Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How well do H&K P30 10 Round Mags Work?

I also noticed some erratic ejection. Most of the time it was fine, but occasionally it'd toss brass on top of my head.

Go with the Glock until you get the p30 sorted out and get some magazines that give you the warm and fuzzies. Ammo is available, it's just expensive.

I have a P30 SK that uses the abbreviated 10 rd mags. So far no issues with several hundred rounds. That isn't exactly a run it until it pukes test but I trust it as SD carry.
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-04-2020 at 08:45 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Anyone got any ideas of what might've caused the stoppage? I'm not necessarily convinced it was the magazine's fault, it's just a theory I proposed. What else would cause a malfunction like that, and how can I determine whether there is something wrong with the pistol or not?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Anyone got any ideas of what might've caused the stoppage? I'm not necessarily convinced it was the magazine's fault, it's just a theory I proposed. What else would cause a malfunction like that, and how can I determine whether there is something wrong with the pistol or not?
    Not sure, but keep a log with fails vs round count.
    1/350 = 0.28% chance of failure.
    1/500 = 0.20%
    1/750 = 0.13%
    1/2000 = 0.05% failure.

from 350 to 2000 rounds with 1 malf, that's an 82% reduction. That's a lot, I get it - but it's also an extremely high chance of success as well. If you make it to 750 rounds with no extra problems, that's a 52% reduction in potential problems based on the math.

Nothing in this world is perfect. In 4k rounds, I've had 1 stoppage from an aftermarket mag on my VP9 - a known problem magazine. I've had issues in the past when vetting a reload recipe after changing bullet makers, but the same bullet weight (slightly different profile). I've also had guns that were never finish reamed from the factory, and a host of other things.

But the HK and Beretta 92's have always offered me the least headaches and the most reliability.

Keep your testing, and put some hard numbers on your experience. Let the data speak over your feelings, because feelings are lying bastards in hard sciences.

Continue testing, and don't switch your dedicated stuff over until the data makes sense for your criteria and context.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    But the HK and Beretta 92's have always offered me the least headaches and the most reliability.

Keep your testing, and put some hard numbers on your experience. Let the data speak over your feelings, because feelings are lying bastards in hard sciences.

Continue testing, and don't switch your dedicated stuff over until the data makes sense for your criteria and context.
    I keep a round count/failures log on all my firearms. I think if I could get another 2000 rounds through the pistol using good ammo without any malfunctions I'd be fine with it. But in this day and age 2,000 rounds of 9mm is $1k or more from what I'm seeing, and I wouldn't be able to live with myself getting that gouged on ammo when in February it was $200/1000rds of Speer Lawman 124gr shipped to me door.

You know I was actually deciding between the P30 and an Italian made Beretta 92A1. I've shot about 500 rounds through a friend's 92 and I remember really liking it. Maybe I should've gone with the 92.

Site Supporter
    I keep a round count/failures log on all my firearms. I think if I could get another 2000 rounds through the pistol using good ammo without any malfunctions I'd be fine with it. But in this day and age 2,000 rounds of 9mm is $1k or more from what I'm seeing, and I wouldn't be able to live with myself getting that gouged on ammo when in February it was $200/1000rds of Speer Lawman 124gr shipped to me door.

You know I was actually deciding between the P30 and an Italian made Beretta 92A1. I've shot about 500 rounds through a friend's 92 and I remember really liking it. Maybe I should've gone with the 92.
    I hear your concern. But do the math, and look that those numbers. If you don't want to, I did the math above for you. If you get to 750 rounds with no additional failures, assuming same pistol/magazines/ammo, you've literally cut your probability of a failure by more than 50%.

0.13% failure if you get to 750 rounds without another failure. Tossing something because of a failure while simultaneously being unable to highlight exactly what caused the failure is a fruitless effort. Was it the ammo? Possibly. Magazine? Possibly. Gun? Possibly. Shooter? Possibly. Full moon? Possibly.

My point is that tossing something to the curb with almost one tenth of one percent problems associated with it requires analysis of what the actual goal is. Perfection doesn't exist. You also don't have the monetary funds to validate a system as statistically uber-reliable (only big .gov does at the end of the day).

All I'm saying is put a % failure rate that is acceptable for you during the vetting process that is above 0%. If the firearm reaches that threshold, then it has met your standard and you do you boo.

I live in Connecticut, I’ve only ever had 10 round mags for my P30L. I’ve had the gun for 6 years, and while I don’t have an exact round count, I’ve never had a single malfunction. Even though it’s not my every day carry, I love it.

In IPSC/USPSA I've put 30,000+ rounds through HK's P30 10 rounders, mostly in a P30L. The only problem I've had has been due to the back zipper weld cracking after extended use and multiple drops on concrete (competition use). Once the spine cracked (starting at the top by feed lips) I would start to experience malfunctions, generally failures to feed, not extract.

So I just got back from the range. I loved the way the P30 shot. I forgot my shot timer but I was definitely faster than with the HK45c. However, I was more accurate with the HK45c even at speed.

I really enjoyed the way the P30 shot, but out of about 400 rounds I did have a stoppage at about the 350 mark using Winchester 9mm NATO ammo. The spent casing was caught in the ejection port at about a 45 degree angle. It attempted to feed the next round, leading to a sticky magazine. Attachment 61296Attachment 61296

The photo is after I removed the magazine but before I cleared the stoppage. Also of note was that the stoppage happened when it attempted to feed the first round of the magazine (I had +1 in the chamber) using the ban compliant 10 round mag. Could this have been caused by too much pressure from the fully loaded 10 round magazine?

I’m rather bummed because I typically want to see at least 1,000 failure free shots and preferably 2,000 before I’ll trust a firearm for carry. With my limited supply of 9mm and the utter lack of availability for it, starting from square one again is a tall order, especially when I already have a well-proven 9mm in the G19.

Any insight/advice would be appreciated.
    If it is a new P30, it takes some time before it is broken in. I had a P30 that had feeding and ejection issues for the first 500 rounds.

User Tag List