marine grease is good for high wear areas. Eg. I have 30,000 rounds on a CZ slide stop on a practice gun. I want to see how long it will go.
    Yo probably know this, but they have different weights of Slip.

For me, the thinner OG Slip was for getting into places without necessarily taking them al apart. The thicker stuff was what I applied when detail stripped. At least on pistols.

On the AR I just hosed down the whole BCg with OG Slip and never had an issue.

Site Supporter
    Cluster, others. All of you mention SLIP2000. I'm told (keep in mind I'm still relatively new to this) that the EWL30 is thicker. IOW, have you guys tried the EWL30?

And...Guano - I didn't take your post as being a smart ass - -I'm just jealous.

I primarily use the EWL, but have used the standard 2000 to good effect as well.

(Honestly, I think I'm probably just as well served with Super Lube synthetic, G96, or even the old standby, Break Free.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I keep both the original Slip 2000 and the EWL version on the bench. The EWL has been my solution to ARs in vertical gun locks baking in the Mississippi summer. Everything else that isn’t grease, runs into the receiver extension and you end up with a dry BCG.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Actually I didn't know that--thanks. I've ignored anything Slip2000, but may have to try EWL and the grease.

I used canned air to get oil into sear cages, BCGs, etc. I don't like thin oil that gets all over the place, and my experience with Slip2000 is that it does reduce friction (for a while) and washes away contaminants, but is not a good wear-reducing lube.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Yo probably know this, but they have different weights of Slip.

For me, the thinner OG Slip was for getting into places without necessarily taking them al apart. The thicker stuff was what I applied when detail stripped. At least on pistols.

On the AR I just hosed down the whole BCg with OG Slip and never had an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Cluster, others. All of you mention SLIP2000. I'm told (keep in mind I'm still relatively new to this) that the EWL30 is thicker. IOW, have you guys tried the EWL30?

And...Guano - I didn't take your post as being a smart ass - -I'm just jealous.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Break Free is my least favorite lube. I have had terrible experience with it both in guns and when racing mountain XC bikes. For me, BF significantly reduced the life of bike chains and cogs. Plus I hate the way it smells.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I primarily use the EWL, but have used the standard 2000 to good effect as well.

(Honestly, I think I'm probably just as well served with Super Lube synthetic, G96, or even the old standby, Break Free.)
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

After a fling with FrogLube, I just went with Slip2000 products. Both Uncle Pat and Sully were fans, so I just quit looking any further. I almost exclusively use the 30 weight over the thinner stuff, and couple that with the grease syringe where that is indicated. I'm not interested in chasing the next greatest thing anymore.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 03-02-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List