Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How well do H&K P30 10 Round Mags Work?

How well do H&K P30 10 Round Mags Work?

In lieu of my first thread, I've decided to give the P30 a try since I tend to do well with the HK45c. This may precipitate a switch to 9mm once the ammo shortage is over. I do have a couple of thousand rounds of 9mm, but not nearly enough to work up the experience I have with the HK45c. At most I'll be able to get a good feel for the P30.

I'd been considering a P30 since it was suggested to me when I was debating between continuing to carry my HK45c or switch to my G19, but what finally got me to go through with buying one was the fact that there was a brand new one in the gun shop that cost me $525 out the door. Only catch was (and this was why the gun shop had it so discounted), it came with two 10 round ban-compliant magazines. I'm going to have to order some standard capacity magazines, but I was hoping to go shoot it tomorrow. However, thanks to @DocGKR I'm aware of how unreliable 10 round Glock 17/19 ban compliant mags are. Are the P30 10 rounders subject to the same unreliability? I don't want to experience malfunctions on a brand new pistol I'm trying to build confidence in just because of crappy ban compliant mags.

It's a beautiful pistol and feels extremely nice in my hand. I know how it feels and how it shoots can be different, but I have high hopes. This is the Variant 3 (I think?) where it's DA/SA with only the decocker button on the back of the slide.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    In lieu of my first thread, I've decided to give the P30 a try since I tend to do well with the HK45c. This may precipitate a switch to 9mm once the ammo shortage is over. I do have a couple of thousand rounds of 9mm, but not nearly enough to work up the experience I have with the HK45c. At most I'll be able to get a good feel for the P30.

I'd been considering a P30 since it was suggested to me when I was debating between continuing to carry my HK45c or switch to my G19, but what finally got me to go through with buying one was the fact that there was a brand new one in the gun shop that cost me $525 out the door. Only catch was (and this was why the gun shop had it so discounted), it came with two 10 round ban-compliant magazines. I'm going to have to order some standard capacity magazines, but I was hoping to go shoot it tomorrow. However, thanks to @DocGKR I'm aware of how unreliable 10 round Glock 17/19 ban compliant mags are. Are the P30 10 rounders subject to the same unreliability? I don't want to experience malfunctions on a brand new pistol I'm trying to build confidence in just because of crappy ban compliant mags.

It's a beautiful pistol and feels extremely nice in my hand. I know how it feels and how it shoots can be different, but I have high hopes. This is the Variant 3 (I think?) where it's DA/SA with only the decocker button on the back of the slide.
    10 round HK pistol mags work fine, as do many other maker's 10 rounders which are simply blocked to 10 round capacity but otherwise function normally.

The issue with the Glock 10 round 17/19 mags is they took a mag that worked and redesigned it to work as a single stack instead of just blocking it off and using the proven double stack design.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    10 round HK pistol mags work fine, as do many other maker's 10 rounders which are simply blocked to 10 round capacity but otherwise function normally.

The issue with the Glock 10 round 17/19 mags is they took a mag that worked and redesigned it to work as a single stack instead of just blocking it off and using the proven double stack design.
    Good to know. I've read where DocGKR and others have tested these 10 round mags for Glocks and that's how they determined them to be unreliable. Have any agencies likewise tested P30 10 rounders? Though I don't see why they would...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Good to know. I've read where DocGKR and others have tested these 10 round mags for Glocks and that's how they determined them to be unreliable. Have any agencies likewise tested P30 10 rounders? Though I don't see why they would...
    No, I don’t know of any such testing or why an agency would need to do such testing.

Don’t overthink this. In general double stack pistol magazines that are merely blocked to reduce capacity work just fine, this is true of all quality makers, HK, Wolford, Smith and Wesson, Beretta, etc.

The Glock magazines are the exception to this rule because Glock chose to re-design the 10 round magazines as single stacks instead of double stacks like a normal Glock magazine.

Glock themselves, in their armor’s classes recommend against using the 10 round 17 and 19 magazines for Life – safety purposes.

Again, don’t overthink it

I agree with the above. I've been running 10 round HK mags over 2 decades. The P30 mag is just an extended body version of the USPc and P2000 magazine which has a long reliable history. I have zero qualms about using any HK 10 round magazine.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 10-03-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I know there are some slight differences between the USPc/P2000 and the P30 mags but as an analog - I have yet to have a mag related issue in thousands of rounds running 10 round USPc magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I know there are some slight differences between the USPc/P2000 and the P30 mags but as an analog - I have yet to have a mag related issue in thousands of rounds running 10 round USPc magazines.
    Same here... many thousands of rounds through USPc/P2000 magazines in 9mm, 40, and 357 Sig; and USP FS magazines in 45 acp; all 10-round California-compliant, with not a single magazine related problem, ever. They are a robust, durable and very reliable design.

When I lived in NY I used a USP9, P2000sk, P30sk, and multiple VP9s with NY compliant ten round magazines for carry and IDPA/USPSA with never a malfunction no matter the competition or carry ammunition. Much of it in the rain and snow of upstate NY.
    IDPA : A454752
    USPSA : TY91150

I'm going to go to the range today and fire the first shots through the P30 using the 10 rounders. Sounds like they're fine, so thanks for the input.

I'm starting with 200 rounds of Winchester 9mm NATO, as from what I've been reading the P30 tends to prefer hotter ammunition at least when brand new. Then I'll move to 124 grain Lawman and AE.

So I just got back from the range. I loved the way the P30 shot. I forgot my shot timer but I was definitely faster than with the HK45c. However, I was more accurate with the HK45c even at speed.

I really enjoyed the way the P30 shot, but out of about 400 rounds I did have a stoppage at about the 350 mark using Winchester 9mm NATO ammo. The spent casing was caught in the ejection port at about a 45 degree angle. It attempted to feed the next round, leading to a sticky magazine. Name:  7774F4EF-3B49-4C90-AA97-B3C2A4AE27CF.jpeg
Views: 354
Size:  78.6 KBName:  7774F4EF-3B49-4C90-AA97-B3C2A4AE27CF.jpeg
Views: 354
Size:  78.6 KB

The photo is after I removed the magazine but before I cleared the stoppage. Also of note was that the stoppage happened when it attempted to feed the first round of the magazine (I had +1 in the chamber) using the ban compliant 10 round mag. Could this have been caused by too much pressure from the fully loaded 10 round magazine?

I’m rather bummed because I typically want to see at least 1,000 failure free shots and preferably 2,000 before I’ll trust a firearm for carry. With my limited supply of 9mm and the utter lack of availability for it, starting from square one again is a tall order, especially when I already have a well-proven 9mm in the G19.

Any insight/advice would be appreciated.

User Tag List